Maintenance Required Soon ? ? ? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Maintenance Required Soon ? ? ?

Getting that notice upon startup .2018 Tundra with close to 10K kilometers . It that notice regarding my first oil change required or will I get a separate notice about oil change required later on ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My 2015, at the 5-10k mark does that too. They all do I believe. More than likely, just a reminder unless you have other lights on.

On my 2015, I make sure the Trip mileage reader is on the A display. Turn the truck off, hold the black small stalk down and turn truck back.

It will show a message “Resetting Maintenance” or something like that.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, it indicates that you are due for service. That light comes on every 5K miles on US Toyotas. My dealer changes the oil every 5K miles but I don't think they all do that.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Guys. I expected something like a change oil now notice would show rather than just maintenance which could mean any number of things. So I am assuming it means oil which is actually well over the kilometers that I have changed oil in the past on other vehicles . .I have done my own oil changes on every vehicle I have owned but with this one I will have the fun of dealing with the skid plate which I will probably just leave off .My driving is 100% highway driving .Yes , I have watched oil change videos for Tundra .
No special filter wrench or oil filter available locally except on special order so amazon here I come .
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,422 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
8000 kilometers is around 5000 miles.
Forgive me for stating miles..

Oil changes every 10K MILES or 16094 kilometers if you have a non-Flexfuel engine.
I've read the Flexfuel need every 5K MILES or 8000 kilometers, but I could be wrong.

The Maintenance Required Soon light will come on every 5K miles or 8000 kilometers for tire rotation regardless.

You should have 2 years or 24000 miles / 38625 kilometers free maintenance on your 2018.
At least we do in the free world of the MAGA USA.

Let Toyota do the oil changes if they are paying for them...

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 05-01-2019 at 02:08 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

When you do your own oil changes or tire rotations, this is the instruction for canceling the Maintenance Required Soon warning.

https://itstillruns.com/reset-requir...a-5910013.html

Step 1
Turn your key to the "On" notch, and press your trip odometer knob until "Trip A" is displayed.

Step 2
Turn your key to the "Off" notch. Press and hold the trip odometer knob. While holding the knob, turn the key back to the "On" notch.

Step 3
Wait for the system to reset. Continue holding the trip odometer knob while the "----" symbol flashes on the odometer.

Release the trip odometer knob when "Trip A" is displayed again. Turn your ignition off, and then turn it back on. The "Maintenance Required" light will be reset.

Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 05-01-2019 at 02:12 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
8000 kilometers is around 5000 miles.
Forgive me for stating miles..

Oil changes every 10K MILES or 16094 kilometers if you have a non-Flexfuel engine.
I've read the Flexfuel need every 5K MILES or 8000 kilometers, but I could be wrong.

The Maintenance Required Soon light will come on every 5K miles or 8000 kilometers for tire rotation regardless.

You should have 2 years or 24000 miles / 38625 kilometers free maintenance on your 2018.
At least we do in the free world of the MAGA USA.

Let Toyota do the oil changes if they are paying for them...
Answering close to midnight here and thanks for the heads up on the free maintenance .I have never owned a vehicle in Canada where I am that has oil/filter changes free under warranty but I will call the dealer 125KM from home tomorrow and check if it is true here. like in the states . That would be wonderful. I already ordered the Tundra filter wrench and filter earlier this evening on amazon but they won't go to waste and can be used after warranty .
Yes , everything is metric in Canada now and I hate it . At 83 years young I spend too much of my life doing Imperial/Metric conversions .I was brought up on imperial measurement and will NEVER get used to the stupid (in my opinion) metric guessing game before doing conversions . .
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyo View Post
Answering close to midnight here and thanks for the heads up on the free maintenance .I have never owned a vehicle in Canada where I am that has oil/filter changes free under warranty but I will call the dealer 125KM from home tomorrow and check if it is true here. like in the states . That would be wonderful. I already ordered the Tundra filter wrench and filter earlier this evening on amazon but they won't go to waste and can be used after warranty .
Yes , everything is metric in Canada now and I hate it . At 83 years young I spend too much of my life doing Imperial/Metric conversions .I was brought up on imperial measurement and will NEVER get used to the stupid (in my opinion) metric guessing game before doing conversions . .
As long as you're going to root around under there at some point and do it yourself, I'll suggest you consider buying and installing a Fumoto valve and replace the OEM drain plug. Just search on Fumoto valve and it will take you to their web site. I like the convenience of just reaching under the vehicle and turning the valve to get the drain process started.

