Tundra "concerns" - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I blink, I lose sight of the gauges as well.

Very disturbing.

Just kidding. I just drive mine. It works well and I know that when I trade it in (like the last 3) the dealer will be happy I returned and will give me top dollar and it will reaffirm why I drive a Tundra. It ain't perfect, but while my buds are driving trucks that are in the shop for silly things, I will be driving around waiting to change my oil again and drive some more.

Good luck with the gauges. I don't look at them much.
The Following User Says Thank You to wikidoki For This Useful Post:
riccnick (06-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
There is nothing unusual about my sitting position. My seat is raised to about the middle position. The seat back is almost all the way upright and the steering wheel is down, not telescoped out at all. I'm 6'1. And yep, it hides the gauges. It's not a deal breaker, but it certainly seems like an easy design fix once it's acknowledged. Perhaps an all digital cluster that can be modified and rearranged. That would allow for font, color and brightness adjustments for individual drivers as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I just set my seat where I need it to be then set the steering wheel where I can see everything. Regardless of the vehicle, there isn't that much of a difference for me. After a few days it feels like normal and I'm use to it.

My only concern about the truck is the shit stereo in the SR5 which I hope to have fixed by the 4th of July weekend!!

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugDog View Post
There is nothing unusual about my sitting position. My seat is raised to about the middle position. The seat back is almost all the way upright and the steering wheel is down, not telescoped out at all. I'm 6'1. And yep, it hides the gauges. It's not a deal breaker, but it certainly seems like an easy design fix once it's acknowledged. Perhaps an all digital cluster that can be modified and rearranged. That would allow for font, color and brightness adjustments for individual drivers as well.
I have and have had the same issue with the past few vehicles I've owned that have an adjustable steering wheel ('03 Maxima, '06 Frontier, '14 Tundra). I'm used to it now though would be cool to be able to get the speedo in the small digital window in the instrument cluster.

This is one of my only gripes with my rig (21k miles on it with zero issues) and if this turns out to be the worst thing about it I'll be happier than a (the reader can finish my sentence).

2014 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax 4x4 SR5 TRD Off-Road in bitchin' Red.

Nothing is as it seems. Nor is it otherwise.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt2 View Post
I just set my seat where I need it to be then set the steering wheel where I can see everything. Regardless of the vehicle, there isn't that much of a difference for me. After a few days it feels like normal and I'm use to it.

My only concern about the truck is the shit stereo in the SR5 which I hope to have fixed by the 4th of July weekend!!

You must have gotten a lemon stereo, or a different one in yours than I did. My stereo rocks. It kills my Bose system in my RX8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thought I'd post another gripe. Not just with Toyota thought.

Why don't all trucks automatically go in tow mode when a trailer is connected? Since I almost never have a trailer disconnected from my truck, I'd rather only have to push the button once to put it in "permanent" tow/haul mode, or just have the truck recognize that 7 way plug is connected and turn it on when I start the truck. I can't imagine a time a 7 way would be connected that you wouldn't want it it tow mode. If there is, it's certainly less often.

The Following User Says Thank You to RugDog For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (07-04-2015)
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post

How about the over-intrusive nannies in these trucks, now that's something to really complain about. .

Please illiterate.

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:45 AM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Quote:
Please illiterate.
Traction control, stability control, rollover sensors, etc. They're referred to here quite often as Nannies. They're extremely intrusive in these trucks...to the point where they are dangerous at times unless you disable them. Try turning off a gravel road onto a paved road and accelerate quick enough to get up to speed with the flow of traffic...not with the nannies engaged you won't, it will cut power to the engine at the first wheel slip. Learned to just disable the nannies before driving to fix that problem.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 AM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Quote:
Thought I'd post another gripe. Not just with Toyota thought.

