Replacing Factory Fog lights with Rigid lndustries LED lights - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpride114 View Post
No problem. Glad it helps. FYI: I am all but certain YouTube has a video of someone doing a platinum. I think it was 2013 though.
Pic of the instructions really helps as Rigid customer service is having difficulty understanding my request for the installation instructions for the SAE fog lights and mounting brackets.

I'll look for the 2013 Platinum install video (may have seen it already). The one at the beginning of this thread is perfect though I wanted to see what kind of drilling we're talking about.

As much as I want to do this, I'll probably wait a bit on it. I want to be sure of the drilling and how to make my connectors before purchasing the lights and mounting bracket. I have also seen the straight up plug and play replacement LED fogs by another vendor that are a totally easy install, but I like the look of the Rigids more.

Thanks again for the pic.

2016 Tundra Platinum, Brushed Stainless Steel Step Boards, RetraxProMX Tonneau Cover, BedRug Bedliner, paint protection film, ESP Plastic Under Seat Storage, Aries StyleGuard Floorliners, HitchSafe, center console organizer, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock MGMC #386
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando622 View Post
Jason, thanks...I will check in with Rigid's customer service for a copy of the instructions.

irishpride, I am looking to see how intrusive the drilling into the bumper is that's needed for Platinum installs before I purchase the fog lights. If it's a hidden hole in the plastic corner piece of the bumper that would let me return the factory fogs for any reason in the future, that would be OK. If it requires a 'point of no return' type hole, I may keep thinking on it.

If I go with the lights, it would definitely be the D-series SAEs. Following other fog light threads, I'm looking to make the adapters that you and others are doing/have done as well as pick up amber covers for occasional use if there's room for them to snap on.
I just did the install last weekend on my Pro which has the same setup as the Platinum. It is just 3 holes to drill and you can go back to factory at anytime at all. just buy the wiring and the correct connectors and wire it up yourself so you don't have to cut and splice into the factory harness.

2015 Tundra TRD Pro blk
Weather Tech front liners | Weather Tech Rain/bug guards | Husky rear mats | ARE Z series | SABM | G-Tek sill protectors | Radiator dam | Rigid dually fog lights | Ride Rite bags | Air Lift Wireless One | Stebel horn mod | Front 50% tint | Ultimate headlight upgrade | Led interior lights | Led backup | DC rear seat fold down mod | Stream light in the center console | B&W 5" adjustable | Pop & Lock | Tow Mirrors | Nestah Edition Firestick | Mobtown Offroad Sliders | Raptor led upgrade (waiting install) | Underhood LEDs (waiting install)
The Following User Says Thank You to kayakhammer For This Useful Post:
lando622 (02-10-2016)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakhammer View Post
I just did the install last weekend on my Pro which has the same setup as the Platinum. It is just 3 holes to drill and you can go back to factory at anytime at all. just buy the wiring and the correct connectors and wire it up yourself so you don't have to cut and splice into the factory harness.
Thanks for that. I'll dig back through the other thread(s) to see what wires and connectors I'll need.

2016 Tundra Platinum, Brushed Stainless Steel Step Boards, RetraxProMX Tonneau Cover, BedRug Bedliner, paint protection film, ESP Plastic Under Seat Storage, Aries StyleGuard Floorliners, HitchSafe, center console organizer, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock MGMC #386

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll dig back through the other thread(s) to see what wires and connectors I'll need.
I ordered two of these:

Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 40197 Harness Extension: Automotive

Then a set of these:

Wire Pigtail Male H16 Type 2 64219 One Harness Socket Replacement HID | eBay

I already had a heat shrink kit.

2015 Tundra SR5 TRD DC w/Navi, Spray in bed liner, Heater package, TRD sway bar, Vled's led upgrades, Ranch Hand Nerf bars, Tow Package, TRD style dual exhaust by BaMuffler, 40" Light bar, non matching TRD PRO Grill/Bulge, Rear seat mod, Magnum bumper, Smittybuilt winch MGMC#338

2013 4Runner Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to irishpride114 For This Useful Post:
lando622 (02-10-2016)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I'll see when I can get time to get all the pieces together and do an install. What did you think was the hardest part?

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I'll see when I can get time to get all the pieces together and do an install. What did you think was the hardest part?
You coud go with these and wire directly to the h16 pigtails.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Hardest part was figuring out the removal of the original fog light. Easy tip is to grab on to the blue tab with needle nose pliers and pull it out then the Assembly comes right out.

2015 Tundra TRD Pro blk
Weather Tech front liners | Weather Tech Rain/bug guards | Husky rear mats | ARE Z series | SABM | G-Tek sill protectors | Radiator dam | Rigid dually fog lights | Ride Rite bags | Air Lift Wireless One | Stebel horn mod | Front 50% tint | Ultimate headlight upgrade | Led interior lights | Led backup | DC rear seat fold down mod | Stream light in the center console | B&W 5" adjustable | Pop & Lock | Tow Mirrors | Nestah Edition Firestick | Mobtown Offroad Sliders | Raptor led upgrade (waiting install) | Underhood LEDs (waiting install)
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Remembering which one was positive and negative after doing a test fit and function. Then just making a neat solder and heat shrink joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakhammer View Post
You coud go with these and wire directly to the h16 pigtails.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Hardest part was figuring out the removal of the original fog light. Easy tip is to grab on to the blue tab with needle nose pliers and pull it out then the Assembly comes right out.
I think he (like others) doesn't want to cut any factory wiring unless absolutely required to.

