new 2016 Tundra Idling Tooooooo HIgh - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanked 6,579 Times in 3,956 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Garage

If there's one thing I could easily change myself about the startup RPM of my Tundra it would be the idle speed.
It starts out really high (1,500?) but settles down once the engine management system is satisfied.
I'd be a lot happier if the idle speed were easily adjusted by the owner.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymdt View Post
For OP, I'd like to know the idle readings at idle in park and drive with foot on brake both cold start and hot. Have to know this before we can determine if there is even an issue. You cannot base the idle specs with the truck moving.
That's what I took away from the OP's first statement. He's reading the rpm's from a moving vehicle!

Actively waiting on the funds to buy my first Tundra. Now accepting Paypal funds to help out if you're generous
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pmd1969 For This Useful Post:
toymdt (01-29-2017)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,146 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
Judging by the replies here it seems no one remembers what a choke is
You mean like on a go-cart or lawnmower?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sent from my Atari 2600
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaj23 For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (01-29-2017)

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
It sounds like he's concerned with the engine speed while moving, but the foot off the gas. It isn't going below 1100 RPM's while moving, foot off the gas (30mph).

I don't think engine RPM's would go much below that while in motion. With the foot off the gas, while moving, I'd think it would shift down, using engine breaking a little bit. Granted, it would have to be a long distance of no foot on the pedal before you slow the truck significantly without using brakes.

I'm wondering if he's in SP mode. I usually have to use braking a little, as there aren't many long runs where I can basically coast to a speed as slow as 30mph.

If I drive on a cold engine, it's a different story. From a stop, I can let off the brake pedal and get some decent speed going, without applying any gas. Like others have said, the engine will rev higher no matter what until it's completely warmed up. Usually takes me a couple/few miles at least, before things get normal.

2014 5.7L SR Loooooong bed!
DirtyDeeds Stainless 8" BAMuffler
Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
BBS RD423 20" wheels. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015xl 275/55R20

Last edited by Idiot406; 01-29-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,057 Times in 710 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj23 View Post
You mean like on a go-cart or lawnmower?
Yes but I'm specifically referring to chokes that were on carbed autos. You always had to pump the gas once or twice to set the choke before you started them when they were cold and then they would idle ~2000 rpms, you'd stab the accelerator really quick and then they would go down to ~1500 rpms. They wouldn't hit idle speed until the engine was warmed up enough to get the choke to kick off. Modern fuel injected engines also do this but with no input from the operator. With you being in Gilbert these engines never go to high idle much of the year because it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the high idle. I get a lot of customers starting around DEC that start complaining of high idle because it finally gets cold here and they aren't used to their cars idling at 1500.

I'm not judging...I'm just sayin

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM

It seems so long ago... Back in the carb days, a plate literally choked off the air intake side of the carburetor, causing more fuel from the all the jets to get sucked into the engine. There was a little cam to open the butterfly more, upping the idle. Then they started using a fuel enrichener. Much more efficient. Now none of that matters with fuel injection.

Either way, cold engine is gonna idle pretty high for a bit. I just got back from running about the city. It's in the 50's, and the idle was almost 1500 initially. Took several miles before everything became normal. I let her warm up for at least a few minutes in the driveway. Just an old habit.

Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
Yes but I'm specifically referring to chokes that were on carbed autos. You always had to pump the gas once or twice to set the choke before you started them when they were cold and then they would idle ~2000 rpms, you'd stab the accelerator really quick and then they would go down to ~1500 rpms. They wouldn't hit idle speed until the engine was warmed up enough to get the choke to kick off. Modern fuel injected engines also do this but with no input from the operator. With you being in Gilbert these engines never go to high idle much of the year because it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the high idle. I get a lot of customers starting around DEC that start complaining of high idle because it finally gets cold here and they aren't used to their cars idling at 1500.
Older Quadrajets (or at least the one on my 69) requires the operator to press the accelerator down to the floor letting up and then pressing down halfway. This will set the choke for the engine to start correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscigars View Post
It seems so long ago... Back in the carb days, a plate literally choked off the air intake side of the carburetor, causing more fuel from the all the jets to get sucked into the engine. There was a little cam to open the butterfly more, upping the idle. Then they started using a fuel enrichener. Much more efficient. Now none of that matters with fuel injection.

Either way, cold engine is gonna idle pretty high for a bit. I just got back from running about the city. It's in the 50's, and the idle was almost 1500 initially. Took several miles before everything became normal. I let her warm up for at least a few minutes in the driveway. Just an old habit.
Wasn't that long ago and they are still sued to day in some applications.

1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, Cadillac Brougham, Honda Prelude (Base Model), Subaru Justy
1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) V8 engine.
1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the AMC 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8 engine.[11]
1993 Mazda B2200 (Light Truck)
1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Brit video of how a carb works

Actively waiting on the funds to buy my first Tundra. Now accepting Paypal funds to help out if you're generous
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1969 View Post

Wasn't that long ago and they are still sued to day in some applications.

1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, Cadillac Brougham, Honda Prelude (Base Model), Subaru Justy
1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) V8 engine.
1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the AMC 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8 engine.[11]
1993 Mazda B2200 (Light Truck)
1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[12]

I was attempting to not show my age. It seems like yesterday that carbs were commonplace. But, in your examples, the most recent is twenty three years old. It is true, carbs are still used, but I've only seen them in lawnmowers and some tractors. Maybe a dirtbike and such.

Yep, we're old.

Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot406 For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (01-29-2017)
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,057 Times in 710 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Quote:
I was attempting to not show my age..
I used to rebuild them for a living, hows that for showing your age.

I'm not judging...I'm just sayin

The Following User Says Thank You to l1tech For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (01-29-2017)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I was attempting to not show my age. It seems like yesterday that carbs were commonplace. But, in your examples, the most recent is twenty three years old. It is true, carbs are still used, but I've only seen them in lawnmowers and some tractors. Maybe a dirtbike and such.

Yep, we're old.
What's this "we" shit? lol. My 99 Valkyrie has six carbs from the factory in it . There are plenty of motorcycles that have them since puters and FI are expensive.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1969 View Post
What's this "we" shit? lol. My 99 Valkyrie has six carbs from the factory in it . There are plenty of motorcycles that have them since puters and FI are expensive.
Time isn't our friend!
Ugh once I had to synchronize the carbs on a Gold Wing, which is the same engine (I think, at least at the time). Six carbs. But, my mercury gauge was for four carbs, so I had to do four, then the last two. It literally took all day. At least with Harley's, it was only one carb. Easy!

Wow I've helped derail another thread. I guess it's my "Thing" now. Niiiiice

Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in