Truck, and now dealership issues... - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
That's not what your owner's manual says.

Unless you dont have flex fuel for some odd reason.
Correct. Mine is not a flex fuel.

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM

IG: @kt_harb.protundra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
It shouldn't matter what the mileage is, if it is in for 6 month service, oil should be changed. Possibly camera wasn't running if you had it set to ignition turn on.

The shudder, if it is a CM, it is common, a carrier drop helps. I know it sounds goofy, but it just helps the drive line angle enough to make the shudder go away that you feel on take off/first gear. You can search it and likely that is the shudder you feel. The vibration could be a plethora of things, including but not limited to tire balance.
Cameras are set to ignition on, but the videos from both cameras stop when they parked it and start when I picked it up, no videos in-between. So unless they pushed the truck without starting it, they didn't do jack-shit.

I already have a half inch dif drop, should it be more?

I agree about the oil, they should have changed it, but the really f'ed up part is that they bald-faced lied to me saying they did all of the services listed.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 13,326 Times in 6,803 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Quoted: 5638 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktharbour6 View Post
Correct. Mine is not a flex fuel.

Lucky bastard!

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
Lucky bastard!
I think being on the east coast helps that. I know nothing about flex fuel vehicles though. Are they more maintenance or something?

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
If it were a non-flex, then they only change the oil every 12months, or 10k miles, whichever comes first. If op's truck is non-flex, then I could see them not changing it, but the rest of the service, tire rotation, etc, should have been done. In my region it is all flex, so I forget. Most Tundra's are flex it seems. Stupid gvmnt.

Your diff drop has nothing to do with the drive shaft carrier bearing drop, which that is where the shudder comes from. Dropping it with 2 5/16 thick plates on each side stopped my shudder on my 2010, my 2017 I haven't done anything with yet. It's there, but I know what it is.

As for the cameras, when a truck comes in my shop and is recording, we leave it alone, and tell the techs around to watch what they say. We respect peoples property no matter what, but we also like to talk shit to eachother, and some customers wouldn't appreciate the banter about how someones wife must be tired from the night before, typically the response is something like "We went to bed early, she wouldn't give me any..." and then the next response is "well, she didn't say no to me..." etc.

Shop talk is normal, just we make sure it doesn't happen on cam.

If the cameras were set to ignition, if they didn't start it to change the oil, and didn't start or move it to do rotation, then it would not have been recording, unless they disco'd the cameras before starting, which would be odd. Unless they have a policy about it, in which case they should tell you, especially if you ask.

I have had to disco a breathalyzer, and some other equipment once that was just so badly rigged that it had to be disconnected for safety. But camera's we will let em roll.

I have had issues with service, one oil change that was either not done, or done on a cold drain, or had improper weight. I leaned to improper weight. They re-changed it, no questions asked. I have had more issues than that. But I have a great relationship with my dealership and the service manager now. One huge issue, they made it right. I drop gift cards for lunch sometimes. It's cheap, $25, I have a stack of unused ones too that I can just randomly hand out as I won't use them. Still gotta drop one for the last service. I help them with other stuff too, they know me by name when they see my truck, good or bad. I have gotten a couple of free alignments by their master tech. Only the master tech is allowed to do most things on my truck, including the service.

Maybe a sit down with the service manager is due, or find another dealership and have a sit down first and explain your issues. They can't re-do the service if the first dealer billed yota for it however. But might be good in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If it were a non-flex, then they only change the oil every 12months, or 10k miles, whichever comes first. If op's truck is non-flex, then I could see them not changing it, but the rest of the service, tire rotation, etc, should have been done. In my region it is all flex, so I forget. Most Tundra's are flex it seems. Stupid gvmnt.
My truck is non-flex fuel.

Quote:
Your diff drop has nothing to do with the drive shaft carrier bearing drop, which that is where the shudder comes from. Dropping it with 2 5/16 thick plates on each side stopped my shudder on my 2010, my 2017 I haven't done anything with yet. It's there, but I know what it is.
OK, thanks for this, I'll call a local mechanic and get this done asap.

Quote:
As for the cameras, when a truck comes in my shop and is recording, we leave it alone, and tell the techs around to watch what they say. We respect peoples property no matter what, but we also like to talk shit to eachother, and some customers wouldn't appreciate the banter about how someones wife must be tired from the night before, typically the response is something like "We went to bed early, she wouldn't give me any..." and then the next response is "well, she didn't say no to me..." etc.

