User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Issue

Hello, I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 I bought a few months ago. Its had an issue ever since I got it. If I am going around any type of corner whether its sharp or not and hit any kind of bump or little dip in the road it will jerk the steering wheel sometimes so bad the front tires will squeal. I was told by quite a few people that it probably needed an alignment so I had that done at a shop and still had the same issue. I was told that the shop that did it probably just did a generic alignment on it so they reccomended a reputable shop in town and I took it there and they said they did an alignment on it and took it for a drive and it was still squirrely (I forgot to mention along with the wheel jerk the steering had alot of play in it and was all over the road) So they put it back in the shop and found that the rack bushings were bad. So they ordered those and I took it back and had those replaced and had it realigned again. This cured the steering play and being all over the road but it is still jerking the wheel when I hit any bumps or dips in the road ( mostly when cornering) I took it back to have an axel seal replaced that was leaking and told them avout the issue atill being there and they said everything is good and tight and the only thing they could think it might possibly be would be the struts, but they didn't sound real confident that was the issue. It is going to cost a little over 400 bucks to have them replaced. I don't mind spending the money to have them replaced if that is whats wrong but I'm not totally convinced that will fix the issue. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or could give me any input on what the issue could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4881 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or could give me any input on what the issue could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is called Bump Steer and a certain amount is going to happen. Causes are typically suspension/steering related. Changing the geometry of the suspension (lifting or lowering) can make it worse. Do some searching on the broader internet - lots of discussion. Not sure if the 2000 Tundra has a front sway bar....if so, I would check the front sway bar links. Might also check the ball joints. I would be looking for bent or loose suspension/steering components but it would seem with all the alignments you have had done, they would have found something like that. Recently had some of this on a 2000 T4R and believe it is due to a rear left top shock mount that has rusted out....have to weld in a new mount - not fixed yet so can't confirm cause at this time.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 Limited Tundra DC 5.7L 4WD
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2010 Mazda Mx-5 Touring
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD

Last edited by Buckaroo; 11-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
I vote struts myself. You can buy the assemblies and do the job yourself if you've got some patience and a impact gun. You'll need another alignment afterwards.

Rockauto has some good assemblies for around $90 a piece.

Generally speaking if you can make the corners of your front end bounce more than once, you need to change them. Just put all your weight on the corner and push it down hard. Let off and it should spring back wildly and settle after the initial return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in