I cut a hole and made an access flap in the skid plate. I decided to keep the skid plate in place since I do a lot of rural driving and odd pieces of debris are always a possibility. There have been threads on this site that show some of the ways to modify the factory skid plate.

You might not want to go to the trouble, but I've watched a number of your posts...and you seem like you're a fairly adventurous type when many your age are in retirement homes, or other places....so...

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
barnyo (05-01-2019)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK , I checked with the Toyota dealer and no oil changes in Canada without an expensive extra maintenance policy at time of purchase so I will go at the first oil change myself.Filter and filter wrench on it's way from amazon and now I will look for a buy on a couple gallons of 0-20 synthetic oil . Dealer said Toyota recommends 16000 KM which I feel is ridiculous .The dealer recommends every 8000 km which is close to your 5000 miles in USA so after this first 10000 km change I will do next ones at 8000 and keep all receipts just in case . . . . . . . Dealer price on changing oil and filter is $85.00 and requires a 250 Kkm round trip and waste of part of a day .I am sure I will save quite a bit doing it myself .
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:58 AM
Premium Member

Unless you have a Flexfuel oil changes are recommended at 16000 KM or 10K miles.
You'll find that in your glove box owners manual.

My oil was just as clean on the dipstick at 9000 miles as it was at 1000 miles.
But if you feel better doing is less than that, that is certainly your choice.

That sucks that they don't cover the first 24 months/ 25K miles of maintenance in Canada like they offer down here.
I guess their safety and dependability only counts to us yahoos..

https://www.toyota.com/toyota-care

Toyota is devoted to safety and dependability, and proper vehicle maintenance is important to both.
That's why we include a no cost maintenance plan* with the purchase or lease of every new Toyota for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
24-hour roadside assistance** is also included for 2 years and unlimited miles.
Welcome to the ToyotaCare advantage.

*ToyotaCare plan covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first. See Toyota dealer for details and exclusions.
Valid only in the continental U.S. and Alaska.
**Roadside Assistance coverage is 2 years unlimited mileage. Does not include parts and fluids, except emergency fuel delivery. See Toyota Dealer for details and exclusions. Valid only in the continental U.S. and Alaska.

Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 05-02-2019 at 02:04 AM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:24 AM

To me, once I had the access through the skid plate solved, the next obstacle is draining that filter housing prior to unscrewing it from the mount. You might already know this, and apologies if you do, but the oil filter will hold perhaps as much as 10 fluid ounces of oil. My first oil change resulted in mostly filling a 12oz beer bottle with oil from that filter housing.

There's a drain port on the bottom of the filter housing; it's behind the cast screw-on cover on the bottom of the housing. There are many you-tube vids, if you'd like to see how it's done.

I hate that aspect of the oil change. I've been doing changes on my truck since the freebies ran out; that's seven total to this point. I'm just now getting reliably proficient at draining the filter housing and avoiding having oil get all over everything when I take that filter housing off.

You'll probably get a plastic fitting with the filter when it arrives. That fitting jams into the drain port. Have something under there to catch that oil because it flows instantly as soon as you jam the fitting into the drain port.
Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IamRay; 05-02-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

What do y'all do with the used oil?
I have an oriellys near me that takes it, but there is ALWAYS a sign saying it is full.

Texas Tundra Group #183
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Also for the skid plate removal issue, if you have money to burn, the TRD Pro skid plate is an option.
I found mine on eBay with free shipping a few years ago..

Texas Tundra Group #183
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I find changing the oil in my Tundra an enjoyable experience.
That plastic drain attachment is the cat's meow!
I do have a lift though.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
What do y'all do with the used oil?
I have an oriellys near me that takes it, but there is ALWAYS a sign saying it is full.
I live in a county that has a full-service recycling center and they'll accept it. The only recycling charges they levy are for electronics.

When I was dependent on the auto parts stores, I found that they were much more willing to accept it if one had one of those frequent customer reward cards.

Are you sure the sign isn't out there just to discourage non-customers who are not likely to ever buy anything there? You might ask...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in