5.7 ticking sound AFTER driving on the highway - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
5.7 ticking sound AFTER driving on the highway

I have this ticking sound that started up the last time I drove 65-70mph on the freeway. It doesn't do it any other time, like driving around town or back and forth to work. After leaving the freeway and coming to a stop light, the ticking sound is there and changes with RPM's. Usually after I return home I don't need to start or drive the truck until the next day and all is normal until the next time I drive at highway speed for a while. I have maintenance for life with the dealer I bought the truck from and I pay extra for 0-20w synthetic oil. My truck is 2011 that I purchased used in 2013 not from a Toyota dealer. This last change was done mid Oct. It sounds like a lifter on the passenger side bank is where it originates from. All gauges show normal temps and pressure. Do any of you think it could be an oil issue that I could resolve by changing it myself to be sure I actually have what the last oil change claims they put in? If it is an exhaust manifold leak or a gasket leak, wouldn't the ticking sound be likely to be heard when the engine is first started and cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Try some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube. It seems to quiet mine when I add it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 AM

Thanked 10,690 Times in 5,768 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Have you checked the oil level?

Could be a vvti issue also...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, the oil level is good -- should've mentioned that in the OP.....might try the Lucas today. My thought is, since this dealer handles quite a lot of maintenance for life appointments, (buy a vehicle, get this perk), and probably I am one of the few percent who comes along and requests the synthetic upgrade for an additional fee, the normal oil change probably includes whatever bulk Dino oil they get the best price for. If out of habit , tech hurry or just plain oversight for a different request, they filled my truck with the wrong oil, say 5-20w or straight 30w, would that be something to consider as cause for this noise? Went to one of the two Toyota dealers and the girl at the front desk for service wouldn't even entertain the thought of me asking a quick question about this to one their techs or service mgr. Instead they talked me into an appointment on the 17th to let them diagnose it. I'd go ahead and just do another oil change myself, but if my thinking is way off about the oil issue, I'll just keep the oil, filter, and tool cost in my pocket. Thanks for all your info and suggestions.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhi1 View Post
...requests the synthetic upgrade for an additional fee, the normal oil change probably includes whatever bulk Dino oil they get the best price for.
You need to verify what they are putting in your truck. Your engine is specified for 0w-20 synthetic and nothing else. I had a similar issue with the local Acura dealer. Wasn't really paying attention to the oil changes (entirely my fault, lesson learned) until I noticed, at around the 50k mile mark, that the dealer uses bulk oil in all their oil changes which is 5w-30 blend. Her MDX is specified for 0w-20 synthetic. Needless to say, I don't take the MDX to that dealer anymore.

Sounds like there is a good possibility that you have the incorrect viscosity oil in your truck.

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Actually your 5.7 can run on more then 0W-20. It even states on the oil cap to use either 5W-20 or 0W-20.

I am currently running a 5W-30 full synthetic oil. From time to time I run a 0W-30 depending on the time of year. Remember the first number to the oil is your "winter weight".

I have noticed when I ran the 0W-20 my motor made more noise but I got a little better mpg. When I switched to the heavier weight it quieted it down noticeably.

BG makes a product that is designed for the top end of your motor that lubricates and takes out the noise.

I had a oil change place short change me a few quart oil oil on my Frontier and by the time I made it one block it all sorts of noise. I pulled back in and they added the correct amount of oil and then the BG product. As soon as they poured in the BG product the upper end clatter completely disappeared.

Just my $.02 but you might try a product like the BG that I was talking about. Oh and I have 232k miles on my 2007 5.7 so I have listened to my motor a lot.

Best of luck to you.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

Semper Fi
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

Last edited by McGovTundra; 01-07-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fix my mindless phvck up. DOH!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update - bought a quart of that Lucas stuff at wallyworld for 9 bux. Had a half tank of fuel and poured some in before leaving the parking lot. Prob'ly a little more than the recommended dose, but the label even says you can't hurt it, just wastes your money I s'pose. Hit the Highway and drove across Tucson. Normally this would produce that "Tack -Tack-Tack" sound and ...... Holy schnikies!!!. Nothing! Never have I ever considered all that bottled performance stuff to be something I'd even try. My truck even sounds smoother and pops off the line. I'm stoked! Maybe I had a clogged injector? A sticky valve? We'll see if it lasts, but this was great advice to try this stuff.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Update - bought a quart of that Lucas stuff at wallyworld for 9 bux. Had a half tank of fuel and poured some in before leaving the parking lot. Prob'ly a little more than the recommended dose, but the label even says you can't hurt it, just wastes your money I s'pose. Hit the Highway and drove across Tucson. Normally this would produce that "Tack -Tack-Tack" sound and ...... Holy schnikies!!!. Nothing! Never have I ever considered all that bottled performance stuff to be something I'd even try. My truck even sounds smoother and pops off the line. I'm stoked! Maybe I had a clogged injector? A sticky valve? We'll see if it lasts, but this was great advice to try this stuff.

Great! Glad I could help. I did a ton of research on fuel additives and what not and that product seem to have the most results. I use it like two or three times a year but it seems to quiet the motor and Iíll usually get a mile or two more per gallon when itís in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update 2.0 - well I changed my oil this weekend myself. 0-20w Mobil 1, new filter, cleaned the throttle body front and back plus MAF sensor. Drove 45 miles of freeway and exited. No noise. . . I thought "cool ! Fixed the tapping sound !" Then I proceeded down the road about 5 miles doing 45-50 mph and pulled over to listen, and crap! It was back. Tack-Tack-Tack-Tack. . . . So I drove back to town and when I exited the freeway and came to the first stoplight it was quiet again. As I drove through town at varying city speeds it finally came back again before I got it home. It's coming from the passenger side only. Question I wonder now is, would an exhaust manifold leak possibly be the culprit. Maybe something expanding open enough to leak once heated up enough, like after highway speeds which may generate enough airflow around the engine to keep it cool, then slower town speeds on an already worked over engine? Or could it be a noisy lifter after all? Is that common? Just turned over 100k last weekend, maybe a flaky plug? Plan on changing those soon too.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,235 Times in 535 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Question I wonder now is, would an exhaust manifold leak possibly be the culprit.
I've seen exhaust leaks from the broken welds on the air injection tube at the manifold.
Check out my repair tehcnique.
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...ease-help.html

Quote:
Or could it be a noisy lifter after all? Is that common? Just turned over 100k last weekend, maybe a flaky plug?
I have never seen a noisy lifter on any new Toyota engine with hydraulic lifters (well, they are actually lash adjusters, not lifters).
I have however seen a bunch of primary chain tensioners making the type of noise you describe.
Not a small job to repair.
Use a stethoscope to pinpoint noise location.

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, 325 LPH AM FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
The Following User Says Thank You to ViktorG For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (02-06-2018)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have never seen a noisy lifter on any new Toyota engine with hydraulic lifters (well, they are actually lash adjusters, not lifters).
I have however seen a bunch of primary chain tensioners making the type of noise you describe.
Not a small job to repair.
Use a stethoscope to pinpoint noise location.[/QUOTE]

It seems like heat has something to with start of the ticking sound. Never read anything about the chain tensioners, would temperature affect those do you think?

I saw your manifold repair trick, very cool fix if that's the problem:thumbsup
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Possibly the belt tensioner?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,235 Times in 535 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Never read anything about the chain tensioners, would temperature affect those do you think?
The tensioners are oil fed, so the oil temperature and pressure would affect their operation.

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, 325 LPH AM FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorG View Post
The tensioners are oil fed, so the oil temperature and pressure would affect their operation.

So the question begs . . . If this is the case, am I causing serious damage to my engine every time I drive with this tacking sound? Again, it seems to come on after exiting from highway driving and I make my way through town. At highway speeds (70-80mph), is the oil flowing under enough pressure due to high RPM's sustained that everything's ok. Maybe I should switch to higher viscosity 5-20w oil from now on, since it's so damn hot here most of the time to keep the pressure up a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in