User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water leak under the truck?

A/C condensation water that drips from the bottom of the truck is normal. Living in AZ the A/C is on all the time, and I'm used to the small amount under the truck. But for the past 2 days I have seen large puddles under the truck. I know its water, but the amount is concerning me. It only happens in the morning after I've driven about 15+ minutes, and reverse into my parking spot at work. I can see it coming from somewhere over the transmission, then leaks down the housing, and off the pan as well. This doesn't seen like a normal amount, and I'm concerned that something has been knocked loose, or broken involving the A/C system. Thanks in advance for any help!leak1.PNG

leak2.PNG

2015 CrewMax TRD 4x4
Blue Ribbon Metallic
BAM 8" dumped
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRum54 For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (07-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,208 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If there's no anti-freeze in it there is nothing to worry about. Take a piece of cardboard with you and throw it under the truck when you get to work. You should be able to tell whether it is just water or coolant by looking a what is on the cardboard.

'19 SR5 DC, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps, ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step, Weathertech Vent Visors
Techstream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWACC #7
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM
WBW

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
This is perfectly normal and not usual for our routinely dry air here in the Valley of the Sun. Usually we have triple digit temps with single digit humidity. During the hot dry days the A/C will still condensate a little bit but not enough to make the ground wet under the truck because it normally evaporates as soon as it drips on the hot pavement. The past two days, however, have also been unusually wet with the recent monsoon storms that blew through. All of my vehicles are condensating more water with the A/C systems running.

Just another note: because you live in AZ, after the monsoon season has passed us consider replacing your cabin air filter as the filter that is in there now will certainly be loaded up with the dust and debris from the monsoons. Additionally, with the increase in moisture content in the air and increase in condensate from my vehicle's evaporator core I make it a practice to turn off the A/C compressor and shift to fresh air with the A/C fan still on when I turn into my neighborhood and I let it run until it starts feeling decidedly warm blowing out of the registers. This has kept the funky smells down in my vehicles for many years.

I'm sorry that this got so wordy.

Enjoy the heat my friend,

WBW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 CM Tundra
2009 Honda Rebel
2005 Honda Goldwing (his) & 2004 Goldwing Trike (hers)
1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1991 Chevrolet Corvette 1997 Toyota Camry
1989 Daihatsu Charade CLS
The Following User Says Thank You to WBW For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (07-11-2018)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Thanked 6,574 Times in 3,952 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Garage

The high Relative Humidity levels have a lot to do with the condensate line from any A/C system running like a garden hose . . .

He's_right_you_know.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBW View Post
This is perfectly normal and not usual for our routinely dry air here in the Valley of the Sun. Usually we have triple digit temps with single digit humidity. During the hot dry days the A/C will still condensate a little bit but not enough to make the ground wet under the truck because it normally evaporates as soon as it drips on the hot pavement. The past two days, however, have also been unusually wet with the recent monsoon storms that blew through. All of my vehicles are condensating more water with the A/C systems running.

Just another note: because you live in AZ, after the monsoon season has passed us consider replacing your cabin air filter as the filter that is in there now will certainly be loaded up with the dust and debris from the monsoons. Additionally, with the increase in moisture content in the air and increase in condensate from my vehicle's evaporator core I make it a practice to turn off the A/C compressor and shift to fresh air with the A/C fan still on when I turn into my neighborhood and I let it run until it starts feeling decidedly warm blowing out of the registers. This has kept the funky smells down in my vehicles for many years.

I'm sorry that this got so wordy.

Enjoy the heat my friend,

WBW
Thanks WBW. Thought that might have been it, but the volume was surprising. And yes, I have kept up on the cabin filter, but will have to try the compressor trick you mentioned. Much appreciated! Now its time to take the truck out and play in the mud

2015 CrewMax TRD 4x4
Blue Ribbon Metallic
BAM 8" dumped
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRum54 For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (07-11-2018)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBW View Post
Additionally, with the increase in moisture content in the air and increase in condensate from my vehicle's evaporator core I make it a practice to turn off the A/C compressor and shift to fresh air with the A/C fan still on when I turn into my neighborhood and I let it run until it starts feeling decidedly warm blowing out of the registers. This has kept the funky smells down in my vehicles for many years.

I always do this and I think (could be wrong maybe placebo) it keeps the AC components from prematurely waring out.

2014 4x2 Platinum CrewMax

MGMC #167

Platinum Club Member #14
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Funny - I had the exact same concern last week when I found a very similar looking puddle under my truck in the exact same spot. I arrived on a semi-remote job site and started to unload and setup when I noticed the truck “leaking” on the concrete pad. I had the truck heavily loaded while driving through the mountains on a hot day, so after my initial moment of dread (and a quick flash of brainstorming a trail fix to limp home), I crawled underneath the truck and dabbed a finger in the puddle. Confirmed it to be water without a hint of antifreeze. It was also an abnormally humid day for us which explains the abnormal amount of condensate.

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq247265 View Post
Blenton = Mike Sweers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Remember guys that air conditioning is NOT just for blowing cold air. It is for humidity control. ALL types of air conditioning (truck, house, plane). The more humidity in the outside air the more your system is going to have to "control." More "control" will produce more condensate (water) byproduct.

Now the lawyer part: YMMV.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in