Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No 2018?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
The TRD Magnussen sourced blower is 1.9L and gave the Tundra 500hp (flywheel) and 550 ft lbs of torque. The Whipple has an extra liter of displacement (2.9L) so expect the TRD numbers to grow, especially if you add both pulleys. The blower pulley is easy to swap as it's bolted on - not pressed. If I didn't already have my TRD blower, the Whipple would be a logical choice. Btw, I've got over 70k reliable miles on my TRD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-25 12.55.35.jpg (198.1 KB, 78 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to TRDCrewMax For This Useful Post:
riccnick (03-14-2019)
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
We love to think of them as super-reliable, and 100K miles is just getting started, BUT....

Waiting to add a couple hundred more HP until after the motor has 100k miles on it isn't always the cheap way to proceed. Buy it now and enjoy it longer before the rebuild.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron713 View Post
We love to think of them as super-reliable, and 100K miles is just getting started, BUT....

Waiting to add a couple hundred more HP until after the motor has 100k miles on it isn't always the cheap way to proceed. Buy it now and enjoy it longer before the rebuild.
I have 85k on my 5.7L so I'm compelled to stay with the Magnussen up to 100k when I rebuild and port it. The Whipple is the way to go but $7100 price tag is rather steep for most guys. The power it makes however is real. Tuners are using 2.9L Whipples on LS motors for Camaros, Vettes and Caddies and they're making huge, reliable power. Blower volume is key. After 12 years, still no one makes cams for the 3UR-FE.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCrewMax View Post
I have 85k on my 5.7L so I'm compelled to stay with the Magnussen up to 100k when I rebuild and port it.
Absolutely; enjoying it ASAP is the move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron713 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (03-14-2019)
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
There was a thread awhile back where someone actually did a bunch of work to get some cams made and the results were less than stellar. He was going to be updating everyone when he made more progress or determined why he wasn't getting the performance out of the cams, but I haven't seen anything on it in a very long time.

2017 CrewMax - Grey Metallic - JBA Long tube headers paired with @dirtydeed 3" race exhaust, Volant CAI, soon to be..DAP remote tune
(SOLD) 2013 DC - ICON Stage 2, Total Chaos UCA, BAM 8" Kit with cutouts, window visors, bug deflector, pasti dipped badges, plasti dipped rear bumper, color matched front grille, SDHQ Pre-runner winch mount front bumper, Smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic winch rope, Volant CAI, BullyDog GT Tuner, RIGID LED Fog Lights, VisionX A-Pillar driving lights, interior LED's, coverking seat covers, 35x12.5x17 BFGoodrich AT KO2's on 17x8.5" Method Double Standards
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmracer01 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (03-17-2019)
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 6,092 Times in 2,794 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer01 View Post
There was a thread awhile back where someone actually did a bunch of work to get some cams made and the results were less than stellar. He was going to be updating everyone when he made more progress or determined why he wasn't getting the performance out of the cams, but I haven't seen anything on it in a very long time.
@ViktorG

08 RCSB B00STED
10 T4R
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RIjon For This Useful Post:
nnfisher (06-08-2019), ViktorG (03-16-2019)
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIjon View Post
From what I remember, changing the valve train doesn't get you much of anything with the 5.7.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
Head and cam stuff isn't going to accomplish much (in comparison) when your intake is married to the blower. Basically, our valves aren't the restriction at the boost levels Tundras get from the SC, so keeping those valves open longer or further won't really help. Until you raise boost significantly over what Magnusson and TRD blowers can push (and keep that charge relatively cool), you won't see much gain. It's when you have a turbo or even a centrifugal SC that cam work adds significant pressure/flow, you might actually max out an aftermarket intake's flow.

Current Tundra SC solutions have no problem pushing the amount of air into the cylinders that we can use. Mainly because our bottom ends aren't able to support the amount of power a 5.7 can generate at high(er than 10psi) boost levels that would need more flow than the stock cams can allow in. If you're going to go crazy on a big bottom-end build, you're most likely going to be in a turbo or centrifugal SC and NEED a new intake anyway.

I come from the world of 2JZs, where most high hp street cars don't run aftermarket cams. It's not until you're putting 800 to the wheels with 26psi or more (unless on E85 or spraying methanol) that cams or intake begin to become a consideration, and that's to fix some of the low rpm issues a big turbo can create. Until that hp level, Supraguy can just slam a giant turbo, injectors/controller, a good intercooler on that beast and know that 2bar is GOING in that damn motor whether it's happy about it or not. If it doesn't go in the first 5 cylinders, it WILL go in #6 ... There are a ton of guys who run a temp range (or two) cooler spark plug in #6 for that reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron713 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (03-15-2019)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Wasn't there someone P&P'ing a set of heads a month or few ago too? I don't think I have seen any update on that, maybe it was in one of the fb Tundra groups, but I swore it was here.

Most manufacturers now have their engines pretty well balanced as far as flow goes now. It wasn't always that way.
Every engine has something that holds it back. Like the GN I had, it was the heads originally, you could slap a 60mm turbo on, and head gaskets were happy unless you didn't tune properly. The heads didn't flow enough. Once you P&P them, then you start allowing more flow and pushing head gaskets out even without knock.

