Weird gas issue - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weird gas issue

4 Month old Tundra. This morning I pulled in for gas like every Monday. I started pumping gas until it stopped. It stopped at 8 gallons from half a tank. I know I have the 38 gallon tank so this didn't make sense however the gauge said full. On the way to work the fuel gauge dropped fast and by the time I got to work it was already on 3/4 a tank. On the way home I stopped at the same station. I filled up again but this time I was able to get another 8 gallons of gas. The gauge again is at full but this time I feel it's right. What do you guys think happened?
JerrypWhite is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JerrypWhite For This Useful Post:
ACDan (03-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
Quit eating eggs!

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
Quit eating eggs!
I get the joke but not really enjoying it right now. Any real help would be appeciated.
JerrypWhite is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrypWhite View Post
I get the joke but not really enjoying it right now. Any real help would be appeciated.
How about set your odometer and get an accurate reading.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
How about set your odometer and get an accurate reading.
This will indeed give me an accurate reading but it doesn't fix the problem. The problem being the fuel gauge reporting wrong on a truck with two payments made. I thought maybe there is something I'm missing, doing wrong, or something I can reset. I've never had this happen on any vehicle and it concerns me for a vehicle this new.
JerrypWhite is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrypWhite View Post
This will indeed give me an accurate reading but it doesn't fix the problem. The problem being the fuel gauge reporting wrong on a truck with two payments made. I thought maybe there is something I'm missing, doing wrong, or something I can reset. I've never had this happen on any vehicle and it concerns me for a vehicle this new.
Did you use the same gas pump?

If it happens again I could see the problem but what if you just didn't fill it up all the way that morning.

My needle stays close to F for a long time before it starts dropping faster.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
Did you use the same gas pump?

If it happens again I could see the problem but what if you just didn't fill it up all the way that morning.

My needle stays close to F for a long time before it starts dropping faster.
Exactly, the gauge in previous fill-ups stayed on F quite a while. I drive approximately 12 miles one way to work and can make it almost a week and have 1/2 tank left. This morning when I ran the pump it clicked and stopped on around 8 gallons. I couldn't believe it because it's a 38 gallon tank. I turned on the truck and it reported full. I then still tried to pump more gas because it didn't make sense but it clicked immediately. Is it possible to have a substantial amount of foam in gas to do this?
JerrypWhite is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrypWhite View Post
Exactly, the gauge in previous fill-ups stayed on F quite a while. I drive approximately 12 miles one way to work and can make it almost a week and have 1/2 tank left. This morning when I ran the pump it clicked and stopped on around 8 gallons. I couldn't believe it because it's a 38 gallon tank. I turned on the truck and it reported full. I then still tried to pump more gas because it didn't make sense but it clicked immediately. Is it possible to have a substantial amount of foam in gas to do this?
It's a mystery.

I wouldn't over think it yet. If there is indeed a problem it can be fixed.

Why don't you try running it down until the low fuel light comes before refilling. Then go back to your normal Monday method.

If you can't repeat the problem the dealership damn sure won't fix it.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
It's a mystery.

I wouldn't over think it yet. If there is indeed a problem it can be fixed.

Why don't you try running it down until the low fuel light comes before refilling. Then go back to your normal Monday method.

If you can't repeat the problem the dealership damn sure won't fix it.
That's what I was thinking. Run it down to empty. I haven't gone past 1/2 since I got it. Thanks. Hopefully i can report back it never happened again.
JerrypWhite is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JerrypWhite For This Useful Post:
ACDan (03-26-2019)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
ACDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,745
Thanks: 20,182
Thanked 13,315 Times in 6,798 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5637 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrypWhite View Post
That's what I was thinking. Run it down to empty. I haven't gone past 1/2 since I got it. Thanks. Hopefully i can report back it never happened again.
I bet it will be fine.

I can't think of any reason your gauge would make the pump cut off.

Lay off the eggs for awhile!

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
ACDan is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
2underpar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 138
Thanks: 12
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I agree, I’d see if it happens again before getting too crazy about it, hopefully it was an isolated anomaly.
2underpar is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: I'm Just Outside of Weird, TX
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 265
Thanked 654 Times in 441 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrypWhite View Post
4 Month old Tundra. This morning I pulled in for gas like every Monday. I started pumping gas until it stopped. It stopped at 8 gallons from half a tank. I know I have the 38 gallon tank so this didn't make sense however the gauge said full. On the way to work the fuel gauge dropped fast and by the time I got to work it was already on 3/4 a tank. On the way home I stopped at the same station. I filled up again but this time I was able to get another 8 gallons of gas. The gauge again is at full but this time I feel it's right. What do you guys think happened?
My theory: Your tank isn't venting properly through the charcoal cannister as it's being filled. It shutting off at exactly the same volume every time is coincidence. The pump nozzle senses the pressure in the tank, and shuts off when it reaches a certain pressure level...your tank is not venting so it's getting there prematurely.

Get it back to the dealer for warranty replacement of the charcoal cannister (expensive). You may not have done this, but in the future, never try to put additional gasoline once it clicks off. It's asking for trouble with these touchy "nanny" vehicles.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
OldGuy43 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
The charcoal canister is likely.

Another possibility is the tip over valve. I may have the wrong name for it, but there is a mechanism in the tank that prevents fuel from leaking out if the truck tips over. There have been a few postings here and on another Tundra forum where that valve malfunctions and won't let the tank fill.

In any case, it is a warranty issue and should be taken care of by the dealer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Geezer is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Aaron713's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 100
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
You tell us how much you put in, and how often. Can you include how many miles you drove on those 8 gallons between Mondays? You're describing 2 payments worth of driving time (two months is 8 Mondays) and you've been to the gas station 8 times to fill up.
Aaron713 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome