LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Seat Heaters not working

Hello,

I'm hopeing there are more folks out there with failing seat heaters as I've found on the Tacoma site? If so, can you all please let me know your course of action to get a fix at no cost (out of warrenty) Tkx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
So you want out of warranty parts fixed at no cost?

Good luck Bro....

Check your fuses, check your wiring, test your heater pads with a DDM.

If the pads have failed, buy these (yes pay for them) and replace them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 01-23-2019 at 02:08 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
All items have been checked...the problem is the seat heater module has melted and this is a safety issue, as it can cause a fire. Toyota already had a recall on older models and the concern is obviously that they have not fixed the problem so future cars /trucks will continue to experience this issue. Read the Tacoma forums, they have rallied together and contacted the NHTSA with complaints and Toyota is fixing the problem. Yes fixing it and at NO cost to the customer regardless of the warranty status as they do not want another recall on their record The more folks that file complaints for this issue the better chance there will be a recall and all customers will be made aware of this important fire hazard.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I had a Ford Platinum that had drivers side seat heater stop working at 3000 miles, they changed everything in and under the seat but the issue was in the main control, where the radio was, anyway the guy told me that if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost me $4000 to fix. Not sure how the Toyotas work but I would imagine they are close to the same price. I don't have that issue anymore because I don't have heated seats anymore, good luck
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
All items have been checked...the problem is the seat heater module has melted and this is a safety issue, as it can cause a fire. Toyota already had a recall on older models and the concern is obviously that they have not fixed the problem so future cars /trucks will continue to experience this issue. Read the Tacoma forums, they have rallied together and contacted the NHTSA with complaints and Toyota is fixing the problem. Yes fixing it and at NO cost to the customer regardless of the warranty status as they do not want another recall on their record The more folks that file complaints for this issue the better chance there will be a recall and all customers will be made aware of this important fire hazard.
If they are fixing the problem, what's the issue? Maybe I read your comment wrong
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Haven't fixed yet, gotta bring it in for a 1/2 day assessment. However, I learned from the Tacoma Forum to just tell them what is wrong with it...Some guy there brought the burned out module in in hand and they still instated on doing a diagnostic. He walked away, filed a complaint with the NHTSA and after several months was able to get it fixed, out of warranty and at no cost to him. The part is a Tundra part but it's on Tacoma's as well and they have done an excellent job of lodging complaints with the Safety Board, which has in turn has forced Toyota to fix the problem to avoid a Recall that will damage their reputation. Tkx
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update

Took truck in to dealership and told them at least three times to look at the seat amp module. I even gave them pics off the internet so they could see what it looked like...since I wasn't sure they'd know lolololo. The Rep just called and told me the element is burned out and will cost me 865.00. I asked what they saw when they unsnapped the amp module and he said, " I don't know I'm not back there with the techs".

Nice response, but actually what you'd expect from the Toyota Service department. They don't give a hoot about you after you Leave the lot or only when they can talk you into paying outrageous fees to fix something they've conquered up. I will never buy a Toyota truck again and will shout it from the roof tops.

I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will follow-up with them concerning how Toyota handled the situation and the bogus reason they came up with as to why the seat heater is broken all in an effort to avoid a company RECALL and make 865.00. The best part is that my truck didn't catch on fire and cause me to have an accident injuring me and anybody else associated with the truck. The worst part is that they are not owning up to another one of their failures and only will after someone is hurt or killed...but then that seems to be the only time Toyota takes action and fixes anything...you all remember the accelerator fails that killed folks...what a sad commentary on this organization that they would rather it come to that then take responsibility for a part failure and issue a recall to fix a problem.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Took truck in to dealership and told them at least three times to look at the seat amp module. I even gave them pics off the internet so they could see what it looked like...since I wasn't sure they'd know lolololo. The Rep just called and told me the element is burned out and will cost me 865.00. I asked what they saw when they unsnapped the amp module and he said, " I don't know I'm not back there with the techs".

Nice response, but actually what you'd expect from the Toyota Service department. They don't give a hoot about you after you Leave the lot or only when they can talk you into paying outrageous fees to fix something they've conquered up. I will never buy a Toyota truck again and will shout it from the roof tops.

