User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Frame Recall Coating

Went to the dealership this morning for the frame recall inspection on my 2008 Tundra DC and they said it looked good but they were going to do the rustproofing, would need it for about 4 days. I've done quite a bit of research and see some conversation regarding the process. What I haven't seen is, for the owners that have had this rustproofing done, is there anything you wished you had known beforehand that you knew afterwards that you would have done? For instance, I'm almost 100% sure I am going to be taking off my aftermarket wheels and putting on my stock set up. Not so much for the overspray or however they apply it but more for the damage that can be done to the larger wheels with the spline lugs and center cap, if they even remove them at all. Any heads up would be much appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2underpar, when I had my 2003 Tundra done it was not a big deal. I didn't see the process but basically it looked like they sprayed black paint on my frame. It had my garage smelling like tar for about a week. They were very careful as I didn't notice any over-spray. You shouldn't have to remove anything from your truck but staying on the side of caution can't hurt. Other than the smell and having my truck for a few days it was not a big deal. The only drawback is that you can't tell under the paint if your truck is still rusting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigwil806 For This Useful Post:
2underpar (04-11-2019)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback, I actually had it done about a week ago and thank god I decided to take off my summer wheel setup and put stock back on, they torqued the lugs so tight I had to use a 3' breaker bar with another 3' extension to get them off. Had I kept my summer wheels on with spline lugs I'm guessing it would have been a disaster. Thankfully I thought the extra work of swapping them out would pay off and while I'll never know for sure in my mind it's certain. The application was similar to what you said, they did a pretty neat job considering but surprised at how wet it still is. Who knows how well it will help but given that my truck is a 2008 I guess it can't hurt. I've read a few posts stating the coating will trap moisture but I kind of find that hard to believe.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Why does every place torque the lug nuts so tight? I had the frame on my 2007 replaced and when I went to take my winter wheels off right after, I could not budge them. I had to break out the compressor and air gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in