Flexfuel reflash successful or not - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Thanks: 79
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Flexfuel reflash successful or not

Okay, I've had 4 re flashes on my truck to supposedly fix the issues with the troubled flexfuel program. None have worked, SURPRISE! When I call to find out how Toyota plans to fix this ongoing problem they tell me they have had no returns on trucks they have reflashed, except for mine. I personally find this hard to believe given the performance after about 4-5 refills. Rough starts, poor gas mileage, decrease in power and performance. So I ask you, my fellow flexfuel owners, has it worked for you?

2012 Black 5.7 flexfuel crewmax; linex premium, Access vanish tonneau cover, Nfab nerf bars, EGR matte black bug/rock deflector, EGR matte black in channel air deflectors, Weathertech floor mats.
Merrick 64 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrick 64 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (09-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Enablers ville, USA
Posts: 340
Thanks: 1,822
Thanked 322 Times in 178 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2011 flex fuel, 5.7L cm, 100k miles. Never been flashed, never had these issues.
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Senorbigham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 37
Thanks: 4
Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Had the reflash, no issues at all. Mileage actually got better. Don't know if that's an effect of the reflash or the truck optimizing to my driving habits.

[/SIGPIC]
Senorbigham is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Senorbigham For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Cruzrtwdgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 607
Thanks: 691
Thanked 502 Times in 270 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Had it. No issues before or after. As above mileage got a little better and shifts seemed firmer but that could have just been the adaptive thingy going on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 DC SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7 Super White
TRD Dual Exhaust
2.5" Rough Country level kit
HyperTech Interceptor

2008 Can Am Renegade 800
2014 Harley Davidson FLHTK

09 Tundra TRD DC 4x4(sold)
08 4Runner SR5(sold)

Why yes, I do like Toyota....
Cruzrtwdgt is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruzrtwdgt For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
desmodromic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 287
Thanked 711 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Had the reflash done. No improvement. Still getting 7.2 mpg city. I've had the truck in 4 times to no avail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
desmodromic is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
toy4x4boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richland, MI
Posts: 1,203
Thanks: 101
Thanked 568 Times in 402 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
2010 flex fuel 54k no issues never reflashed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD 5.7L 4x4
2" SS front spacers / Firestone Airbags / 295/65-18 Duratrac's / 18x9 Level 8 Guardian's / Corsa exhaust / K&N intake / OEM tow mirrors / N-Fabs / Sparks grill / BHLM / Power Slot cryo rotors / Hawk pads / Line-X / Truxport tonneau / WeatherTech's / LED light swap / fog light mod / tinted windows / debadged / Prodigy P3 / Equalizer / 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG in tow
toy4x4boy is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Southern4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,500
Thanks: 1,051
Thanked 1,482 Times in 764 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK-WAR View Post
Had the reflash done. No improvement. Still getting 7.2 mpg city. I've had the truck in 4 times to no avail.
7.2 city? What about hwy? And what is your avg?
Southern4x4 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Southern4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,500
Thanks: 1,051
Thanked 1,482 Times in 764 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was flashed and I didn't see a difference but min was flashed at about 2500 miles. No problems though. I drive fairly normal, getting in the throttle often, but making up for it by cruising on the hwy at 65 and 70. I avg about 14.5 but could get 15.5 if I never had any fun with it. On the 20's that came with the truck.
Southern4x4 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
2012CMINCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,535
Thanks: 3,147
Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,551 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Mine was flashed - no problems before or after. I actually think I get a bit better mpg after the flash - but I also installed a trd intake close thereafter so perhaps that's assisting with the .5-1 mpg improvement. 27k on the truck now. 2012.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2012CMINCO is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
desmodromic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 287
Thanked 711 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4x4 View Post
7.2 city? What about hwy? And what is your avg?

Maybe 10.5 hwy, 8mpg avg, but i really only drive locally. The problem is the ECM runs the engine in E85 mode and therefore pumps 40% more fuel than necessary. I suspect either the alcohol sensor or the fuel pump itself is defective. Toyota knows about the problem, but doesn't want to properly address the problem by replacing the hardware. They's rather issue ECU reflashes.

E85 has never been in my truck.