I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will follow-up with them concerning how Toyota handled the situation and the bogus reason they came up with as to why the seat heater is broken all in an effort to avoid a company RECALL and make 865.00. The best part is that my truck didn't catch on fire and cause me to have an accident injuring me and anybody else associated with the truck. The worst part is that they are not owning up to another one of their failures and only will after someone is hurt or killed...but then that seems to be the only time Toyota takes action and fixes anything...you all remember the accelerator fails that killed folks...what a sad commentary on this organization that they would rather it come to that then take responsibility for a part failure and issue a recall to fix a problem.
I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you're looking for another truck manufacturer based on a non-working seat warmer. What year is your truck?

2017 CM LTD 4x4 TRD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes, your probably right...If I could determine how to fix the module and then can find a source to buy it from (Toyota shows it as discontinued) I can try to fix it myself. If its the element then I just need to buy it and look for help to install it. Just so mad that they won't admit their failing part needs to be recalled and do the right thing, be the hero so no one gets hurt...then everybody wins sure would restore my confidence in them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,461 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
In my 4 years on the forum you're the first to b!tch about the seat heaters and call it a Toyota corporate scandal.

Since it seems you're own your own to fix this since Toyota has SHUNNED you...
Is it both seats or just one and which one?
Is it the seat and back of each seat that doesn't work, or does one heat and one doesn't?
Did you run them on high a lot?

Since they told you it was the element, how about you do your own research and see if the element is bad?
Test the ohms of the element with the wires disconnected from the power source with a DMM.
Each seat has 2 elements, seat and back.
Which wire(s) is it?
Take out the seat bolts, lean the seat back in the cab, and follow the leads.
If you need more help, google it.

Also test the output of the switch and see if it is sending a (hot) current to the element.
Again, unplug the element, turn on the truck and the seat heaters and test the DC current to each one with a DMM in high and in low.
In most cases, a white wire with a black stripe is ground.
You could always put your black DMM wire on a chassis ground and test each wire in the seat connector plug and see if any respond to the heater switch.
Volts should be higher on high, lower on low, if not voltage at all, it ain't your elements.
If you need more help, google it.

If you don't know what a DMM is, google it, every man should have one.

If it is indeed the element, you can buy generic (Rosta) elements on Amazon and replace them yourself.
I installed my own in my SR5 with leather, put switches in the console.

But you need to be sure it is the element that is bad before you replace them.
Look for my post number 5 in this thread to help you with purchasing and replacing the element.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...pro-seats.html

As far as losing confidence in Toyota, good luck with that Ford, GMC, Chevy, or (God forbid) Dodge truck you buy next..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 01-30-2019 at 04:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1lowlife For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-30-2019)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 17,301 Times in 5,248 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Quote:
If they said the element is burned out, maybe the element is burned out. If you do end up getting another truck, don't buy a Chevy. I had a heating element on mine that had to be replaced under warranty. I'd hate for you to have to go through this again.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hello,

I'm hopeing there are more folks out there with failing seat heaters as I've found on the Tacoma site? If so, can you all please let me know your course of action to get a fix at no cost (out of warrenty) Tkx
Didn't see your intro post; Welcome aboard!

What year is your truck?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am curious if the OP was able to fix their issue with the seat heater? Seems like I am having the same issue. 2015 Tundra limited, Driver seat heater stays on when switch is turned off. Took it to the dealer:
a. out of warranty
b. charged me $200 to diagnose it. Just to tell me it would be another $270 to take the seat further apart and then $404.95 for part # 85710-0C071 L/F Seat Heater.
c. I told them not to do anymore and that I would pull the fuse and live without the seat heater since I live in California and do not "need" it.

Well I go under the steering column where the fuse box is and see Seat Heater and pull the fuse. Great, day 1 seat heater is not burning my back and butt. Day 2, it turns back on. Am I missing an additional fuse? Any help is much appreciated.

Also, does someone has a diagram to replace the seat heater themselves or a link to it?

Thank you!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi,

So sorry for your trouble with the seat heater. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a secondary fuse and no I never got it fixed or fixed it myself, although I've read a few posts where some folks were able to replace the heater themselves. I on the other hand, decided since the heater was important to me and Toyota refused to do the right thing and fix it as they had with the 2010's and older that I would replace the vehicle with a competitor that has a 100000 mile warranty so I did.

Good luck with your fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in