Had oil changed tech did not care for me . - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Had oil changed tech did not care for me .

Dealer has a bay window so can watch them service your vehicle . Watched him put the oil in but he never checked the dip stick just shut the hood. He did this on the vehicle before me as well. So I mentioned it to the service writer and he had the guy Chcck the level which he did and said it was fine.

I just think that should be done with all vehicles and not to rely on the gauge just to be sure. Took him no more than a minute to do this.
But the kicker was he popped the hood and was not sure where the dip stick was till he looked around. Hmm tells me he needs to do this more.

Went to get in my truck when I was leaving and had a oil hand print in my door also on the inside Dodgers handle Truck is a super Whipte with tan interior. The service guy had it taken care of but I guess that was my pay back lol.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Hickman For This Useful Post:
morser77 (04-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,503 Times in 3,873 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Garage
How dare you point out he's not doing his job. The techs at the dealer I go to seem less than friendly and less than knowledgable sometimes. Last visit I had them put on new wipers...first guy put the wiper on the wrong side so another came out to help. Before long 3 guys working to change wipers. I haven't been back since and started doing my own oil changes. Unfortunately, the lock on the tailgate has been acting up since before the winter and it finally stopped working. I had them look at it when I first noticed it and I have until July until my CPO is done, so I have to go back at least one more time.

PHP Code:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Tundra DoubleCab 5.7 TRD • 295/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx • BORA 1" wheel spacers • TRD Rear sway bar • TRD front skid plate • TRD CAI • Carrier bearing drop • Front diff spacer • BA Muffler 6" system • Firestick II antenna • Debadged • BHLM
The Following User Says Thank You to morser77 For This Useful Post:
Mike Hickman (04-22-2015)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I often times do not check the dip stick either. Why? Out of the millions of engines made with the same oil pan and the same exact quantity of oil going in, i've NEVER had oil that was out of specification when the car was in for just an oil change. Major engine work is different than a normal drain and fill.

If a GTI comes in and I do an oil change with 4.9 quarts and it's low, my floor is probably full of fresh oil. I guess only seasoned dealer techs would understand. My jeep takes 6 quarts on the dot. Never bothered to check after a change and it's always at the full line during the whole service life of the oil. Many new cars don't even have dip sticks.

Protected by Glock.
A two wheel drive truck is like a really hot woman with no vagina. Looks amazing but you can't do anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,503 Times in 3,873 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Garage
Used to be when u got an oil change they'd bring out the dip stick and show it to you. After hearing horror stories, including on this forum, of techs forgetting to even put oil in, I think it's a good idea to check the oil level. Just saying.

PHP Code:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Tundra DoubleCab 5.7 TRD • 295/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx • BORA 1" wheel spacers • TRD Rear sway bar • TRD front skid plate • TRD CAI • Carrier bearing drop • Front diff spacer • BA Muffler 6" system • Firestick II antenna • Debadged • BHLM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morser77 For This Useful Post:
EVOL ARDNUT (04-23-2015), parker44 (04-24-2015)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
ya... its called redundancy for fuks sake,... and any kind of responsible tradesperson takes those kind of precautions to proof his work, no matter if you're working on cars or building houses, you know? like checking things twice??
i hate dealers with a passion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrtruckman For This Useful Post:
Big Shasta (04-23-2015), riccnick (04-25-2015)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morser77 View Post
Used to be when u got an oil change they'd bring out the dip stick and show it to you. After hearing horror stories, including on this forum, of techs forgetting to even put oil in, I think it's a good idea to check the oil level. Just saying.
My wife has had her subaru maintained at the dealer as part of her deal with them. She made a good deal all around on the vehicle with me just giving pointers during the process. On her first oil change I told her to insist they show you the dipstick when they get done. She asked why and I said.

1. So you understand what the level is on a dealer change and can tell if you lose oil between changes and

2. Because they may to do a better job on servicing your vehicle if they know you are going to check their work.

I also had her mark the filter and request they mark the new filter with the ext change needed mileage.

Not checking a dipstick after an oil change is not smart...I don't care who you are or what you do, you can make a mistake on how much you put in. Esp with the odd amount ps some engines list these days (as opposed to 5 qts even).

~ Some get spiritual because they see the light and some 'cause they feel the heat - Ray Wylie Hubbard

TWRRC #2
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Reason behind my question him is we had my wife's 13 4x4 Tacoma in for oil change. They brought it around said here you go my wife started it, check engine light came on, truck shut down. Service writer came out and it was by their gauge 2 quarts low that he admitted to. He said it was logged in on our records for any problems down the road.
Since that happen I am anal with them.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
One other thing I have the 2012 TRD SR5 4x4 and it's a flex. They put in synthetic oil and was unable to use my coupon because of that, O well . So should I not be able to go the 10k service cause I have never used E85 or plan to.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.

Last edited by Mike Hickman; 04-22-2015 at 10:38 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 22,388 Times in 11,025 Posts
Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
Quoted: 8752 Post(s)
Garage
I have always changed my own oil, but sometimes you get busy or the shop has a good deal, so I'll take it in. Twice I have checked it when I got home and once found it low, once overfull, this from 2 different places. Now, whenever I have a oil change done for me, I bring a paper towel with me, let the vehicle sit, turned off, after they pull it around for a few minutes, and check it before I leave.

When I bought the new Tundra,I started taking it to the dealer I bought it from for the free Toyota Care. I politely told the service rep what I was doing, and he was very nice and understanding. He said he totally understood and even offered to go get me a rag so I could check it.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@Azblue
Maybe it's because I have no chrome lol.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 22,388 Times in 11,025 Posts
Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
Quoted: 8752 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hickman View Post
@Azblue
Maybe it's because I have no chrome lol.

Many truck related difficulties can be directly attributed to a lack of chrome.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (04-24-2015), riccnick (04-25-2015)
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post
Many truck related difficulties can be directly attributed to a lack of chrome.
Amen Brother!

That's right... It's an 14' with a foot print gas pedal and a Hurst speed shifter with a pool-ball grip.
Build Log Here:

14' Tundra 1794 Save The Chrome Club #46
02' Tundra Limited (Gone)
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
I will bet there is a procedure, for everything a tech does on the vehicle. I have money that says the SOP on that task is, to check the oil after the change. Service managers, should be writing up these techs, that don't follow the SOP on what is a very common task.

It would be like an electrician, not checking the power after it was supposedly shut off, the sticking his hands in the breaker box. It just should not happen .

Being in the service business, most of the issues that we have go backs for are, just not following procedure. It pisses me off, because it just costs us money and inability to fill that time in the schedule, with something that pays the bills.

I send 4 guys out to a job . I have always told them, there has to be 4 sets of eyes, checking the jobsite, before they leave the job. Never fails that a tool, garbage, or even a ladder, is left near the work area. Were they following a simple procedure ?

Unfortunately, there needs to be way to much "overstating the obvious", with the workforce these days.

Hell yeah, they should be checking the dipstick !!!

2013 Fj Cruiser TT Cement Gray "The Rock"
SEMA booth 2013

Next Up
Crewmax Tundra Platinum S/C
The Following User Says Thank You to Wikid For This Useful Post:
riccnick (04-25-2015)
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
^^^^^ It takes less than a minute, yep.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
These poor techs at the dealer get .33hr for an oil change and how many point inspection, that starts from the time the vehicle enters the shop to the time the next vehicle comes in. Usually oil changes are alotted to apprentices and lube techs not certified journeymen technicans. Dealers are rough for mechanics too, still thats no excuse for screwing up on an oil change.
The Following User Says Thank You to 521 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (04-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in