07 5.7 crewmax 270,000 and counting needs help - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopower View Post
Take a picture of it. You could have it tig welded or buy a used one but depending on the picture. Iím good at half-assing but only if it will last. If not ainít worth even trying!

Edit: glad to see your mpg going up. I just got a 2010 camry for the wife to drive around. Driving my tundra really puts a dent in our funds when she drives 260+ in three days ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I drive 80 miles a day at least.

I believe it is plastic not metal. It is cracked right after the throttle body

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There was a time that I was awesome, then the cops showed.

00 tacoma xtrcab 3.4 lifted, locked, armored... dead
06 tacoma 4door 4.0 lifted, armored, headers... dead
07 tundra crewmax 5.7 lifted, armored, and alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
O Itís the intake plenum and itís made of magnesium I think .

Buy a used unit from a junker.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have 07 with 289k on it. It started to shudder a little and threw trans codes once in awhile that put it into limp mode. I exchanged fluids 2 or 3 times to make sure. Was a tsb years and years ago for Torque Converter Shudder issue. Mine would take a sec or 2 sometimes to engage. I ended up doing a reman trans with updated TC and its been fine since.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCowboy View Post
Well something new has come up. I finally cleaned my throttle body and holy crap that thing was dirty. My mileage has come up to 13, but now my idle is around 1700 even with the bully dog, and I found a crack in my intake manifold. It doesn't look like it goes all the way through to cause a leak. What to do now?

Usually after you clean the throttle body, the idle does go to around 1700-1800 after the first few starts. The ECU is learning and adjusting for the new improved airflow. It should return to normal soon, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyinhi1 For This Useful Post:
TacomaCowboy (02-10-2018)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What would be good to clean out a mass air flow sensor with
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
A spray designed just for a MAF/MAS, purchased at any automotive store.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

Semper Fi
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopower View Post
Bring some life back into her by changing ALL the ignition coils, plugs, cam sensor, o2 sensors - new cat, air filter, repack your bearings and you should gain back some mpg.

For why? I mean, the coils don't wear down like old points or cap and rotor. Neither do the cam sensors. They either work or the don't. Sure, sometimes they work intermittently, but that counts as not working in my book. O2 sensors are typically the same; with the engine monitoring on this truck, it should be be able to sniff out a faulty O2 sensor (and throw a corresponding code). Otherwise, it's still working. The plugs - sure, change 'em. But he's done that. Air filter - WOW - 100k on a filter?? I make it maybe 20-25k, but it is fairly dusty around here in the warmer months. As for cats, that's a mixed bag. A clogged one usually presents other symptoms, too, but you're welcome to pull one off and have a gander. No sense in spending $1k on stuff you don't need to do. As for bearings, there really aren't any serviceable bearings to repack on the tundra.

I would, however, recommend a fluid exchange on the entire drivetrain - front and rear diffs, transfer case, and transmission. The diffs and t case all take the same gear oil; get a high quality synthetic 75w90. I like Mobil1, personally. They all have drain plugs, so loosen the FILL PLUG FIRST (to make sure you can fill it back up) then drain them and fill them. Simple. Use the factory WS transmission fluid for the trans and either do a couple of drain/refill intervals with the pan drain plug or use the bucket method and a helper to continuously drain and top off the trans while the trans pumps the fluid through the system. I believe there is also a serviceable filter in the trans that you can access by dropping the pan. I haven't done it yet, but may do it here shortly.

I'm sure everybody has their own thoughts on whether or not to drain and fill a high mileage transmission. Personally, I've never had a high mileage trans take a dump from a fluid exchange. I even changed the fluid and filter for a friend with a high mileage (almost 200k) 4l60e that was acting up (not slipping, but very slow to decide on gear selection and sluggish) and it drove like new for another 50k til he sold it. I've purchased several vehicles with bad transmissions because the fluid was never changed, but never a bad one from somebody who just changed the fluid and the vehicle died. But if the trans is already on it's way out - well that's another story. But your aren't going to hurt it by putting clean fluid back in to it.

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq247265 View Post
Blenton = Mike Sweers

Last edited by Blenton; 02-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 PM

270k - y wouldnít you? I like to replace things early before they break. Thatís already a lot of life on them crucial parts if they lasted that long. It will fail. Question is not when but where will it fail! A long trip? Have kids and wife in tow and it fails? You can only be so cheap to not do it.To each their own.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Right, but those sensors aren't wear items like plugs and old cap and rotor items. There's nothing in them to wear out. The only thing you worry about with them is really hot/cold cycles and the constant flow of electricity going through them (which really isn't anything to be concerned with). So, unless those particular sensors have a history of being unreliable for some reason like, say, being too close to the exhaust or constantly being drowned by puddling salt water due to poor water evacuation, they shouldn't wear out any faster than any other sensor in the engine bay.

Ask anybody who knows me - I over-maintain my vehicles. I change fluids and filters earlier than absolutely necessary. I changed my plugs at 80k even though they are supposed to be good for 100-120k. I prefer to run a part or fluid to 75 or 80% service life rather than 99%. But just throwing perfectly good parts in the trash doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless they are known to be problematic.

