Flexfuel reflash successful or not - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Flexfuel reflash successful or not

Okay, I've had 4 re flashes on my truck to supposedly fix the issues with the troubled flexfuel program. None have worked, SURPRISE! When I call to find out how Toyota plans to fix this ongoing problem they tell me they have had no returns on trucks they have reflashed, except for mine. I personally find this hard to believe given the performance after about 4-5 refills. Rough starts, poor gas mileage, decrease in power and performance. So I ask you, my fellow flexfuel owners, has it worked for you?

2012 Black 5.7 flexfuel crewmax; linex premium, Access vanish tonneau cover, Nfab nerf bars, EGR matte black bug/rock deflector, EGR matte black in channel air deflectors, Weathertech floor mats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrick 64 For This Useful Post:
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK (09-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2011 flex fuel, 5.7L cm, 100k miles. Never been flashed, never had these issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Had the reflash, no issues at all. Mileage actually got better. Don't know if that's an effect of the reflash or the truck optimizing to my driving habits.

[/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to Senorbigham For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Had it. No issues before or after. As above mileage got a little better and shifts seemed firmer but that could have just been the adaptive thingy going on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 DC SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7 Super White
TRD Dual Exhaust
2.5" Rough Country level kit
HyperTech Interceptor

2008 Can Am Renegade 800
2014 Harley Davidson FLHTK

09 Tundra TRD DC 4x4(sold)
08 4Runner SR5(sold)

Why yes, I do like Toyota....
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruzrtwdgt For This Useful Post:
Merrick 64 (09-10-2013)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Had the reflash done. No improvement. Still getting 7.2 mpg city. I've had the truck in 4 times to no avail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
2010 flex fuel 54k no issues never reflashed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD 5.7L 4x4
2" SS front spacers / Firestone Airbags / 295/65-18 Duratrac's / 18x9 Level 8 Guardian's / Corsa exhaust / K&N intake / OEM tow mirrors / N-Fabs / Sparks grill / BHLM / Power Slot cryo rotors / Hawk pads / Line-X / Truxport tonneau / WeatherTech's / LED light swap / fog light mod / tinted windows / debadged / Prodigy P3 / Equalizer / 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG in tow
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 764 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK-WAR View Post
Had the reflash done. No improvement. Still getting 7.2 mpg city. I've had the truck in 4 times to no avail.
7.2 city? What about hwy? And what is your avg?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Garage
Mine was flashed and I didn't see a difference but min was flashed at about 2500 miles. No problems though. I drive fairly normal, getting in the throttle often, but making up for it by cruising on the hwy at 65 and 70. I avg about 14.5 but could get 15.5 if I never had any fun with it. On the 20's that came with the truck.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,551 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Mine was flashed - no problems before or after. I actually think I get a bit better mpg after the flash - but I also installed a trd intake close thereafter so perhaps that's assisting with the .5-1 mpg improvement. 27k on the truck now. 2012.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4x4 View Post
7.2 city? What about hwy? And what is your avg?

Maybe 10.5 hwy, 8mpg avg, but i really only drive locally. The problem is the ECM runs the engine in E85 mode and therefore pumps 40% more fuel than necessary. I suspect either the alcohol sensor or the fuel pump itself is defective. Toyota knows about the problem, but doesn't want to properly address the problem by replacing the hardware. They's rather issue ECU reflashes.

E85 has never been in my truck.

2013 FFV Tundra is crap. I really like the truck, just wish it was non Flex Fuel.

TRD Supercharger
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Garage
Ooofff... That's awful. So you have informed the 800 number then I take it. You have kept all of your service documentation too, they don't record everything using the login provided on their website. And you have checked your states lemon laws, right? So after you have done that, you write a letter detailing your problem and give them 30 days to fix it. That's the process in Texas anyway. It does work, I've been thru it first hand. They will fix it or buy it back. Pm me if you want anymore details.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4x4 View Post
Ooofff... That's awful. So you have informed the 800 number then I take it. You have kept all of your service documentation too, they don't record everything using the login provided on their website. And you have checked your states lemon laws, right? So after you have done that, you write a letter detailing your problem and give them 30 days to fix it. That's the process in Texas anyway. It does work, I've been thru it first hand. They will fix it or buy it back. Pm me if you want anymore details.
I appreciate the advice. I have initiated a case with Toyota Customer care and I've been building up the requisite dealer visits and service history. There are a number of members on this forum with similar problems stemming from the Tundra FFV system. I've been waiting for things to slow down at work so I can dedicate time to a full court press on this issue.

TRD Supercharger
The Following User Says Thank You to desmodromic For This Useful Post:
Southern4x4 (12-05-2013)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe 10.5 hwy, 8mpg avg, but i really only drive locally. The problem is the ECM runs the engine in E85 mode and therefore pumps 40% more fuel than necessary. I suspect either the alcohol sensor or the fuel pump itself is defective. Toyota knows about the problem, but doesn't want to properly address the problem by replacing the hardware. They's rather issue ECU reflashes.

E85 has never been in my truck.

2013 FFV Tundra is crap. I really like the truck, just wish it was non Flex Fuel.
Its not a part issue, the problem is with the technetium doing the reflash. Sounds like he never reset the alcohol density learning value after doing the reflash. I am willing to bet your alcohol density value is at 70% or more which is bad. The max it should be when using regular fuel is 15% any higher and you will have the issues your having. So if I were you Id go to the dealer and have them check the alcohol density value and show you the value before they reset it. This will prove the dealer is at fault and did not properly do the reflash as specified by Toyota.

Borg Warner S366 IS300: 615whp 574ft/lbs
Tundra.......stockish
The Following User Says Thank You to leonard_is300 For This Useful Post:
desmodromic (12-10-2013)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
Its not a part issue, the problem is with the technetium doing the reflash. Sounds like he never reset the alcohol density learning value after doing the reflash. I am willing to bet your alcohol density value is at 70% or more which is bad. The max it should be when using regular fuel is 15% any higher and you will have the issues your having. So if I were you Id go to the dealer and have them check the alcohol density value and show you the value before they reset it. This will prove the dealer is at fault and did not properly do the reflash as specified by Toyota.
Thanks for info. This particular Toyota dealer/service department is definitely clueless. I made them reset the alcohol density value on my 4th visit. If was at ~86%. I can gaurantee it is already back over 50% after just a few tankfulls. I'll hook it up to Techstream myself sometime this week snd check it out. There are several members here for whom repeated reflashes did not solve the problem. A couple found relief after a new fuel pump was installed.

TRD Supercharger
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for info. This particular Toyota dealer/service department is definitely clueless. I made them reset the alcohol density value on my 4th visit. If was at ~86%. I can gaurantee it is already back over 50% after just a few tankfulls. I'll hook it up to Techstream myself sometime this week snd check it out. There are several members here for whom repeated reflashes did not solve the problem. A couple found relief after a new fuel pump was installed.
Good Im glad you aware of the alcohol density value as 90% of people are clueless about it. It is possible the flex fuel sensor is bad, I have not replaced one yet so I cant really say thats a common fix but it may be a step in the right direction. And Im sorry to hear the dealer you go to is full of airheads.

Borg Warner S366 IS300: 615whp 574ft/lbs
Tundra.......stockish
The Following User Says Thank You to leonard_is300 For This Useful Post:
desmodromic (12-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in