TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-maintenance-repair-dealer-warranty-issues/)
-   -   Can't Fuel (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-maintenance-repair-dealer-warranty-issues/761414-cant-fuel.html)

wariosport 02-13-2019 05:06 PM

Can't Fuel

Anyone ever had a problem trying to fill up? I can't seem to get it to take any gas.

2016 5.7 FFV Crewmax 49k miles.
Never used E85.
Never top off.
No check engine light.
Just started doing this last week.

Toyota diagnosed (charcoal canister over the phone) when I first encountered issue. I work out in the Oil and Gas industry. My truck has been sitting at my house for a week now. Any ideas?

Anyone ever change out the charcoal canister? Can't seem to find any info on anyone having issue with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pew Professional 02-13-2019 05:53 PM

Is it sending fuel to engine ? Stuttering , stalling , excessive smoking / exhaust ?
Sounds strange to me . Fuel gauge working properly ? No water in the fuel tank?

wariosport 02-13-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pew Professional (Post 9420328)
Is it sending fuel to engine ? Stuttering , stalling , excessive smoking / exhaust ?
Sounds strange to me . Fuel gauge working properly ? No water in the fuel tank?

Truck runs fine with no codes. Gauge working properly. Shouldn't have any water in the tank.

Buckaroo 02-15-2019 08:13 AM

On other vehicles, I have seen caps from fuel injector cleaner/fuel treatment bottles get jammed in the filler tube restricting gas flow.

Buckaroo

24hrsparkey 02-15-2019 08:23 AM

Possibly the lower portion of the filler tube has a "roll over ball" and its stuck.

NOT positive gassers have this device ,, all my ram cummins did though.

THIS is a shot in the dark ,, more likly someone put something in there that stopped up the works.

ViktorG 02-15-2019 09:15 AM

Seen that condition on a customer’s Lexus once.
In that particular case, we found a pair of AA batteries stuck at the bottom of his filler tube after we lowered the tank.
Turned out his kids were playing in the garage and thought it was fun to drop them in there.
Ended up being a $400 game.

restosud 02-15-2019 02:22 PM

if still under warranty ,let dealer deal with it.
or pull off the filler tube and take a look.2 hose clamps only.

Timberwolf2019 02-15-2019 06:55 PM

If you or someone you know has an inspection camera, take a look down the fill tube, you could see anything down there.

1lowlife 02-16-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2019 (Post 9420920)
If you or someone you know has an inspection camera, take a look down the fill tube, you could see anything down there.

^ +1

Bought my dad this for Xmas, it was what he asked for...:|

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if it is safe to push down a gasoline feed tube...

wariosport 02-16-2019 12:30 PM

Have extended warranty. Of course it doesn't cover the charcoal canister. It was replaced this morning. Went to fill up. Still no luck. Came back and asked them to put my old one back. Currently being re-diagnosed. They said they might need to open up a case with Toyota. Currently waiting.

1lowlife 02-16-2019 12:48 PM

Have you run out of gas yet?:eek:

wariosport 02-17-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1lowlife (Post 9421034)
Have you run out of gas yet?:eek:

No. Didn't drive it much after I found out. I've been driving my wife's Tundra.

They replaced the charcoal canister after I told them I was pretty sure it wasn't the problem(I was guessing due to no CEL). Drove it to nearest gas station and.....still the same problem. My truck is currently still at dealership.

I am supposed to get a refund (almost 1100) back on Monday when the Service Manager talks to me. They said they have to open up a case with Toyota. I think their next move is to replace my fuel tank possibly.

IamRay 02-18-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wariosport (Post 9421310)
No. Didn't drive it much after I found out. I've been driving my wife's Tundra.

They replaced the charcoal canister after I told them I was pretty sure it wasn't the problem(I was guessing due to no CEL). Drove it to nearest gas station and.....still the same problem. My truck is currently still at dealership.

I am supposed to get a refund (almost 1100) back on Monday when the Service Manager talks to me. They said they have to open up a case with Toyota. I think their next move is to replace my fuel tank possibly.

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date. It has to be frustrating. I'm interested in the solution. I haven't had this issue, but it will be a good thing to know.

