I know there are lots of installs and guys running this setup, so it is nothing earth shattering here; however, maybe some of this information will save you some time. I had cat issues with check engine lights and Toyota wants around $1,300 per new midpipes so its time to upgrade.
I ordered the ceramic coated long tube headers (PN: 6012SJT) and the JBA midpipes (PN: 6012SD-1) and ceramic coated the midpipes with header paint.
There is an issue here…these are the wrong midpipes! The correct part number is 6012SD
I had no idea these were not the ones I needed when I started the install. But here is a bunch of tools you will need:
This o-ring trick works great to keep the socket firm and in place to get to the header nuts. Get a cheap o-ring kit from Harbor Freight and give this a try. So simple but so helpful!
This grinding bit was necessary given the poor quality control from the ceramic coating making it impossible to get over the OEM header studs. I had to grind out all the holes and remove some burrs to make a flush fit. I also used a M18x1.5 tap to clean the sensor threads.
I also had to get a 12mm box wrench and put a small bend and grind the open section to get between the truck and the air tube runners. Take your time…it won’t go fast…and don’t expect your truck for a couple days. If you get it done sooner, great…if not, no loss.
Then proceed to follow Dirtydeeds instructions and JBA instructions to remove OEM parts and install the new gear…
Support Keith at DirtyDeedsIndustries.com....instructions here.
JBA Header Install Instructions - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES
I had to order 3 inch gaskets for the midpipe to catback. And I ordered new OEM header gaskets and used copper spray. Here is the pile of OEM stuff…
The catback exhaust system needed cut off the truck. This was the Zoomers exhaust that was supposed to outlast the truck…but it is a rusty mess. The exhaust tip rusted off the truck and I tried to reach out to Zoomers multiple times with phone calls and emails. They refused to help. I liked the sound but this was poorly made. I had to get my OEM system out of storage and reinstall this kit.
Once you finesse the headers in place and bolt them down, its time for the midpipes. Here is the issue…
I had to cut the slip-fit section, the flange section, and a small bend section and weld them all together. This was a long process but I ended up with a slip-fit that currently leaks a bit and I will need to remove the entire midpipe and weld the clamped section together so it is one solid piece on that side to mimic the driverside midpipe that I should have purchased.
When I started the truck and let it heat-cycle, there were some leaks that surfaced. I drove it for a short distance, and then tightened the header bolts again. A few needed snugged up a bit. I then drove the truck on a long trip and again, checked the header bolts. They were good and the only small leak was from the slip-fit that I need to weld.
The URD simulators are working, the check engine lights have not returned, and the truck is running well. Overall, it has been a lot more work than anticipated but manageable. It’s nice once they are installed. I may leave the OEM exhaust and finally install the TRD supercharger that is sitting on the shelf for too long. Then perhaps it will be time to think about the exhaust.