Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Your thoughts? Filler up or let it ride?

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  alalmcgrath 
#1 ·
Told my mechanic to check and top of the fluids since i noticed the coolant was low. It was already in for an oil change.

I got the vehicle back with this

He says it's within specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#3 ·
It's barely above the low line. So if there is something going on the reduces further then I'm trouble? Wouldn't be preventative to add some so if there is an issue I'm going straight into trouble

#5 ·
I will. Was curious what others thought.
So thanks for your input.

#6 ·
technically, its within spec.
personally, i'd rather have it full. just like the oil dipstick, it can be towards the bottom but as long as its above the bottom line, its still within spec.
i'd go to a different mechanic, it would have been courteous of them to top off your fluids. also would be cool if they had hot receptionists in skimpy clothes, but i guess we cant have it all.

#7 ·
Just seems they where lazy.

#12 ·
That was cold. Can't find any leaks.

#14 ·
Mine is like that when its cold, after it warms up the coolant expands and some gets expelled into the overflow reservoir which is what that plastic tank is, it isn't your radiator, your radiator is full, if that tank is completely empty or you have a leak then there's a problem.

Mine kept losing coolant for a while and eventually the water pump had leaked enough that it was visible so it could be seen where the leak was and the water pump was replaced.

#17 ·
Here was the mechanics response: "If it is checked when the engine is cold instead you'll find the overflow reservoir a little closer to the full mark".

So they assumed the engine was warm, is how I read it. like I got home and checked it out.

#18 ·
I'll check it when it's warm and see what it does.

#22 ·
Mine is slightly below the low line. Been that way since I picked it up.

Hopefully they top if off on the first oil change, which hopefully they don't eph up...

Reactions: blakbull
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.