Have to replace whole frame myself 2006 Tundra - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Have to replace whole frame myself 2006 Tundra

Looks like the frame is rusted beyond repair. Toyota won't do anything about a 2006 tundra so I'm thinking of buying the frame and replacing it myself. I like my truck and I have it fitted w a nice fisher plow, studded snow tires and even a salt spreader.
When I look for a whole frame online, I see a price of $5,200 plus shipping. Ouch.

So now I have this bright idea of buying a salvage tundra from Texas or somewhere out West that has mechanical issues or hail damage or even water damage for under $1000, then ship it to upstate New York pay $2000 shipping and end up w an unrusted frame for under $3000 (plus some parts).
Is this a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This is a good thread on a frame replacement done on a '99 T4R in a home garage. You can take a look at it to help you figure out the scope of work....

Frame Rot!! Is this the end? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 Limited Tundra DC 5.7L 4WD
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2010 Mazda Mx-5 Touring
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD

Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-27-2018 at 06:13 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
My first Tundra underwent frame replacement. All went well, and the truck was "good as new" after the dealer handed it back to me. If I recall correctly, the parts/materials list was 4-5 pages long.

Unless you can be satisfied that the used truck you buy comes from one of the desert areas in the southwest, I don't think you can be sure you won't be getting someone else's rust problem. The US Air Force has their aircraft "boneyard" facility near Tucson; one reason for that location is because, besides being in an arid climate, the local soil conditions really don't promote corrosion, as opposed to other geographic regions.

At least with a purchased frame, you're starting with a known quantity.

It's not just the frame itself you'll have to be concerned about. The depth and breadth of the corrosion problem will only become known as you tear your current truck apart. In my case, Toyota bucked up for new lower A-arms on the front suspension as the dealership destroyed the originals trying to get them off the old frame. All fluids were replaced. Other things not covered had to be replaced as well; the towing package wiring harness, for example. Can you be sure that body panels won't be damaged coming off that frame? I know the dealer that did my replacement lifted the cab off the frame in one piece after removing the engine. The bed also came off in one piece.

If it was me, and it's not, the only way I'd take on this work is if I was looking for a real science project or hobbyist rebuild. I can't see a DIY frame replacement as a money saver. I think I'd be in the market for a replacement truck and port over the plow and winter snow handling stuff to the replacement truck.

As Buckaroo suggested, there are YouTube vids of Tundra frame replacements; suggest you watch a few of those to see what the process is all about.

Good luck.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (11-10-2018)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Ray. Frame will be changed in my fiend's shop, who has an excavating business and capable mechanics who maintain his machines. He thinks it takes two days for them to do it. Of course, he's not too eager to do it. It's a favor.

I hear about cutting bait and getting a new truck. I kinda like this one and am trying to keep it, with the configured plow, salt spreader and winter tires. I figure with a rust free frame I'm good for another 4-5 years. I can get a frame from California or Texas for about $1,000 plus shipping, but I do appreciate that there may be issues once we lift the car off the old frame: ripped linkages, arms, etc.

How did your Tundra do after the replacement? How many years was it good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRay View Post
My first Tundra underwent frame replacement. All went well, and the truck was "good as new" after the dealer handed it back to me. If I recall correctly, the parts/materials list was 4-5 pages long.

Unless you can be satisfied that the used truck you buy comes from one of the desert areas in the southwest, I don't think you can be sure you won't be getting someone else's rust problem. The US Air Force has their aircraft "boneyard" facility near Tucson; one reason for that location is because, besides being in an arid climate, the local soil conditions really don't promote corrosion, as opposed to other geographic regions.

At least with a purchased frame, you're starting with a known quantity.

It's not just the frame itself you'll have to be concerned about. The depth and breadth of the corrosion problem will only become known as you tear your current truck apart. In my case, Toyota bucked up for new lower A-arms on the front suspension as the dealership destroyed the originals trying to get them off the old frame. All fluids were replaced. Other things not covered had to be replaced as well; the towing package wiring harness, for example. Can you be sure that body panels won't be damaged coming off that frame? I know the dealer that did my replacement lifted the cab off the frame in one piece after removing the engine. The bed also came off in one piece.

If it was me, and it's not, the only way I'd take on this work is if I was looking for a real science project or hobbyist rebuild. I can't see a DIY frame replacement as a money saver. I think I'd be in the market for a replacement truck and port over the plow and winter snow handling stuff to the replacement truck.

As Buckaroo suggested, there are YouTube vids of Tundra frame replacements; suggest you watch a few of those to see what the process is all about.

Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlands555 View Post
Thank you Ray. Frame will be changed in my fiend's shop, who has an excavating business and capable mechanics who maintain his machines. He thinks it takes two days for them to do it. Of course, he's not too eager to do it. It's a favor.

I hear about cutting bait and getting a new truck. I kinda like this one and am trying to keep it, with the configured plow, salt spreader and winter tires. I figure with a rust free frame I'm good for another 4-5 years. I can get a frame from California or Texas for about $1,000 plus shipping, but I do appreciate that there may be issues once we lift the car off the old frame: ripped linkages, arms, etc.

How did your Tundra do after the replacement? How many years was it good for?
I really do understand your desire to hold on to a truck you like.

My old truck was a 2000 Access Cab SR5 TRD. I was skeptical that with all that work that they could "put it right." But, the dealer did a good job and the truck was much quieter with the new bushings and having everything tightened up on the new frame.

I loved that old truck. It was the right size, it drove well, and I think it looked a lot better than the 2nd Gen Tundras. My 2015 has more power and capacity, so that's good, but I still loved that old truck. Lots of adventures in it. I attached a pic of the old Tundra.

The frame replacement work was done in Spring 2012. It was going great until July 2015, when I hit a deer at 60 mph and just messed it up. It had 175K miles on it then, and I was planning to keep it. But the deer strike nailed the whole front end and hood, jammed the radiator back into the engine, nailed the front right fender and passenger door. There was potential firewall damage, and it just made sense to move on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-29 11.43.05.jpg (90.1 KB, 40 views)

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IamRay; 08-30-2018 at 07:34 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,819 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Not all NY frames are rusted. I'd spend some time researching. I see several trucks on CL here being parted out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Why not just buy a new truck?
Seems like a lot of work.... then you still have an almost 19 year old truck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Instead of a donor truck, find a replacement truck down south and move everything over from the rusted truck. You're gonna open a huge can of worms trying to go the other way. Seized bolts rusted components, a nightmare for your buddy's employees. Don't do that to them.

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I agree that if the frame is that rusted, all the parts you take off will be as well.
I think the sum of these might be more than the cost of the frame.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,819 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Rust is funny. My 08 frame is mostly black with a few spots of surface rust over most of it, but in 1 spot there is penetration so I am getting a new frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in