User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Coolant leak

I purchased the truck a month ago with 30k miles on it as a used Toyota certified truck. So I'm covered, I'm happy and thankful for that. It's a 2017 crewmax. When I returned home after buying it (200 mile trip) I noticed the next day it was low on coolant. So I topped it off thinking maybe they drained it some during the certification process and forgot to fill back up? Wishful thinking...

Now it's using about an inch of coolant every 100 miles or so. I've got an appointment Thursday with my local dealer and ultimately it'll be thier problem and I hope they figure it out quickly. In the mean time I'm still searching for the leak.

So far..
Nothing in the oil, it's clean as can be.
Can't find any drips noticible.
Water pump doesn't seem to be leaking, but I also don't know where the weep hole is in these trucks yet to be honest.

I am stumped. Could it be that it's just a loose fitting/ hose and it's evaporating before I can see a drip? Any advice? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Water pump weep hole is right under the water pump...you’d see a lot of dried pink coolant if it was truly leaking that much. Most likely you have a head gasket that is bad and it’s burning the coolant, hence why you see no puddles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian20 For This Useful Post:
lungpuncher1 (03-23-2019)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
Water pump weep hole is right under the water pump...you’d see a lot of dried pink coolant if it was truly leaking that much. Most likely you have a head gasket that is bad and it’s burning the coolant, hence why you see no puddles.
Thanks, definitely not water pump then.

How on earth does a 2 year old truck with 30k miles have a head gasket issue already? That's disappointing if the case.

Can the dealer find that pretty quickly (special tool/test?) even if it's evaporating quickly? Even if the oil looks good?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Its probably the water pump. It can leak a little at a time and you not see it. The fan can cause it almost instantly evaporate on a very slow leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to sundance For This Useful Post:
lungpuncher1 (03-23-2019)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungpuncher1 View Post
I am stumped. Could it be that it's just a loose fitting/ hose and it's evaporating before I can see a drip? Any advice? Thanks
A fairly common problem I see on the 5.7 is a leak/seep from the Heat Exchanger Cover that is located in the V of the engine.
Shine a light under your intake manifold and look for pink coolant crusties around the cover. It almost looks like a head gasket leak.
Here is a diagram, it is marked as No.1 Heat Exchanger Cover.
Attached Images
File Type: png Heat exchanger cover.png (230.1 KB, 32 views)

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, A1000 FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViktorG For This Useful Post:
ACDan (03-23-2019), lungpuncher1 (03-23-2019), OldGuy43 (03-21-2019)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Took it to the dealership. They said no leaks. Which I kinda figured they would. I was hoping they would do some sort of head gasket check for piece of mind. But they acted like I spoke Chinese when i asked if they did that.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. I have an alignment appointment next week with them. If it drops more I'll tell them to try again...

Thanks for the help and I'll keep this updated for future reference if anyone has an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to lungpuncher1 For This Useful Post:
OldGuy43 (03-23-2019)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
There's only a few basic places for that coolant to go.

1. It can leak on the outside of the engine somewhere. Dropping the coolant level in the tank an inch every 100 miles is a lot, in my opinion, and it should be easy to see. Nobody has seen it, so I'd set this one aside for now. I see Viktor's comments about the heat exchanger, and he's much more knowledgable than I am on this. I think the amount you're talking about should be very visible without a lot a work to find it.

2. It can go into the crankcase. You would see physical evidence of that in the oil or under the oil cap. Again, it's a lot of coolant that you're talking about.

3. It can go out the tail pipe. That means a head gasket, or a crack between the cylinder wall and the water jacket, or a crack in one of the heads. Last time I had to be involved in one of these, there was a test using dye put into the coolant that would leave evidence at the tail pipe.

If the dealership doesn't want to do that, find another dealership.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IamRay; 03-24-2019 at 08:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
lungpuncher1 (03-24-2019)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Other than the original drop. (Which I never looked in the first place to see where the coolant level was when I left the dealership after purchasing it.) it hasn't dropped since. Fluctuated a tad up or down yes, but hasn't dropped.

I'm wondering now if it was low originally due to them possibly replacing water pump or something before they toyota certified it? Maybe they didn't fill it back up or possibly it got air locked? I'm just brainstorming. It's quite a mystery really cause it's fine so far now.

Either way it hasn't moved, I'm keeping a close eye on it though.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I understood your original post to say that the leak was continuous.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRay View Post
I understood your original post to say that the leak was continuous.
It went down a little after a couple drives after I initially filled it back up. Which made me think it was going to keep going down. But after that post, it's stopped. Almost like it was fluctuating or equalizing in the reservoir.

But for now it's solid. Still very confusing why it was so low originally. Honestly it made me paranoid about it.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM

It may have had an air bubble in it and just needed to "burp".
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
It may have had an air bubble in it and just needed to "burp".
That's what I'm thinking. I know I sound crazy but it was seriously confusing to me considering that I just bought it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
Its probably the water pump. It can leak a little at a time and you not see it. The fan can cause it almost instantly evaporate on a very slow leak.
Coolant really doesn't evap readily and when it finally does will leave tell tail residue every time . .

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Coolant really doesn't evap readily and when it finally does will leave tell tail residue every time . .
You're talking about leaving scale or mineral deposits. Which is true of older systems where common tap water was used. However, most coolant now is premixed and uses demineralized water. If the coolant isn't very old and as such.......hasn't picked up metals or minerals from the system components, then it will not leave hardly any residue behind after evaporation.

Which is why I said what I said. Granted. Most leaks are obvious but I have seen slow leaks that weren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in