In our case the bottom end seems to really be the limiting factor. I was amazed the cam swap didn't achieve gains. Most of the time cam swaps help damned near everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,226 Times in 528 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
From what I remember, changing the valve train doesn't get you much of anything with the 5.7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
I was amazed the cam swap didn't achieve gains. Most of the time cam swaps help damned near everything.
I spent 3 grand and well over 40 hours of my time on developing, installing and testing 2 sets of higher lift/longer duration cams.
They were installed and dynoed on my NA Tundra.
The more aggressive cam set started making more power than stock only after 5800 RPM.
The less aggressive set was causing the engine to vibrate slightly at idle when cold and the ECM would pick that up as a misfire and set codes.
It did not make more power than stock either.
The conclusion was that the cams in the Tundra are perfectly matched to the operating characteristics of the NA 5.7L engine.
Toyota does use higher lift/duration cams on other engines with the same valvetrain design, such as 2GR and 2UR in Lexus IS350 and IS-F models.
All of those have a redline of between 6500 and 7000+ RPM.
This tells me that unless we start spinning the NA 3UR to 6500+ RPM, the stock cams are just fine for it.
In the old days when engines did not have VVTi etc, the engineers had to compromise the camshaft design to suit the general operating specs of the vehicle.
Low lift/duration went into trucks and motorhomes for tons of low end grunt.
The street cars got the same engine (lets say a Chevy 350), but with cams designed for mid range power.
Then you could buy upgraded high lift/duration cams that would shift the powerband higher in the RPM range at the expense of low/mid range.
With the advances in VVTi technology, we can use one set of cams that can be advanced/retarded as needed to provide great power over the entire RPM range.
For that reason, I don't think there ever will be an updated camshaft for the NA Tundra.
I have not done any testing on a supercharged engine as of yet, there may be a big difference in results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
Wasn't there someone P&P'ing a set of heads a month or few ago too? I don't think I have seen any update on that, maybe it was in one of the fb Tundra groups, but I swore it was here.
I am building a set of ported and polished heads with 2UR-GSE titanium and stainless valves with upgraded valve springs and custom titanium retainers.
Talked to the machine shop on Wednesday, they should be ready in the next week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron713 View Post
Head and cam stuff isn't going to accomplish much (in comparison) when your intake is married to the blower. Basically, our valves aren't the restriction at the boost levels Tundras get from the SC, so keeping those valves open longer or further won't really help.
I am not in a position to argue with this since I have not flow bench tested the stock heads and have not tried different cams in a supercharged 3UR, but do you have any data to support that statement?
Attached Images
File Type: png Before and after cams on premium tune.png (208.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png Before and after cams on stock tune.png (206.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0679.jpg (190.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0671.jpg (190.6 KB, 38 views)

2010 RCSB ([email protected]) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, 325 LPH AM FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy

Last edited by ViktorG; 03-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViktorG For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (03-16-2019), RedBullistic (05-04-2019), riccnick (03-17-2019), RIjon (03-18-2019)
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,226 Times in 528 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Here is a video of the heads and camshafts

2010 RCSB ([email protected]) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, 325 LPH AM FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy

Last edited by ViktorG; 03-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViktorG For This Useful Post:
jbroas (03-21-2019), Powertechn2 (03-16-2019), riccnick (03-17-2019), RIjon (03-18-2019)
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorG View Post
I am not in a position to argue with this since I have not flow bench tested the stock heads and have not tried different cams in a supercharged 3UR, but do you have any data to support that statement?
In 2010, a guy put 3UR-FE heads on the bench and got this: https://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...umbers-3ur-fe/ In this thread, he also states that a stock 2JZ head (I am inferring NA) flows around 215cfm. The last record I remember for an unopened 2JZ (it had 80K miles on it) is 903WHP. We know they can support 1100hp crank with no changes to the valvetrain.

It is a fact that keeping valves open longer lets more air in, and cams control that -- but that's not generally the first issue going from some boost to MORE boost. At that point, flow rate isn't the bottleneck. It will EVENTUALLY matter at some radical HP level, but adding street-driven, pump gas levels of boost at real-world RPM serves to COMPLETELY erase most intake-side shortcomings. That's what I'm talking about - variations in the size, lift and duration of the intake cycle means very little until you have 2x or 3x atmospheric pressure being stuffed in the head. The more common issues from adding REAL boost come in with detonation and maintaining consistent AFR and ignition between cylinders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron713 For This Useful Post:
RIjon (03-18-2019), ViktorG (03-18-2019)
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilMed View Post
No 2018?
I emailed them, it' a no-go; his reply is below. I'd def be interested if I had a low-mileage 2014-17, that's for sure.

Subject: Re: 2007-2017 Tundra SC
As of now, it is limited to these years. The 2018 has different tuning which we will not be offering at this time.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Good luck mate, please do keep us updated. I haven't touched the valves and retainers but got the heads ported and polished. If your plan turns out to be successful I would deffo follow your route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorG View Post
Here is a video of the heads and camshafts

Flex Fuel 2016 | Edition 1794 CM | TRD CAI | Valve body Mod | LT ARH | | 20" Method Roost wheels

2012 rcsb | TRD SC | 18" 41 series Procomp wheels| Valve body Mod | JBA Long tube headers | Airaid CAI | 2/4" SOSperformance LK | Caltracs TB
The Following User Says Thank You to riskydude For This Useful Post:
ViktorG (03-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in