2013 FFV Tundra is crap. I really like the truck, just wish it was non Flex Fuel.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
desmodromic is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Southern4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,500
Thanks: 1,051
Thanked 1,482 Times in 764 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Ooofff... That's awful. So you have informed the 800 number then I take it. You have kept all of your service documentation too, they don't record everything using the login provided on their website. And you have checked your states lemon laws, right? So after you have done that, you write a letter detailing your problem and give them 30 days to fix it. That's the process in Texas anyway. It does work, I've been thru it first hand. They will fix it or buy it back. Pm me if you want anymore details.
Southern4x4 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
 
desmodromic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 287
Thanked 711 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4x4 View Post
Ooofff... That's awful. So you have informed the 800 number then I take it. You have kept all of your service documentation too, they don't record everything using the login provided on their website. And you have checked your states lemon laws, right? So after you have done that, you write a letter detailing your problem and give them 30 days to fix it. That's the process in Texas anyway. It does work, I've been thru it first hand. They will fix it or buy it back. Pm me if you want anymore details.
I appreciate the advice. I have initiated a case with Toyota Customer care and I've been building up the requisite dealer visits and service history. There are a number of members on this forum with similar problems stemming from the Tundra FFV system. I've been waiting for things to slow down at work so I can dedicate time to a full court press on this issue.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
desmodromic is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to desmodromic For This Useful Post:
Southern4x4 (12-05-2013)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wiscansin
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK-WAR View Post
Maybe 10.5 hwy, 8mpg avg, but i really only drive locally. The problem is the ECM runs the engine in E85 mode and therefore pumps 40% more fuel than necessary. I suspect either the alcohol sensor or the fuel pump itself is defective. Toyota knows about the problem, but doesn't want to properly address the problem by replacing the hardware. They's rather issue ECU reflashes.

E85 has never been in my truck.

2013 FFV Tundra is crap. I really like the truck, just wish it was non Flex Fuel.
Its not a part issue, the problem is with the technetium doing the reflash. Sounds like he never reset the alcohol density learning value after doing the reflash. I am willing to bet your alcohol density value is at 70% or more which is bad. The max it should be when using regular fuel is 15% any higher and you will have the issues your having. So if I were you Id go to the dealer and have them check the alcohol density value and show you the value before they reset it. This will prove the dealer is at fault and did not properly do the reflash as specified by Toyota.

Borg Warner S366 IS300: 615whp 574ft/lbs
Tundra.......stockish
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leonard_is300 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to leonard_is300 For This Useful Post:
desmodromic (12-10-2013)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
desmodromic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 287
Thanked 711 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
Its not a part issue, the problem is with the technetium doing the reflash. Sounds like he never reset the alcohol density learning value after doing the reflash. I am willing to bet your alcohol density value is at 70% or more which is bad. The max it should be when using regular fuel is 15% any higher and you will have the issues your having. So if I were you Id go to the dealer and have them check the alcohol density value and show you the value before they reset it. This will prove the dealer is at fault and did not properly do the reflash as specified by Toyota.
Thanks for info. This particular Toyota dealer/service department is definitely clueless. I made them reset the alcohol density value on my 4th visit. If was at ~86%. I can gaurantee it is already back over 50% after just a few tankfulls. I'll hook it up to Techstream myself sometime this week snd check it out. There are several members here for whom repeated reflashes did not solve the problem. A couple found relief after a new fuel pump was installed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
desmodromic is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wiscansin
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK-WAR View Post
Thanks for info. This particular Toyota dealer/service department is definitely clueless. I made them reset the alcohol density value on my 4th visit. If was at ~86%. I can gaurantee it is already back over 50% after just a few tankfulls. I'll hook it up to Techstream myself sometime this week snd check it out. There are several members here for whom repeated reflashes did not solve the problem. A couple found relief after a new fuel pump was installed.
Good Im glad you aware of the alcohol density value as 90% of people are clueless about it. It is possible the flex fuel sensor is bad, I have not replaced one yet so I cant really say thats a common fix but it may be a step in the right direction. And Im sorry to hear the dealer you go to is full of airheads.

Borg Warner S366 IS300: 615whp 574ft/lbs
Tundra.......stockish
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leonard_is300 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to leonard_is300 For This Useful Post:
desmodromic (12-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome