User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brakes at 40,000?

My 2013 Tundra failed annual inspection due to worn brakes. Truck only has 40,000 on it, seems a little early for brakes to me.

I do haul a trailer with a compact tractor occasionally, but it's a small one, not many miles and the trailer has brakes.

Am I expecting too much? I have heard (from non-Toyota people) that Tundras are hard on brakes.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
No, all my toyos (from camry to Lexus in the house) had 90-100k before brakes were changes. Maybe yours were sticking?

ďDonít overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..Ē
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopower View Post
No, all my toyos (from camry to Lexus in the house) had 90-100k before brakes were changes. Maybe yours were sticking?

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”
I have had something like 9 Toyotas. That includes the 3 now in the driveway. I have routinely seen this kind of mileage ^^^ on Mama Toyota factory/OEM front brake pads. On my 1997 T-100 I replaced the front pads at 109,079 miles, then replaced them again at 200,500 with a reasonable amount of miles still to go on the pads. Rear are drums and still on the stock shoes at 247,111 miles.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

Last edited by McGovTundra; 07-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPaul View Post
My 2013 Tundra failed annual inspection due to worn brakes. Truck only has 40,000 on it, seems a little early for brakes to me...
As others have said, Toyota's brakes last a long time. My first Toyota was a first gen 4Runner; put 178K on, changed the front pads once, and finally just gave up trying to wear out the rear shoes and replaced them with a rear wheel bearing at about 150K.

Assuming you've had the truck since new, it hasn't been abused, and I'm sure that pulling that small trailer with a lawn tractor didn't wear your brakes out. Further, I find it improbable that sticking calipers would cause all corners to wear out at the same time, but you do live in the land of snow.

So...I'm guessing you had them change the brakes to get that inspection sticker without bothering to have the tech show you how badly they were worn? "Trust, but verify".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
As others have said, Toyota's brakes last a long time. My first Toyota was a first gen 4Runner; put 178K on, changed the front pads once, and finally just gave up trying to wear out the rear shoes and replaced them with a rear wheel bearing at about 150K.

Assuming you've had the truck since new, it hasn't been abused, and I'm sure that pulling that small trailer with a lawn tractor didn't wear your brakes out. Further, I find it improbable that sticking calipers would cause all corners to wear out at the same time, but you do live in the land of snow.

So...I'm guessing you had them change the brakes to get that inspection sticker without bothering to have the tech show you how badly they were worn? "Trust, but verify".
It's an 18 foot trailer with a Kubota B2650 and usually a 4 foot tiller or a 5 foot bush hog. Probably in the neighborhood of 5000 pounds with trailer and load.

Mechanic is an old Navy buddy. We both retired at about the same time and have known each other for 30 years. And yes he DID show me the pad wear indicators. Originally thought the rotors were good, but apparently they're on the thin side and grooved pretty badly.

Molon Labe
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
"Trust, but verify".
Over 35 years on and still ever-so-true to this very day. Thanks for the great memory.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
It's an 18 foot trailer with a Kubota B2650 and usually a 4 foot tiller or a 5 foot bush hog. Probably in the neighborhood of 5000 pounds with trailer and load.

Mechanic is an old Navy buddy. We both retired at about the same time and have known each other for 30 years. And yes he DID show me the pad wear indicators. Originally thought the rotors were good, but apparently they're on the thin side and grooved pretty badly.
Well, that tow isn't a lawn tractor for sure, but like you, I would still expect more than 40K miles out of a set of brakes. Congratulations on having someone in the car repair business you trust.

Brake life comes down to how the vehicle is driven (driver habits), and the environment it's driven in. Heavy grooving of the rotor faces indicates that you drive under conditions with a lot of abrasives (dirt and sand) like dirt or gravel roads. If foreign materials are wearing the rotor faces, they will certainly wear away the softer friction surfaces on the pads. I drive only on paved roads, and like an old geezer, so my brakes last forever and my rotors always have a "phonograph finish".

For the purposes your Tundra is used for, you may have to live with shortened brake life. Or, you can search the archives for experience with the aftermarket options available. An interesting observation is that you didn't experience warped rotors; that's usually the problem late-model Tundra owners are seeking relief from, and that may be the genesis of the "non-Toyota" peoples comments. It's a well-known problem that is related to hard braking quickly followed by stationary cooling, or, maybe just razor-thin casting margins to reduce rotor weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
I changed mine at 60k on my tundra and Sequoia. The Tundra should have been changed sooner, but I never got around to it. I tow a lot with my truck so itís expected. And the bigger tires donít help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:23 AM

My 2014 1794 4x4 has 37k on the odo and the fronts seem to be good but the rear rotors are in pretty bad shape and making a slight squeaking noise I can hear when rolling at a slow speed. Driving me crazy.. so I just ordered a F/R full set of R1 concept rotors and ceramic pads for under $200. From what I've read a lot of people have problems with factory rotors warping. I tow my boat about 15 miles round trip at the most and it has surge brakes. Also, I remember reading somewhere online.. maybe caranddriver, that the brakes are one of the tundra's weak points but I've personally never had trouble stopping when I need to. Wish I had the money for the TRD BBK!!!
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,193 Times in 4,446 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm guessing more than 5000.
Probably closer to 6 or 7k.
If you have a FEL and It's a HD equip trailer, probably closer to 7-8k.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
I'm guessing more than 5000.
Probably closer to 6 or 7k.
If you have a FEL and It's a HD equip trailer, probably closer to 7-8k.
I got curious and looked it up.

Tractor: 2293 dry
Loader: 475
Bucket: 198
Mower: 600

So there's 3566. Add 500 for loaded tires and fuel, call it 4100.

Trailer is a "landscaping" trailer, guesstimate 2000 pounds.

So yeah, probably 6000 pounds plus.

Picked it up today. All the pads were down to the wear indicators, front rotors had about a 1/4" "ledge" of corrosion on the inside that had worn a matching groove in the pads. He didn't think turning them was a good idea given the overall corrosion and the condition of the vent webs in the center (thanks, MaineDOT ).

Rear rotors were good, just cleaned up and reinstalled.

Molon Labe
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:48 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Garage
I haul around a tractor and equip trailer.
I still had plenty of life left in the pads/rotors and the trailer has brakes, but I switched to slotted/drilled rotors and Hawk pads upfront.
Does your trailer have brakes?
If not, or they're not working properly, an extra 6000# will wear out brakes in no time.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
A lot of that is going to depend on driving habits. As some people do not necessarily think that you either need to be on the gas or on the brake. I watch the flow of traffic, if I am coming up on a congested area I take my foot off of the accelerator and coast. I know lots of people capable of doing this and I also know a lot of people incapable of doing such. My sister-in-law had a 2003 Suburban that had almost 300K before the OEM brakes were changed. I had a 2003 GMC 2500HD that I sold with OEM brakes, still over half the life left. Pulling heavy objects will have a toll on the outcome as well, or can. Over the years I have noticed on more than one occasion people who ride their brakes all the time. Using an up-hill to scrub off speed helps as well. All your habits, good or bad, will factor in to the end results.......

2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L, 2WD, Automatic, Silver, Double Cab, Work Truck Package
The Following User Says Thank You to jakson200369 For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (08-13-2018)
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
My only lasted till 30K. Rotors warped and I was having front end/steering wheel shimmy under braking. Haul stuff but no major towing on steep mountain roads and highways. I've been told it is fairly common for Tundras to need front rotors and pads in the 25k-35k range. Shouldn't happen but does.

2016 5.7 SR5 TRD / BA 8" SS Exhaust / TRD Sway Bar / Clazzio Seat Covers
Method Racing NVs 18x9 Wheels / R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/EBC Yellowstuff Pads
Bushwacker Extenda - Fender Flares
285/70/18 Nitto Exo Grapplers (Winter) / TOYO OC MTs 285/70/18 (Summer)
42" LED Lightbar / TRD PRO Grill / Bilstein 6112s / Bilstein 5160s
Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized RTT / LEER Shell
Custom Over Shell Rack / Custom Bed Racks / Line-X
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:44 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530 View Post
I've been told it is fairly common for Tundras to need front rotors and pads in the 25k-35k range.
Both my 2011 and 2015 were brake issue-free at 3 yrs/30k mi. And I haven't heard much about warped rotors and premature brake wear until recently.
Perhaps it's more common in the last year or 2. Not sure. But it was never something I experienced or heard about until recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in