Rear Differential Replacement Cost - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
To the OP , glad you hot it fixed up and upgraded ! Like you said , slightly overpaid but you needed your rig back ASAP. Heck we've all been there . Sincerely , 24hrsparkey

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
True in a perfect world of true mechanics .

Can you do one ? The phrase it's not rocket science annoys me I admit . . Unless one is a master tech and has built more than a few flawlessly . You are correct , no it's not rocket science but it's few and far between people who can set one up exactly exactly right .

I do all sorts of automotive and motor cycle work ,,, and I do Not rebuild a differential . Nope . Gotta know when to say when .

It really isnít too hard if you have the proper tools and pay attention. I rebuilt a buddyís front diff on an f150 years ago. I had never done it before but we dug into it and I setup the gears no problem. Lasted many years before he totaled it. It was on 38ís and he beat the heck out of that truck all the time.

Iím by far not an expert though. Just saying it isnít too hard to do correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
RIjon (06-17-2018)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorK View Post
The truck is fixed now... I went ahead and put an Auburn LSD and driving it home from the shop so far so good. Thanks for everyone's help. In total, I ended up paying 2500 even. May have been a little over price but I needed the truck back ASAP.
Nice, good price.

Any pics of blown up rear end???

Be a fountain, not a drain

Call sign: Glitter

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
True in a perfect world of true mechanics .

Can you do one ? The phrase it's not rocket science annoys me I admit . . Unless one is a master tech and has built more than a few flawlessly . You are correct , no it's not rocket science but it's few and far between people who can set one up exactly exactly right .

I do all sorts of automotive and motor cycle work ,,, and I do Not rebuild a differential . Nope . Gotta know when to say when .
Yes, if I had the tools and the time, I'd definitely do my own re-gear. It's a matter of having the right tools and the patience to get it right. Backlash and pinion pre-load are measurable. Reading a gear pattern is somewhat subjective, but there are many sources you can reference to get it right. You might have to take it apart a few times to get the right specs, but that's part of it.

If a shop didn't have the right expertise to get it right the first time, they probably shouldn't be accepting the work in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to cooper4x4 For This Useful Post:
RIjon (06-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in