Clunk in possible front drivers side? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clunk in possible front drivers side?

I recently (120 miles ago recent) bought a 2018 TRD Sport, my question is, when going from reverse to drive, as I start to go forward there is a clunk what appears to be in the drivers side front wheel, or somewhere in front of the truck? This is my first ever Toyota truck so I am not keen to the little sounds and normalcies of the truck as of yet. I will take it to the dealer but was wondering if any of you guys have ever experienced anything like this? It doesn't sound like a U joint or tranny issue to me because it happens when the truck is rolling if that makes sense, it's not a clunk the second it goes into gear. Thanks , Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Wait, so you would be moving forward and throw it in reverse while it is moving forward still?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 16,926 Times in 7,968 Posts
Mentioned: 777 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8964 Post(s)
Garage
Small clunk on the first drive of the day at about 15 mph? If so, it's just the ABS self-check, completely normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
Alaskawild (04-02-2018), cooky (02-04-2019), theoat (04-03-2018), ToyotasForever (04-03-2018)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayne Schicktanz View Post
Wait, so you would be moving forward and throw it in reverse while it is moving forward still?

No, reverse to drive, reverse out of the driveway, stop, put it in drive and as it's already rolling I get a clunk, I guess I will just take it to the dealer, I see someone already gave me a thumbs down lol, Maybe the question didn't meet their criteria?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskawild View Post
...I see someone already gave me a thumbs down lol, Maybe the question didn't meet their criteria?
Only the Shadow knows his criteria, but Shadow does seem to be handing out more of those the last two or three days.

Sometimes, it's impossible to know just what the criteria are...it's a easy, one-key-stroke method of indicating anonymous displeasure with the OP or the OP. Better to just shrug it off. If it was a genuine question, with no insult to anything or anyone, it could be related to "FTS"...Failure To Search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
The Following User Says Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
theoat (04-03-2018)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,074 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
don't worry about the asshats and their stupidass thumbsdown!
as mentioned,it could be the abs self check,or lash in driveline.
get dealer to look at it and congrats on your truck.
4x4?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to restosud For This Useful Post:
Alaskawild (04-02-2018), ToyotasForever (04-03-2018)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by restosud View Post
don't worry about the asshats and their stupidass thumbsdown!
as mentioned,it could be the abs self check,or lash in driveline.
get dealer to look at it and congrats on your truck.
4x4?
Thank You, it was an honest question and I did look through the forum to see if anyone was having the same problem. Thanks again for your response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskawild For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (04-03-2018)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post
Small clunk on the first drive of the day at about 15 mph? If so, it's just the ABS self-check, completely normal.

Does it on my truck.. if it’s right around 15 mph definitely the ABS check.. some tundras do it some don’t. I have a 17 CM and my brother has a 17 CM, his does not “clunk”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundraguy2708 For This Useful Post:
Alaskawild (04-03-2018)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
My 2017, 5.7L, double cab, 4 wheel drive, does it every time I start up and move forward. ABS self check and re-calibration. All good.

And don't pay any attention to the attention whores, dinkless posters and other "posing" truck guys on this here Tundra Talk. They have issues with their mothers. Well. There is one exception: Hicklebunny. You've been warned. His weird internet offers of scented oil massages along with free tire rotations.......should be construed as HORRIBLE WARNINGS.

Enjoy that new Tundra. Check back in often. And beware of members who.........smell TOO good.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovTundra View Post
My 2017, 5.7L, double cab, 4 wheel drive, does it every time I start up and move forward. ABS self check and re-calibration. All good.

And don't pay any attention to the attention whores, dinkless posters and other "posing" truck guys on this here Tundra Talk. They have issues with their mothers. Well. There is one exception: Hicklebunny. You've been warned. His weird internet offers of scented oil massages along with free tire rotations.......should be construed as HORRIBLE WARNINGS.

Enjoy that new Tundra. Check back in often. And beware of members who.........smell TOO good.
Copy that Sir and will do! Thanks for the info, sounds exactly as I am hearing.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post

Yeah , why does it do this ? No car or truck i have owned ( including a 2011 camry ) does this clunk. Supposedly the ABS doing a self check , not completly buying this ... to be it sounds like a body bushing OR perhaps the drivers side spring clunking in the strut ??
Dont get me wrong im used to a bunch of clunks and stuff coming from my dodge cummins . lol

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Yeah , why does it do this ? No car or truck i have owned ( including a 2011 camry ) does this clunk. Supposedly the ABS doing a self check , not completly buying this ... to be it sounds like a body bushing OR perhaps the drivers side spring clunking in the strut ??
Dont get me wrong im used to a bunch of clunks and stuff coming from my dodge cummins . lol
I haven't noticed that particular clunk in my '14 SCLB, but I can tell you that, when I worked in Service, for Saturn (yeah, I know...LOL) those cars did some sort of ABS-related noise (with the goal being a "self-check"). IIRC, I think it was a more of loud "whirring" noise, like the pump cycling, and only at a very low speed, but they all did it, and we'd get complaints on it.

The were far, far more significant (actual) flaws in those cars to complain about, too, which made it rather amusing.

I mention it simply to say that yes, even back in the late '90's, ABS systems were programmed to do a little routine that was audible. I can't recall for sure, but I do think it also was only on the first drive of the day.

None of which is to dissuade you from getting it checked out--better safe than sorry, right?

Good luck and let us know--I'm going to be listening for it in my '14 now.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
--Henry Ford

2014 Tundra SR DCLB, 8' Box, 5.7, 4x4
2009 Highlander Hybrid
1987 Camry Wagon (Gone, but not forgotten!)

Last edited by ToyotasForever; 04-03-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So my brother recently got a new bumper that was a offroad bumper and really heavy, he does get this clunk, but it is the springs shifting due to the weight or something of that nature, just wondering but this only happens on first drive of day and no other time like when you turn or something?

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayne Schicktanz View Post
So my brother recently got a new bumper that was a offroad bumper and really heavy, he does get this clunk, but it is the springs shifting due to the weight or something of that nature, just wondering but this only happens on first drive of day and no other time like when you turn or something?

I will pay better attention to it, I only heard it 2-3 times when I started the truck and was pulling away, it's so faint if the radio is on you can't hear it. I honestly think it's only on startup. Next time I am in it I will pay better attention.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,433 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
On the Tundra at least, the factory settings timed the power doorlocks to lock at the same time as the ABS self check, so you wouldn't notice the "clunk".
I believe we first started hearing complaints about this on the forum when techstream software was available for the owners and settings got changed ie. changing the timing of the PDL's.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theoat For This Useful Post:
restosud (04-04-2018), ToyotasForever (04-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in