Check out the million mile tundra if you haven't already...

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq247265 View Post
Blenton = Mike Sweers
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For the love of god, change that ATF!
The Following User Says Thank You to SLO Tundra For This Useful Post:
TacomaCowboy (02-17-2018)
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenton View Post
For why? I mean, the coils don't wear down like old points or cap and rotor. Neither do the cam sensors. They either work or the don't. Sure, sometimes they work intermittently, but that counts as not working in my book. O2 sensors are typically the same; with the engine monitoring on this truck, it should be be able to sniff out a faulty O2 sensor (and throw a corresponding code). Otherwise, it's still working. The plugs - sure, change 'em. But he's done that. Air filter - WOW - 100k on a filter?? I make it maybe 20-25k, but it is fairly dusty around here in the warmer months. As for cats, that's a mixed bag. A clogged one usually presents other symptoms, too, but you're welcome to pull one off and have a gander. No sense in spending $1k on stuff you don't need to do. As for bearings, there really aren't any serviceable bearings to repack on the tundra.

I would, however, recommend a fluid exchange on the entire drivetrain - front and rear diffs, transfer case, and transmission. The diffs and t case all take the same gear oil; get a high quality synthetic 75w90. I like Mobil1, personally. They all have drain plugs, so loosen the FILL PLUG FIRST (to make sure you can fill it back up) then drain them and fill them. Simple. Use the factory WS transmission fluid for the trans and either do a couple of drain/refill intervals with the pan drain plug or use the bucket method and a helper to continuously drain and top off the trans while the trans pumps the fluid through the system. I believe there is also a serviceable filter in the trans that you can access by dropping the pan. I haven't done it yet, but may do it here shortly.

I'm sure everybody has their own thoughts on whether or not to drain and fill a high mileage transmission. Personally, I've never had a high mileage trans take a dump from a fluid exchange. I even changed the fluid and filter for a friend with a high mileage (almost 200k) 4l60e that was acting up (not slipping, but very slow to decide on gear selection and sluggish) and it drove like new for another 50k til he sold it. I've purchased several vehicles with bad transmissions because the fluid was never changed, but never a bad one from somebody who just changed the fluid and the vehicle died. But if the trans is already on it's way out - well that's another story. But your aren't going to hurt it by putting clean fluid back in to it.
Great info. I would only disagree on one point. A dirty O2 sensor will have a huge affect on mileage without throwing a code...just like a MAF sensor does. Depending on the cost of them, one can try cleaning them but replace is the safest route.

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
Great info. I would only disagree on one point. A dirty O2 sensor will have a huge affect on mileage without throwing a code...just like a MAF sensor does. Depending on the cost of them, one can try cleaning them but replace is the safest route.
After cleaning the air intake and maf sensor if I keep the truck below 65 I am getting 16mpg on 35s. Once I hit 70 though it all drops to 13.5 no matter if it is flat or hilly. Here in the Texas hill country we always have a prevailing south wind that doesn't help.
I will try cleaning the O2 sensors, but I'm still debating on adding the JBA long tubes. That will take care of any dirty cats

There was a time that I was awesome, then the cops showed.

00 tacoma xtrcab 3.4 lifted, locked, armored... dead
06 tacoma 4door 4.0 lifted, armored, headers... dead
07 tundra crewmax 5.7 lifted, armored, and alive
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I purchased my 5.7L '07 with 270,000 undocumented miles on it... having no service records to go by, I set out to make all of the maintenance current by performing the factory 120K service listed in the owners manual - including applicable recommended service for special operating conditions. I also used Seafoam in the fuel & oil, and I had the top end cleaned. We did not drop the pan on the transmission, some fluid was changed - more will be changed as the miles are added.

EDITED
: This truck runs great, and the performance is the same as newer 5.7L Tundra trucks and stronger than other trucks that cross my path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120K.3UR-FE.jpg (192.1 KB, 22 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 04-05-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
I purchased my 5.7L '07 with 270,000 undocumented miles on it... having no service records to go by, I set out to make all of the maintenance current by performing the factory 120K service listed in the owners manual - including applicable recommended service for special operating conditions. I also used Seafoam in the fuel & oil, and I had the top end cleaned. We did not drop the pan on the transmission, some fluid was changed - more will be changed as the miles are added.

This truck runs great, and the performance is better than newer 5.7L Tundra trucks that cross my path.

The engine and drivetrain is the same, how are you getting better performance?

2014 Black SR5 DCSB, 4x4, 5.7L
Winjet LEDís (Dim in daylight)
Opt7 Redline Triple LED Tailgate Light Bar
7.5í Fisher SD Plow
Softopper
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM

07 5.7 crewmax 270,000 and counting needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoBlaze View Post
The engine and drivetrain is the same, how are you getting better performance?

Lol I was chuckling inside when it was posted and saying to myself ďyou measure that increased performance by sound of your exhaust?Ē But I didnít mention anything about it b/c it was sarcasm (Iíd hope it was).

The Following User Says Thank You to tacopower For This Useful Post:
CamoBlaze (04-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in