Smashed the front of my 2011 Rock Warrior - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplenova View Post
I wouldnt let them issue any $$ to anyone until you have all your estimates in and YOU have selected a repair shop. Once you accept that check, you are done.
Tell them once you select a shop, you will let them know and they can deal with that shop.

Had hail damage to my old Silverado and insurance wanted to cut me a check, I declined and it made them mad. Took over two months to fix all that damage
but it got fixed and I had a rental.

Traded it in on my current Tundra !!!!

I will not personally see any money myself. My insurance and Toyota are working back and forth. I got an email earlier that Toyota sent a supplement request to my insurance that there was much more money needed due to the extensive hidden damages. I am trying to find out what the supplement amount is, but I am having a hard time finding out.

2011 CM Rockwarrior.(total loss)
2014 CM Platinum Super White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Update?

2017 CM LTD 4x4 TRD
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBoatHauler View Post
Update?
Yeah man. They totaled it out and I’m now in a 2014 platinum. I’ve had it 1 week today. So far I have blacked out the grille.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5792D9CD-3C2B-44AA-8A4D-C632FD3D2D46_1527963709431.jpg (200.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 6C2DE6E7-C34D-49B2-AFCD-809CF579B809_1527963734588.jpg (198.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 6C7D76B9-EA46-452C-BEAB-FA92A108ADAD_1527963758163.jpg (188.8 KB, 48 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 93civEJ1 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (06-04-2018), TOY33 (06-07-2018)

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
New truck looks great!

2017 CM LTD 4x4 TRD
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
Yeah man. They totaled it out and I’m now in a 2014 platinum. I’ve had it 1 week today. So far I have blacked out the grille.
How did it all go down? Do you have the estimates from toyota. I'm sure that would be good info to post for others in this situation down the road.

Great looking Truck!

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shasta For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (06-07-2018)
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your Tundra. My Tundra was totaled earlier this year. I had a 2011 Tundra SR5 w/less than 70K. Looking at your pictures of your Tundra, mine was worse (the airbags deployed). GEICO totaled mine and cut me a check for 25K+. I wasn't on planning on buying a new Tundra but the dealership wouldn't budge on the used 2017 model with only 11K on it. Fortunately, I ran into an old neighbor of mine and noticed he was driving a newer Tundra (he had a 2015 model) so he recommended me to the salesman he dealt with and when I mentioned his name, they automatically took off 8K on a brand new 2018 Tundra. The other dealerships around town was only going to give me $1500 off and at most maybe, maybe 3K off.

Bottom line at least you were okay and didn't suffer any injuries. I, too, was lucky to walk away without any injuries.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
How did it all go down? Do you have the estimates from toyota. I'm sure that would be good info to post for others in this situation down the road.

Great looking Truck!
Thanks,

Well, i kept pretty updated on here up until the part where Toyota bodyshop gave their supplement estimate of at least another 8500 dollars on top of what my insurance estimated, plus labor, and any kind of other hidden things that come up. My insurance called and said total loss, and i had limited time left with my rental car. I went that weekend truck looking. Almost went with a ford raptor, but decided nah and found me a nice one owner, decent price / mile Tundra platinum in the 3rd gen style. It came out as a win win for me really.

The Following User Says Thank You to 93civEJ1 For This Useful Post:
theoat (06-06-2018)
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Glad your situation has worked out.

I've been watching a number of these threads with interest, mostly with regard to how quickly insurance companies seem to be willing to total out vehicles these days. I think a brisk used parts and salvage vehicle market has been incentivizing the insurance companies to lower the thresholds they're willing to pay out for repairs vice just totaling the vehicle, taking possession and then reducing their cost exposure by selling the salvage at auction.

My own situation three years ago really brought this thought to me. I hit a deer at highway speed in my first gen Tundra. Until that point, the truck was in great shape with good drive train, clean body panels, a new frame, clean interior, etc. When I called the insurance 24-hour call center from the roadside immediately after, they had me text in a couple pics of the damage. The deer strike nailed the hood, grill, front bumper, left front fender, and passenger door. The radiator was shot as well. The strike may have also tweaked the cab firewall, but that was really unknown. The insurance customer service rep called the tow truck company and informed me that in his estimation, the vehicle would be totaled and that he was instructing the tow truck driver to take the truck direct to the auto salvage and auction facility, which was 20 miles further than the nearest “preferred” body shop. All of this happened before the tow truck even arrived at the scene.

The insurance company adjuster totaled the vehicle. I had my settlement check within a week of the deer strike. When I went to the auto salvage place to sign over the title and drop off the key fobs and second set of keys, they brought my truck up to the front using a large forklift with extra long forks under the truck. I removed the rest of my stuff. I also noticed that the windshield had been marked in big white letters, “STARTS/RUNS.” The next day, it was sold at auction; a friend of mine who spends a lot of time there said he saw it get sold. He didn’t note the selling price. That old truck was salvaged out before I even had the deal closed on my new truck.

I’ll bet they got at least $3K for my old truck at salvage auction, which lowered their payout to about $5K or less for my deer strike. That was less money and hassle than it would have taken to actually fix the truck, and perhaps deal with any aftermath like shoddy autobody work or unknown damages found during the repairs.

We’d probably be surprised how little damage it actually takes these days for insurance companies to consider a vehicle a total loss. I’ll bet those “adjusters” are also giving the insurance companies an estimate of the wrecked vehicle’s salvage value in addition to an estimate of what it will take to fix the vehicle. If the numbers work right for the particular situation, the insurance company will salvage that vehicle, even though the body work might be significantly less than the book value of the vehicle.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
93civEJ1 (06-07-2018), riccnick (06-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in