Why don't all trucks automatically go in tow mode when a trailer is connected? Since I almost never have a trailer disconnected from my truck, I'd rather only have to push the button once to put it in "permanent" tow/haul mode, or just have the truck recognize that 7 way plug is connected and turn it on when I start the truck. I can't imagine a time a 7 way would be connected that you wouldn't want it it tow mode. If there is, it's certainly less often.
Or not even have a tow/haul mode and just get rid of a couple gears that sure didn't help with the fuel economy at all having a 6 speed transmission LOL. Tow/haul mode used to be using a lower gear or shifting gears later with a manual transmission LOL.

I have all of my trailers wired with the 7 pin plug because the garbage 4 pin plugs love to come unplugged which you don't notice until you've got to where you are going and realize that the 4 pin plug is now gone from being drug on the ground LOL. My heaviest trailer unloaded is 2100lbs. None of them are heavy enough to need the tow/haul mode, but it makes the truck a bit more responsive for sure.

It would make sense to just have a toggle switch for on/off so you can chose though that's for sure. Another one would be an on/off switch for the traction/stability control junk.

I don't see why they couldn't just add yet another sensor to automatically select tow/haul when you have a trailer connected though...that would make sense. I usually forget about the dang tow/haul button until I'm well down the road HAHA.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
This thread is stupid.
I was reading along and thought the same thing.

An adjustable steering wheel will cover up the gauges to some degree based on how you sit. Havnt been able to see how fast I'm going in my FJ since I bought it, but kinda my own fault since I adjust it that way. I do move my head to see when a cops around though.

The 4 wheel drive in the first generation was a button down by the ac buttons. Could also be hit with a knee if someone was sitting in the middle or accidentally pushed messing with AC. I'd get a call from the wife about every 3 years, the trucks really hard to turn.....not sure why she couldn't remember from the last time. The dial is actually a step forward IMO.

And I like the tether on the gas cap.

Not really sure why I continued this post after the first sentence but I've never been confused with a rocket scientist.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Traction control, stability control, rollover sensors, etc. They're referred to here quite often as Nannies. They're extremely intrusive in these trucks...to the point where they are dangerous at times unless you disable them. Try turning off a gravel road onto a paved road and accelerate quick enough to get up to speed with the flow of traffic...not with the nannies engaged you won't, it will cut power to the engine at the first wheel slip. Learned to just disable the nannies before driving to fix that problem.
That explains what i thought I was sensing while "accelerating". I thought it was in my head.

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You must have gotten a lemon stereo, or a different one in yours than I did. My stereo rocks. It kills my Bose system in my RX8.
What are you smoking? The stereo system in my new Tundra is the biggest disappointment! My wife's Bose in her Lexus blows the doors off her car. Mine is at MAX all the time just to hear it over the rolled down windows. There are 100 threads on this forum that talk about how shitty the systems are.

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokahpolice View Post
What are you smoking? The stereo system in my new Tundra is the biggest disappointment! My wife's Bose in her Lexus blows the doors off her car. Mine is at MAX all the time just to hear it over the rolled down windows. There are 100 threads on this forum that talk about how shitty the systems are.

Hmmm. Guess I got the one magic stereo then. It's louder than it needs to be with perfect clarity and plenty of bass as well.

Perhaps a bunch of stereos were installed incorrectly, yours being one of them. Or they just put a better stereo in my truck.

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Funny, i was running some solid trails today thinking of just how much i love my truck.

Keep your lettuce crisp, and your hair low and loose.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Attachment 495082On my 2010, the silly gas-cap tether was one of my first "mods". Now; without the tether fighting for position, I can hang the gas cap on the lid with no interference from the tether.As for carpet,very little of it is visible from under my Husky Liners.My streering wheel is adjusted lower than most but doesn't obstruct any gauges.Like RugDog's,my 4X4 knob doesn't have much resistance so I'll have to keep that in mind.I like to keep the engine compartment clean too, so I lit it up with 4' of LED's and an automatic switch.
Love the engine bay light. Do you have more pictures of it with the light off? I'm interested in how you mounted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in