JBA Longtube Header Install... - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face JBA Longtube Header Install...

I know there are lots of installs and guys running this setup, so it is nothing earth shattering here; however, maybe some of this information will save you some time. I had cat issues with check engine lights and Toyota wants around $1,300 per new midpipes so its time to upgrade.

I ordered the ceramic coated long tube headers (PN: 6012SJT) and the JBA midpipes (PN: 6012SD-1) and ceramic coated the midpipes with header paint.

There is an issue here…these are the wrong midpipes! The correct part number is 6012SD

I had no idea these were not the ones I needed when I started the install. But here is a bunch of tools you will need:

This o-ring trick works great to keep the socket firm and in place to get to the header nuts. Get a cheap o-ring kit from Harbor Freight and give this a try. So simple but so helpful!

This grinding bit was necessary given the poor quality control from the ceramic coating making it impossible to get over the OEM header studs. I had to grind out all the holes and remove some burrs to make a flush fit. I also used a M18x1.5 tap to clean the sensor threads.

I also had to get a 12mm box wrench and put a small bend and grind the open section to get between the truck and the air tube runners. Take your time…it won’t go fast…and don’t expect your truck for a couple days. If you get it done sooner, great…if not, no loss.

Then proceed to follow Dirtydeeds instructions and JBA instructions to remove OEM parts and install the new gear…
Support Keith at DirtyDeedsIndustries.com....instructions here.
JBA Header Install Instructions - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES

I had to order 3 inch gaskets for the midpipe to catback. And I ordered new OEM header gaskets and used copper spray. Here is the pile of OEM stuff…

The catback exhaust system needed cut off the truck. This was the Zoomers exhaust that was supposed to outlast the truck…but it is a rusty mess. The exhaust tip rusted off the truck and I tried to reach out to Zoomers multiple times with phone calls and emails. They refused to help. I liked the sound but this was poorly made. I had to get my OEM system out of storage and reinstall this kit.

Once you finesse the headers in place and bolt them down, its time for the midpipes. Here is the issue…

I had to cut the slip-fit section, the flange section, and a small bend section and weld them all together. This was a long process but I ended up with a slip-fit that currently leaks a bit and I will need to remove the entire midpipe and weld the clamped section together so it is one solid piece on that side to mimic the driverside midpipe that I should have purchased.

When I started the truck and let it heat-cycle, there were some leaks that surfaced. I drove it for a short distance, and then tightened the header bolts again. A few needed snugged up a bit. I then drove the truck on a long trip and again, checked the header bolts. They were good and the only small leak was from the slip-fit that I need to weld.

The URD simulators are working, the check engine lights have not returned, and the truck is running well. Overall, it has been a lot more work than anticipated but manageable. It’s nice once they are installed. I may leave the OEM exhaust and finally install the TRD supercharger that is sitting on the shelf for too long. Then perhaps it will be time to think about the exhaust.

Last edited by CLToy; 10-22-2017 at 12:19 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CLToy For This Useful Post:
Civiceg94 (10-03-2018), shotgun (10-22-2017), sundance (09-19-2018), TundraStruk (10-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
So the only issue i am running into with my JBA header install is the following.

The Driver side header mounted up but the secondary air tubing is so close to the stud that i can get it on but i can not tighten it down. did you have this issue?

2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax - 6" Rough Country Lift - 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers- A Couple fancy doodads inside. (Sold)
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max - 3" Lift 20" Fuel with BF Goodwrenchs - Linex - N-Fab Front LED light bar with PIAA LEDs - TRD Supercharger - Lead Foot -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Great write up, thanks for sharing!

Performance/sound impressions?

Debating JBA headers + full race exhaust for my '17 Tundra...but struggling with the decision to fork over the ~3.5K.

Still, I want more sound plus ~50hp/80tq gain is nothing to sneeze at either.

2017 Tundra TRD DC SR5 4x4 5.7L Off-Road Inferno Red
FN BFD wheels 18x9 +12
305/65 BFG KO2 tires

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
Great write up, thanks for sharing!

Performance/sound impressions?

Debating JBA headers + full race exhaust for my '17 Tundra...but struggling with the decision to fork over the ~3.5K.

Still, I want more sound plus ~50hp/80tq gain is nothing to sneeze at either.
I did the MBRP: S5314P single for $300. Love it. Had it on for 2 years now with no issues.

I would like to gain some more horses.....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 AM

Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,074 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
i had the jba midpipes on a 2008 s/c tundra and liked it with the stock exhaust.
went with jba headers on a s/c 2015 with expensive bamuffler custom catted midpipes and hated it with the trd dual system.loud,vibrated through the floor boards,exhaust leaks and total mis-alignement of pipes.absolute nightmare.
had the bam pipes modded by local guy so they would bolt up correctly and installed an x muffler and been happy since.
for the $$,the jba midpipes are terrific!
makes me wish i had gone that route instead of drinking the bam coolaid!lesson learned!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
So my experience with the JBA Long tubes is absolutely horrible. to start off ill give you a list of what was wrong with them.