Shop talk is normal, just we make sure it doesn't happen on cam.

If the cameras were set to ignition, if they didn't start it to change the oil, and didn't start or move it to do rotation, then it would not have been recording, unless they disco'd the cameras before starting, which would be odd. Unless they have a policy about it, in which case they should tell you, especially if you ask.
I had two cameras in the cab, one mounted to the windshield and one hidden in the back of the cab they almost for sure would not have seen. Both cameras show the same thing. Them parking it and me picking it up. Nothing in-between.

Quote:
Maybe a sit down with the service manager is due, or find another dealership and have a sit down first and explain your issues. They can't re-do the service if the first dealer billed yota for it however. But might be good in the future.
I did, I sat and was calm and asked him about each and every item on the list and he assured me they were all done. However, he did say in a follow up phone call that that oil was not changed because of low mileage. I asked why it was on the list of things done and he changed the subject. I didn't push any further.

Appreciate your post and advice on the carrier drop.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheNaikan For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-23-2019)
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
As for the camera's, I should have clarified... If you just have an add-a-fuse under the dash going to both, that may have been pulled, which would have stopped the turn-on for both cameras.

I assume the truck moved from when you dropped it off, to when you picked it up?

As for the carrier drop, it's simple. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. Remove one bolt, loosen the other, insert spacer, insert removed bolt. Remove bolt you just loosened previously, insert spacer, tighten both bolts. I suggest adding loctite, I just use that on most things.

I pretty much made these, but I used two 5/16" thick pieces for each side. Might have been 1/4", as I didn't lift the rear, and I was able to use the stock bolts. Honestly, I forget and don't feel like searching my posts as it was about 8 years ago. I just plan on doing it again with whatever stock I have around. https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/t...UaArSSEALw_wcB

Tuff country also makes on, it's cheaper. I only posted that one to clarify that it's not anything major.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
TheNaikan (02-24-2019)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
As for the camera's, I should have clarified... If you just have an add-a-fuse under the dash going to both, that may have been pulled, which would have stopped the turn-on for both cameras.
Understood, but each camera has it's own power source and the rear one was not disturbed. I would have noticed due to the way I had it set up.

Quote:
I assume the truck moved from when you dropped it off, to when you picked it up?
I dropped it off in their service lane where you just get out of the truck and they drive it off from there. The truck did not move from where they parked it to where I picked it up, no.

Quote:
As for the carrier drop, it's simple. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. Remove one bolt, loosen the other, insert spacer, insert removed bolt. Remove bolt you just loosened previously, insert spacer, tighten both bolts. I suggest adding loctite, I just use that on most things.
Does sound easy, unfortunately our base does not even allow us to wash our cars let alone work on them. I would have to go off base somewhere and that might look weird. I don't mind supporting our local mechanics, I know a retired army tank mechanic that does this kind of stuff.

Quote:
I pretty much made these, but I used two 5/16" thick pieces for each side. Might have been 1/4", as I didn't lift the rear, and I was able to use the stock bolts. Honestly, I forget and don't feel like searching my posts as it was about 8 years ago. I just plan on doing it again with whatever stock I have around. https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/t...UaArSSEALw_wcB

Tuff country also makes on, it's cheaper. I only posted that one to clarify that it's not anything major.
I'll order those Bilstein ones since everything else on the truck I've had done to the suspension is from them too. Brings me a sense of symmetry

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheNaikan For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-24-2019)
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaikan View Post

Does sound easy, unfortunately our base does not even allow us to wash our cars let alone work on them. I would have to go off base somewhere and that might look weird. I don't mind supporting our local mechanics, I know a retired army tank mechanic that does this kind of stuff.
What base are you on? I have used Many Auto Hobby Shops on Navy, Air Force and Army bases across the U.S. at places I've lived. They are awesome. A place to put your vehicle up on a lift and have all the tools you need for like 6 or 7 dollars an hour. I don't let a dealer touch my vehicles for anything unless it's warranty or too major for me (Ex Army Mechanic). I currently work at and use the small shop on the Navy base here (civilian contractor). Even this small base has 5 lifts.

I laughed when the dealer called me to ask why I hadn't used my free oil changes when I bought my new tundra. Some dealers are great but the high school kid that is the low-man doing oil changes wasn't gonna work on my high dollar vehicle.

