Check engine light after driving [several times] through a [LARGE] puddle - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Check engine light after driving [several times] through a [LARGE] puddle

Hi guys! Quick history. Bought this 03 tundra 4.7 Christmas eve. It has 220k on the chassis, 67k on a new (rebuilt?) Toyota engine. Truck had check engine light on when I bought it. Also had Flowmaster with dual exhaust, with one of the pipes completely disconnected from the exit side of the muffler. Took it to oriellys before buying, read an oxygen sensor code. $75, great! Bought the thing.

Last weekend I went to my muffler shop and got a new Flowmaster (turns out the muffler itself was done) and that actually cleared the check engine light. Awesome.

Then I went off roading. Nothing crazy, but I DID take several good passes through a giant puddle. Immediately, the check engine light went on. CRAP.

So I used my adultness and didn't panic. Can be something stupid, I thought. Just left oriellys. It's about a dozen codes.

I know you'll want to know the specific codes - I have to go back and record them. I just committed them to memory for now.

Basically, here are the issues:

-malfunction in primary fuel pump circuit
-all oxygen sensors malfunctioning
-fuel mixture too lean
-voltage either too high, or too low

Now, without tooting my own horn, I am an A&P certified mechanic. I'm not omniscient by any means, but I'm not buying blinker fluid either.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Any to all of the oxygen sensors got shorted out, causing a faulty reading in the system, causing the fuel pump to send an incorrect mixture.

2. The fuel pump wiring has a faulty ground somewhere, which should dry out eventually.

I'm really just hoping that someone else has driven through a puddle at some point, and had similar issues. The thing still runs, and quite well, kind you. No noticeable difference. But I do need to fix it asap because this idiot didn't register it when he fixed the check engine light the first time, and now I'm kicking myself.

Thanks in advance, if only just for reading this essay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Never heard of that but does sound wiring related, something got pulled loose-bad ground-water where water doesnt belong
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply

I was right, yesterday afternoon I got in the truck and suddenly, everything was fine. We also got rain Monday, which may have extended drying time.

Definitely relieved, but also a little disappointed. I've taken my YJ through that same puddle dozens of times. Granted, not as much electronics and it's designed for off road, but still, a puddle? Bah.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Maybe this will help someone in the future.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anekrasov View Post
Thanks for your reply

I was right, yesterday afternoon I got in the truck and suddenly, everything was fine. We also got rain Monday, which may have extended drying time.

Definitely relieved, but also a little disappointed. I've taken my YJ through that same puddle dozens of times. Granted, not as much electronics and it's designed for off road, but still, a puddle? Bah.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Maybe this will help someone in the future.
You should not be having that issue just driving in some puddles. I've fought ground issues like this in other vehicles. Good luck, electrical issues can be a pain in the ass.

2013 TRD Rock Warrior,TRD Dual exhaust,K&N CAI,2 Alpine amps,W3T10" JL shallow mount sub, Focal speakers,3-Trumpet Train Air Horn Kit 150dB,Access Cover, Hood Guard, AMP power steps,Smitty Bull Bar, Bully Dog GT+T tuner, 35/12.5/17, Steel grill, Hammerhead rear bumper, Coachman 3" Shackles, steering stops and Tie rods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in