Brake/Rotor Issues/Loud Squeaking - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake/Rotor Issues/Loud Squeaking

I have a 2019 Platinum with only 12,000 miles on it. Probably 2,000 mi ago my brakes developed a loud squeaking from the front under light braking. I thought it would go away so I avoided it for a bit. Finally it began driving me nuts so I took it to the dealer (yes I'm aware brakes/rotors are not a warrantied item) and they basically told me my only options were to resurface the rotors (which will reduce braking power and longevity) or to purchase new rotors.

Any thoughts on this? I get they aren't covered under warranty but my truck only has 12,000 miles and this definitely should not be happening. I tow quite frequently and don't want to resurface them and reduce my braking power and longevity of the rotors. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Thanks.

2019 CM Mag Gray CM Platinum with the crappy upgraded JL audio system.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,410 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Do they squeak all the time, or when you first drive it after sitting overnight?
My truck brakes squeal a little almost daily the first few times I brake after it sits overnight.
Especially after a rain, I think the rotors rust easily.

I bugs my wife, but I can't hear it...

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Do they squeak all the time, or when you first drive it after sitting overnight?
My truck brakes squeal a little almost daily the first few times I brake after it sits overnight.
Especially after a rain, I think the rotors rust easily.

I bugs my wife, but I can't hear it...
Exactly. Mine do the same thing. Always have.

Try hard braking after you first hear it. Usually one hard application will stop it. Or I sometimes drag the brake will coasting to a stop.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 2016 1794 with about 30k miles on it and i have the same problem. I would not call the squeaking that loud though (more of an annoyance) but its constant at low brake pressure. Its been doing it for about the last 5k miles. I checked my pads and there is plenty of life left on them so I am just planning on living with it until I need a new set of brake pads and then I will replace the rotors as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We should start a campaign about the brakes/rotors.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM

I have had quite a few trucks over the years and can tell you it is not just a Tundra issue. Have any of you tried slotted rotors? I always had a great experience with them. Under regular conditions there is not much noticeable difference, but under emergency braking, when you have a lifted truck or are towing you can certainly feel the difference. The slots help prevent glazing, give better initial bite, keep the surface of the pad clean and help with heat.

I work with BuyBrakes.com. If anyone needs help selecting brake pads and rotors when the time comes just shoot me a message and I will be happy to help. [email protected]. We run certain specials for forum guys so just let me know your rig setup and what your typical driving style is and we can put a package together for your application.

If you have already gone to BuyBrakes.com and found something you like, shoot me a message with what you are getting and I'll see if I have a coupon code to save you some $$$.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 PM

I switched to slotted rotors and love them, I'm say6for all the new owners, Toyota should take that into consideration and spend the extra money on upgrading all new tundras with slotted rotors or bigger calipers.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This is most likely NOT a rotor problem. And it is probably not a pad issue. For some reason the hardness of the pad and the design of the pad and the rotor, with just the right pressure, creates a harmonic you can hear. It is probably never gong to go away until you do something different.

I would try a couple things. First, try making a couple hard stops from highway speeds and see if that helps. You might have a hard spot on the pad and this might help. Chances of this fixing the problem are about 1 in 10, but it might work and its free to try.

If that does not fix it, I suggest changing the pads. I would not use the OEM pads, because the new pads will be so similar to the ones you have, you will probably have the same problem. You could really install most any other pad. Your choice. I suggest installing the Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. They have always worked great for me many times over (including my last 3 Tundras), they don't get brake dust on your wheels, and stop very nice. With the miles you have on your truck, I would not bother to turn the rotors. After a couple hard stops, the pads and rotors will be a perfect fit. If you have a shop do this, they are going to tell you to turn the rotors when you put new pads on it. It does not really need that, but it is up to you. I would not turn them because it just reduces the life of the rotor and makes them more likely to warp. To avoid this, I would install them myself to avoid the conversation, but that is up to you.

I think if you change the pads, it will be the least expensive way to make this problem go away.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Depending on your driving style, cargo weight, towing or not, etc. brake pads go through a lot. You find many times that squeaky or squealing brakes with plenty of meat left on them have glazed. Many things can cause this including not resurfacing or replacing rotors when you change out the brake pads. Overtime sediment and road debris can become imbedded. The pads are what make the noise, but the cause can vary.

Depending on how glazed the pads are, the noise may only happen when the brakes are cold and fade once they have heated OR stay noisy your entire trip.

Going back to the rotors for a moment, slotted options (like those from Stoptech - https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/b...igh-carbon-126) help release heat friction as well as help remove debris from the pad surface.

I think Vk Gopalakrishnan (Mechanical Engineering Design Consultant) had it broken down quite well:

Brake pads glaze mainly under the following conditions.

1. Continuous application of brake, such as during a hill descent, can cause the pad contact surfaces to reach very high temperatures, and result in glazing of the pad surface.

2. Very light application of brakes during most of the time can cause the pad surface to get “polished” to some extent. For a pad to give good braking performance, the friction surface must necessarily have certain amount of wear during braking, so that fresh surface is exposed for subsequent brake applications. When the pad surface gets polished, there will be negligible wear, and the glazed/polished surface will significantly reduce the braking performance. It can also generate squealing noise in some cases.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Here is a link you can use for more info on brake issues and selections:

https://www.buybrakes.com/help/
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,136 Times in 2,063 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-BuyBrakes.com View Post
Depending on your driving style, cargo weight, towing or not, etc. brake pads go through a lot. You find many times that squeaky or squealing brakes with plenty of meat left on them have glazed. Many things can cause this including not resurfacing or replacing rotors when you change out the brake pads. Overtime sediment and road debris can become imbedded. The pads are what make the noise, but the cause can vary.

Depending on how glazed the pads are, the noise may only happen when the brakes are cold and fade once they have heated OR stay noisy your entire trip.

Going back to the rotors for a moment, slotted options (like those from Stoptech - https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/b...igh-carbon-126) help release heat friction as well as help remove debris from the pad surface.

I think Vk Gopalakrishnan (Mechanical Engineering Design Consultant) had it broken down quite well:

Brake pads glaze mainly under the following conditions.

1. Continuous application of brake, such as during a hill descent, can cause the pad contact surfaces to reach very high temperatures, and result in glazing of the pad surface.

2. Very light application of brakes during most of the time can cause the pad surface to get “polished” to some extent. For a pad to give good braking performance, the friction surface must necessarily have certain amount of wear during braking, so that fresh surface is exposed for subsequent brake applications. When the pad surface gets polished, there will be negligible wear, and the glazed/polished surface will significantly reduce the braking performance. It can also generate squealing noise in some cases.
problem I ran into is I called two shops and neither will let you bring in your own parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4x4

2013 Ram Sport 4x4, 8-speed, 3.92, 5.7, 4x4, Borla exhaust
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper ST Maxx
2001 tundra Access Cab 4x4
2000 tundra Access Cab 4x4
1998 Tacoma extended cab 4x4
1997 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
1995.5 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:19 PM

You are right they are not under warranty but if enough people complain about this issue Toyota will do a campaign to have them all changed out..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,136 Times in 2,063 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfatboyz1721 View Post
You are right they are not under warranty but if enough people complain about this issue Toyota will do a campaign to have them all changed out..
Keep dreaming my brotha, won’t happen

2016 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4x4

2013 Ram Sport 4x4, 8-speed, 3.92, 5.7, 4x4, Borla exhaust
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper ST Maxx
2001 tundra Access Cab 4x4
2000 tundra Access Cab 4x4
1998 Tacoma extended cab 4x4
1997 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
1995.5 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in