Thank you for your service.

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shasta For This Useful Post:
TheNaikan (02-24-2019)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
What base are you on? I have used Many Auto Hobby Shops on Navy, Air Force and Army bases across the U.S. at places I've lived. They are awesome. A place to put your vehicle up on a lift and have all the tools you need for like 6 or 7 dollars an hour. I don't let a dealer touch my vehicles for anything unless it's warranty or too major for me (Ex Army Mechanic). I currently work at and use the small shop on the Navy base here (civilian contractor). Even this small base has 5 lifts.

I laughed when the dealer called me to ask why I hadn't used my free oil changes when I bought my new tundra. Some dealers are great but the high school kid that is the low-man doing oil changes wasn't gonna work on my high dollar vehicle.

Thank you for your service.
PM sent

Last edited by TheNaikan; 02-24-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
So I've been on the receiving end of kind of crap where we bought a RAV4 but the dealer banged it up and didn't tell us and sent it down the street to have it fixed before we saw it. We found out about it after the dealer fixed a window trim twice and the third time we went to a different dealer and they discovered the fact that it had been repaired. We got the dealer to fix the root cause and then dumped the vehicle 6 months later.. and have never been back to that dealer again.

One other possibly about your dealer is that it could be the tech(s) feeding the service manager BS, cause the service manager is not the one doing any of the work. I would follow up with the service manager about the case opened with Toyota. I would also do the trick of putting your initials on the oil filter.. If it doesn't get changed, you can ask why they put your initials on the oil filter.

- Ken

New England Tundra Club Member #41
Tundra Campers Club #22 - 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2018 Tundra Platinum Crewmax, TRD swaybar, TRD Sport Shocks, Timbrens

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You know what's funny (not haha funny) is in one part of the video when the tech is parking it, he is squeezing between two other cars and you can see him crane his neck to the passenger side and say "ut oh" really quietly. I went and looked at the truck but I didn't see any damage. I'll have to go REALLY look now in case they did damage it.

I'd upload the videos but someone here told me that there are dealer mechanics here and they would be able to tell what dealership I am talking about and would probably call them and tell them about this.

I concur about the SM maybe not knowing; maybe his guys are just lazy and didn't feel like doing it.

One thing has occurred to me though: if they put in the records that they did all of that shit, then when I do really hit 6k miles, Toyota won't give me the comped work will they?

Last edited by TheNaikan; 02-27-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My experience tells me that the problem is an out of balance drive shaft. Since you have possible evidence of this dealer not performing the work, it's possible that they never looked at the drive shaft either. I would recommend you take the vehicle into a drive train specialty shop and let them look at it. This is what they do every day so they're fast, reliable and reasonable. I had my drive shaft replaced years ago and it cost less than $150 so it's not a big outlay of cash.

As for the hidden camera, that was brilliant thinking. However, there is a possibility that they are wise to the hidden camera as well. I agree with Powertechn2 in that your camera only works when the ignition is on...we (as readers) don't know for sure. In any event I support your use of hidden cameras. Keeps people honest just like security cameras.

As for the dealership. Please tell us who they are so we can make a mental note to avoid them and to tell all our friends in the area to avoid them.

Live with passion. Give life your best. Mediocre sucks.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I would start researching the Lemon laws in your state. It may be the fastest way to get the matter resolved. I have three Toyota dealers within 30 miles of my house and there is only one that I trust to do work on my vehicles.

Important to do the necessary documentation of what happens at each step and provide written statements as to the problems to the service people. You need to create a paper trail.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Call Toyota Customer Support. Don't say anything about cameras. Be nice. Tell them you know they didn't do what they said they would and they ignored your calls.

That is enough in and of itself to get them in trouble with Toyota. Toyota doesn't play around when it comes to this type of neglect to a customer.

I warn you though. Be prepared that this will royally piss them off. I had to do it to a dealer I went faithfully to for over a decade. Bought like 7 vehicles from them. They hate my guts now and I refuse to go back to them. I do my own maintence again and I'd stopped doing it for 10 years.

IF you really want some revenege. Find someone that knows the owner or write the owner a friendly letter and tell them how unprofessional his team is in the service department. Truth be told, he is probably losing money in service with these people in place.... and he probably knows..... but he might not know why.... because no one has taken the time to contact the owner.

Just a thought. You can't trust anyone anymore to treat your stuff like their stuff. People just don't care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in