Geezer 02-18-2019 10:08 AM

I would at a minimum buy an inspection camera or pull off the filler tube, both as suggested above, and take a look. A camera that uses your phone or tablet as the screen is less than 50 bucks. A new tank is going to be expensive and the tank itself is not likely to be the problem.

wariosport 02-18-2019 04:07 PM

Just got a call from the Toyota dealership. They ordered me a new fuel tank. They believe the flapper inside is stuck. Luckily, I have the extended warranty and it covers it. I should have my truck by Wednesday.

24hrsparkey 02-18-2019 06:49 PM

Bingo . I get a free hat or some other compensation !!

It's the " roll over ball valve " I mentioned earlier . There are different designs , but that's the component that failed shut . Gas tank over fill valve , 42$ oem part on flea bay

1lowlife 02-19-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wariosport (Post 9421468)
Just got a call from the Toyota dealership. They ordered me a new fuel tank. They believe the flapper inside is stuck. Luckily, I have the extended warranty and it covers it. I should have my truck by Wednesday.

Makes me feel better about buying an extended warranty for my 2014.:)
I bought one for my 2005 and never used it..:eek:

Keep us posted...

Johnny 5 02-19-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey (Post 9421474)
Bingo . I get a free hat or some other compensation !!

It's the " roll over ball valve " I mentioned earlier . There are different designs , but that's the component that failed shut . Gas tank over fill valve , 42$ oem part on flea bay

. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...42c27b60ef.jpg

24hrsparkey 02-19-2019 10:28 AM

Thank you !!

I would like to thank all the little people that provided traction while i stepped on them to climb tall and to reach this pinnacle of my backyard diesel , gasser and flattrack bike crewchiefing career !!

Best Day Ever .

wariosport 02-19-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1lowlife (Post 9421534)
Makes me feel better about buying an extended warranty for my 2014.:)
I bought one for my 2005 and never used it..:eek:

Keep us posted...

I don't usually buy into the extended warranty thing, but I had just spun a bearing on my Evo and a sheared a cam shaft bolt that year on my JCW Mini that year. I spent almost 16k on motors that year before I bought my 2nd Tundra. I didn't want anymore out of pocket costs. So I said F it. Piece of mind is priceless. I'm glad I did now.

Although If I was going to pay for a new tank I would have gone with one of those transflow tanks.

Wacked 02-19-2019 10:48 AM

I'm guessing it's the winter air in your tires.

wariosport 02-21-2019 11:42 AM

Well,

I got my truck back today and happy to say can now put fuel in. Total cost for bill was just under $1800.

24hrsparkey 02-21-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wariosport (Post 9422064)
Well,

I got my truck back today and happy to say can now put fuel in. Total cost for bill was just under $1800.

good lord .
I hope they filled it up with fuel as well .

IamRay 02-21-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wariosport (Post 9421560)
I don't usually buy into the extended warranty thing, but I had just spun a bearing on my Evo and a sheared a cam shaft bolt that year on my JCW Mini that year. I spent almost 16k on motors that year before I bought my 2nd Tundra. I didn't want anymore out of pocket costs. So I said F it. Piece of mind is priceless. I'm glad I did now.

Although If I was going to pay for a new tank I would have gone with one of those transflow tanks.

I think Transferflow quit making tanks for the Tundra. Their site used to have the 46 gallon tank for the Tundra; now it shows no tank for the Tundra. I procrastinated too long. :(

BIGGUY 02-21-2019 11:10 PM

Tank

I was getting ready to order a tank a couple of months ago and looked at Transfer Flows site. About a week later I looked again to place an order and the Tundra tank was gone. I called and talked to a lady there and she said that it was discontinued and no info on whether it would come back at sometime or not. She said that they had gotten a few calls about them though so maybe.

There's a thread over on Ih8mud where someone got the new Toyota 38 gallon tank installed pretty easily into an older Tundra with the new tank and a couple of other parts.

I also found a place that is the US distributor for Long Range Automotive out of Australia. They are Cruiser Brothers out of CA. They have a 46 gallon replacement tank for the Tundra that looks real similar to the TF tank and is priced about the same.