2015 Tundra SR5 TRD DC w/Navi, Spray in bed liner, Heater package, TRD sway bar, Vled's led upgrades, Ranch Hand Nerf bars, Tow Package, TRD style dual exhaust by BaMuffler, 40" Light bar, non matching TRD PRO Grill/Bulge, Rear seat mod, Magnum bumper, Smittybuilt winch MGMC#338

2013 4Runner Limited

Last edited by irishpride114; 02-10-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Remembering which one was positive and negative after doing a test fit and function. Then just making a neat solder and heat shrink joint.

I think he (like others) doesn't want to cut any factory wiring unless absolutely required to.
That is exactly what I did. I used the H16 pigtail and the deutsch connector both from amazon to maintain the factory wiring and connector. This would take out one more fail point from soldering two wires together.

2015 Tundra TRD Pro blk
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Best Mod so far....

Rigid DOT Fogs installed.

First Picture is half done to see the difference in color vs the stock fogs and the headlights in the daylight. Headlights are the Sylvania ZXE's.

This is an amazing improvement to stock lighting especially paired with the anytime fog light mod. Sometimes when I have the High beams on I'll turn the fogs off to replicate what I had with the stock lighting and I can't get over how terrible it was. (Even though the high beams alone are slightly better now with the Zxe's)

The photo against the garage door (Fogs + Low Beams) looks as if the fogs don't overlap, but if I were to back the truck away another 10' or so they would. I wanted these to light up the ditch as best i could. My driveway also slants to the left FYI.

Anyone debating this mod, I would highly recommend it. I'm sure the Xb's do a great job as well, but I opted for the Rigid's based on durability over time.

Daylight Half Done.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2489.jpg (200.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2492.jpg (189.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: png Low Beams.png (1.34 MB, 78 views)
File Type: png Rigid DOT.png (1.35 MB, 72 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to killab For This Useful Post:
wakefisher (07-27-2016)
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killab View Post
Rigid DOT Fogs installed.

First Picture is half done to see the difference in color vs the stock fogs and the headlights in the daylight. Headlights are the Sylvania ZXE's.

This is an amazing improvement to stock lighting especially paired with the anytime fog light mod. Sometimes when I have the High beams on I'll turn the fogs off to replicate what I had with the stock lighting and I can't get over how terrible it was. (Even though the high beams alone are slightly better now with the Zxe's)

The photo against the garage door (Fogs + Low Beams) looks as if the fogs don't overlap, but if I were to back the truck away another 10' or so they would. I wanted these to light up the ditch as best i could. My driveway also slants to the left FYI.

Anyone debating this mod, I would highly recommend it. I'm sure the Xb's do a great job as well, but I opted for the Rigid's based on durability over time.

Attachment 653833
looks great! I am just about to pull the trigger on these. I have same color limited but just got painted matched bumper caps so guessing i need to do the drilling? What did you use for the harness, does someone make these plug and play harnesses? Also did you do the anytime fog light mod no cut or cut? Again looks great man!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by llneverfollowll View Post
looks great! I am just about to pull the trigger on these. I have same color limited but just got painted matched bumper caps so guessing i need to do the drilling? What did you use for the harness, does someone make these plug and play harnesses? Also did you do the anytime fog light mod no cut or cut? Again looks great man!
Yes, I did the anytime fog light mod. I did the no cut version. I want everything to be able to go back to stock if need be. To me it is a must do to "fill in the gaps of your high beams". See attached photos. Top is Fogs + High Beams and bottom is High Beams only.

You will have to do the drilling, but honestly it is pretty simple and if you were to go back to stock some day the original housing covers up the holes anyway. No one would know the difference.

For the wiring I also did not want to cut my stock set up so I bought two h11 ends (which are the same ends as our h16's), cut the Rigid ends off the supplied wire and soldered the two together and sealed with heat shrink. I think someone on the forum was making up some of these at one point but i don't know if they are still doing it. I was only able to find the plug and play set up for the Gen 2 tundras on amazon (which uses the h10 connector).

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

Last edited by killab; 05-20-2016 at 09:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to killab For This Useful Post:
llneverfollowll (05-20-2016)
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by llneverfollowll View Post
Check into this thread for the wiring harness.

Looks like he can help.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...t-upgrade.html
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sub'd

2016 Tundra 1794, Bilstein 6112/5160, CB Shackles +2, CB Shims, Stubby Antenna, LED Interior Lights, TRD Sway Bar, Flex Undercover, Bedrug, Swingbox, LED Fogs, Sylvania zXe Headamps, Husky Xact Fit Liners, Qi Wireless Mod, Pop-n-Lok, Auto Tailgate Mod, Courtesy Light Mod, Bed Lights, Fog Light Mod
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sub'd

2016 Tundra 1794, Bilstein 6112/5160, CB Shackles +2, CB Shims, Stubby Antenna, LED Interior Lights, TRD Sway Bar, Flex Undercover, Bedrug, Swingbox, LED Fogs, Sylvania zXe Headamps, Husky Xact Fit Liners, Qi Wireless Mod, Pop-n-Lok, Auto Tailgate Mod, Courtesy Light Mod, Bed Lights, Fog Light Mod
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killab View Post
Yes, I did the anytime fog light mod. I did the no cut version. I want everything to be able to go back to stock if need be. To me it is a must do to "fill in the gaps of your high beams". See attached photos. Top is Fogs + High Beams and bottom is High Beams only.

You will have to do the drilling, but honestly it is pretty simple and if you were to go back to stock some day the original housing covers up the holes anyway. No one would know the difference.

For the wiring I also did not want to cut my stock set up so I bought two h11 ends (which are the same ends as our h16's), cut the Rigid ends off the supplied wire and soldered the two together and sealed with heat shrink. I think someone on the forum was making up some of these at one point but i don't know if they are still doing it. I was only able to find the plug and play set up for the Gen 2 tundras on amazon (which uses the h10 connector).

Attachment 655474

Attachment 655482

Thanks for all the help man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Pictures & Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in