2013 Tundra 5.7 4x4 60k maintenance questions - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 Tundra 5.7 4x4 60k maintenance questions

So I just hit 60k on my tundra. 2013 5.7 4x4. a friend of a friend is a toyota mechanic and I asked him what I need done to the truck. he recommended:

Brake fluid flush
Transfer case fluid exchange
both differential fluid exchange
air filter (not needed I have a K&N)
cabin air filter
oil change

he quoted me $470

He said most of it was the fluids and that toyota gear oil was expensive. does this sound right/reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 12,061 Times in 4,846 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMadera562 View Post
So I just hit 60k on my tundra. 2013 5.7 4x4. a friend of a friend is a toyota mechanic and I asked him what I need done to the truck. he recommended:

Brake fluid flush
Transfer case fluid exchange
both differential fluid exchange
air filter (not needed I have a K&N)
cabin air filter
oil change

he quoted me $470

He said most of it was the fluids and that toyota gear oil was expensive. does this sound right/reasonable?
Sounds like typical dealership banter, so yes.
I call it the "rubber stamp" treatment.
None of it is a bad idea, but the question is...does a 3-4 year old truck really need it. There's a PH/moisture test strip to test brake fluid. They are expensive so a lot of places just recommend a brake flush at 2 years or so. Odds are, your brake fluid will pass the dip strip test. I'm actually surprised that he didn't recommend a coolant flush as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ASE Master Technician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

-
-
The Following User Says Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (09-23-2016)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57chevy View Post
Sounds like typical dealership banter, so yes.
I call it the "rubber stamp" treatment.
None of it is a bad idea, but the question is...does a 3-4 year old truck really need it. There's a PH/moisture test strip to test brake fluid. They are expensive so a lot of places just recommend a brake flush at 2 years or so. Odds are, your brake fluid will pass the dip strip test. I'm actually surprised that he didn't recommend a coolant flush as well.
thats funny that you mention the brake fluid because he stated he was not charging me for brake fluid, he blamed the bulk of the cost on the differential and transfer case fluids

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
2013 Tundra 5.7 4x4 60k maintenance questions

I have never understood the brake fluid flush unless their is a problem. I am an ex mechanic and went to school for it. Never was I taught to flush the entire brake system. Nor did I ever run into a problem on a higher mileage vehicle ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
I have never understood the brake fluid flush unless their is a problem. I am an ex mechanic and went to school for it. Never was I taught to flush the entire brake system. Nor did I ever run into a problem on a higher mileage vehicle ever.

I am not a mechanic but worked at a parts store. I was always taught and bought into the idea that brake fluid absorbed water/moiture. even in a sealed system. so eventually it would need to be flushed. but once again. I do not know jack
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post

Quote:
I am not a mechanic but worked at a parts store. I was always taught and bought into the idea that brake fluid absorbed water/moiture. even in a sealed system. so eventually it would need to be flushed. but once again. I do not know jack
That is correct. Over time it leads to corrosion. It can also lead to air in the hydraulic system. The water in the brake fluid can boil at the calipers under extended braking like rolling down the side of a mountain while pulling a trailer. When the water boils, the oxygen is released from the water. This leads to a spongy pedal a decreased braking efficiency.
Typical manufacturer recommendations for a flush is every 2 years. In my experience, using test strips, brake fluid typically lasts 4+ years under normal brake use.
Strips are available to test coolant, too. At one dealership I worked at, we mixed our own antifreeze/coolant on site for each vehicle. that was a pain in the arse, but taught me a lot about antifreeze/coolant.

ASE Master Technician

-
-

-
-
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
thats funny that you mention the brake fluid because he stated he was not charging me for brake fluid, he blamed the bulk of the cost on the differential and transfer case fluids
And he's right. Synthetic lubricants that are found in most gearboxes these days can run $20+ per qt, more if you're buying OEM fluid.
Flushes are a major money maker for all shops and, in my opinion, are over-sold to customers. The cabin filter is another place where the OEM can be way overpriced. I think my last one from Rock Auto was under ten bucks. A brake fluid flush runs from $59-99 in most shops and includes any fluid they use.

I'm guessing that you could do the flushes and oil change yourself and come in around the $100 mark depending an what engine oil you choose. (if you use aftermarket fluids and cabin filter)

ASE Master Technician

-
-

-
-
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
are aftermarket fluids ok for our trucks? I do not have a problem going with aftermarket fluids
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,357 Times in 589 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
are aftermarket fluids ok for our trucks? I do not have a problem going with aftermarket fluids
There is some Toyota LT synthetic differential/transfer case gear oil up on Ebay - well below dealer price and with free shipping.

Toyota Lexus Synthetic Gear Oil Lt 75W 85 08885 02506 Tundra Tacoma Sequoia FJ | eBay

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-27 plugs, A1000 FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Even though it's a little outside of the viscosity range, Mobil1 75W90 meets all other specifications for both the differentials and transfer case. Looking at the "before photo" it takes a little under 8 quarts of gear oil.

Brake fluid? Valvoline DOT3/DOT4 works just fine.

'13 Spruce Mica Tundra CM 5.7L Trd, White Knuckle Sliders, Leer 100XL cap w. Wilderness Package, Line-X, Bilstein 6100/5150, OME Rear Leafs, Exp1 front bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in