Welds were terrible.
Secondary air piping was off by about 1.75 in.
The Secondary air piping impeded the tightening of 3 bolts due to it being to close to the exhaust studs.
The customer service started off okay but after explaining the issues it turned into being non-existent.

so after pulling them back out and luckily have family with a jig system i was able to clean up all the welds and re-weld the Secondary air piping to allow for proper install.

overall i will not be buying JBA again. only reason why i stayed with this is because the rest of my exhaust was already mapped out for the long tube install.

2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax - 6" Rough Country Lift - 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers- A Couple fancy doodads inside. (Sold)
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max - 3" Lift 20" Fuel with BF Goodwrenchs - Linex - N-Fab Front LED light bar with PIAA LEDs - TRD Supercharger - Lead Foot -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobrain06 View Post
So my experience with the JBA Long tubes is absolutely horrible. to start off ill give you a list of what was wrong with them.

Welds were terrible.
Secondary air piping was off by about 1.75 in.
The Secondary air piping impeded the tightening of 3 bolts due to it being to close to the exhaust studs.
The customer service started off okay but after explaining the issues it turned into being non-existent.

so after pulling them back out and luckily have family with a jig system i was able to clean up all the welds and re-weld the Secondary air piping to allow for proper install.

overall i will not be buying JBA again. only reason why i stayed with this is because the rest of my exhaust was already mapped out for the long tube install.
Thanks for your honesty. I was contemplating adding JBA long tubes, but now I will spend my $$ elsewhere.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I installed JBA's with @dirtydeeds full race exhaust. To be completely fair, I don't think I had any issues with anything that came from Dirty Deeds. Most (if any) of my fitment issues (minimal at best) came from the headers themselves. The welds and ceramic coating made it difficult to tighten down a couple of the header nuts, and the air tube on the passenger side was tricky to get lined up. And the v-band flange wasn't perfect on the header collector and it didn't line up perfect with Keith's kit.

Here's my input when I installed it: https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/9362249-post45.html

As far as performance, I drove it well over 1000 miles within a couple of days of installing it. It ran great and I really think the sound from the BAM kit is perfect. It's quiet on the highway, but it'll sure get your attention when you get on the skinny pedal. Any time I ever had a question about the exhaust, Keith was always great about talking to me or giving me a call back when he was on the road.

Is the race kit pricey, sure...but then again, we all bought Tundra's and Keith has an edge on a market and he's put a lot of time in to R&D on his systems. I would venture to guess that there are more happy customers with BAM exhaust (me and two Tundra's later with his kits) than unhappy. When you compare all of the other aftermarket options for Chevy, Ford, etc, there are more options equating to different pricing. And... I whole heartedly believe Keith stands by his product.

2017 CrewMax - Grey Metallic - JBA Long tube headers paired with @dirtydeed 3" race exhaust, Volant CAI, soon to be..DAP remote tune
(SOLD) 2013 DC - ICON Stage 2, Total Chaos UCA, BAM 8" Kit with cutouts, window visors, bug deflector, pasti dipped badges, plasti dipped rear bumper, color matched front grille, SDHQ Pre-runner winch mount front bumper, Smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic winch rope, Volant CAI, BullyDog GT Tuner, RIGID LED Fog Lights, VisionX A-Pillar driving lights, interior LED's, coverking seat covers, 35x12.5x17 BFGoodrich AT KO2's on 17x8.5" Method Double Standards

Last edited by ktmracer01; 11-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanked 10,545 Times in 4,880 Posts
Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter93 View Post
Thanks for your honesty. I was contemplating adding JBA long tubes, but now I will spend my $$ elsewhere.
Please give me a call before making your mind up that way. I helped JBA develop and release these headers to the public lib before any other manufacturer would consider making something like this for our trucks.

Iíve built literally thousands of exhaust systrms for our trucks. And have literally thousands of happy customers. Search this forum for BAmufflers.

I wouldnít recommend anything that I wouldnít run on my own truck.

That said, sometimes headers arenít even the right solution for your goals. Itís my personal mission to help make sure you get the absolutely perfect set up for your use of the truck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Please give me a call before making your mind up that way. I helped JBA develop and release these headers to the public lib before any other manufacturer would consider making something like this for our trucks.

Iíve built literally thousands of exhaust systrms for our trucks. And have literally thousands of happy customers. Search this forum for BAmufflers.

I wouldnít recommend anything that I wouldnít run on my own truck.

That said, sometimes headers arenít even the right solution for your goals. Itís my personal mission to help make sure you get the absolutely perfect set up for your use of the truck.
I'm looking for more MPG and if that includes more HP that's great too. I want a bolt on system that keeps my emissions street legal with my TRD dual exhaust. If I had to do it all over again, I'd purchase your most quiet BAM exhaust with helmholtz tubes and just have the TRD exhaust tips welded on for appearance. Money has been spent before I did this additional research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in