User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Twin Turbos

Does anyone know if anybody found a way to install twin turbos on a tundra.
The Following User Says Thank You to toxic11 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (08-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 49,418 Times in 22,737 Posts
Mentioned: 860 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7576 Post(s)
I recall seeing a twin STS setup a few years ago.

#blackriflesmatter #whitelivesmatter #MAGA
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesco For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I've seen 2, look up *****Oboost.

They are fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuckfou For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I wish there was an Armageddon twin for out trucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to TUNDRAtdi For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like Marshall motorsports built one that was tuned by Dynosty.

toyota tundra ? Dynosty

Problem remains the ECU and limitations of the stock bottom end. The cost of the TT setup, Stand alone ecu, and built bottom are pretty staggering

I takes a built motor and a stand alone to find the limits of the production based magnuson/ trd unit. I am still not sure the limit of that setup have ever been identified.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackRCSB For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thats crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Maltrix For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,813 Times in 1,668 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
@ BRX
(Not sure how to tag on this forum)
He is currently building a Twin Turbo set up...
The Following User Says Thank You to jbroas For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (08-24-2016)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TUNDRAtdi For This Useful Post:
jbroas (08-24-2016), Mr. Creosote (08-24-2016)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 AM
BRX
Premium Member

Thanked 2,714 Times in 1,192 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
It has been done like @BlackRCSB said. Not cheap at all. Chris (aka Marshall Motorsports) had one installed on his truck and blew the motor almost immediately, it's the one in the YouTube video.

He went down the wrong path unfortunately. Was over his head and started lying and ripping off people including me when I had him rebuild my engine. He had another truck waiting to be rebuilt with a turbo. After waisting both our time and money we moved our trucks to Dynosty. They fabricated the twin turbo kit for him but when they finally finished and started his built motor (built by Chris) it was making all kinds of noises so he wanted to get rid of the truck.

I bought his twin turbo kit and it's currently waiting on shelf until my engine is done being assembled and installed. Here are pics for when it was installed on his truck.

Last picture is of my custom intake manifold. Just FYI, the stock plastic manifold has small valves on the inside that restrict flow, specially when the boost gets up there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'07 2WD RCSB 5.7L Tundra
TRD SC, Haltech EMS, ASP All Pulleys, Spoolin Shift Kit, Walbro 485 FP, ID1000cc Injectors, AIRAID CAI, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Ranger E-Fan
JBA Long Tube Headers, True-Dual 3" BAMufflers & Mid-pipes
TRD Sway Bar, Belltech 442SP, Caltracs Drag Profile Traction Bars
TRD Forged 22" W/ Hankook Ventus ST RH06, Pro Comp 16" W/ M&H Cheater Slicks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
jbroas (08-24-2016), Manoah (08-24-2016), Mr. Creosote (08-25-2016), Pierced_Hammer (08-24-2016), shotgun (08-24-2016), that1seven (08-24-2016)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Twins kind of make sense because it is a V8, but personally I would consider a single. Twins are expensive, tend to produce a lot of heat, require a lof of plumbing, and need to be mounted down and far away from the engine, which works, but a well positioned single might work well too if you could find room.

Fully built block with forged internals required for maximum power and reliability for sure. I hate to say it (as a tundra and turbo car owner and lover) because I would love to boost a 3URFE myself, but at that amount of money you may as well just "settle" for a supercharger or get a factory turbo diesel truck. Either one could likely outperform the turbo 3URFE more reliably (to a point) for way less money. Gotta keep the Tundra chassis? I'd rather swap a turbodiesel engine in. I get it - for proof of concept and it would be badass but WHP/TQ to Dollars is just makes more sense than everything it takes to build the block, turbocharge, fuel, and tune the 3URFE.

'07 5.7 4x4 Double Cab Limited Pyrite Mica/Rock Red: King Factory 2.5 shocks, Light Racing UCAs, Coachbuilder +2 shackles, body mount chop, Auburn LSD, 5x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 18x9" +12 FN Wheels BFD, 3, Demello front bumper, Comeup Seal 12.5RS winch, Auxbeam LEDs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hokiruu For This Useful Post:
Jon-E5_IsAlive (08-25-2016), Mr. Creosote (08-25-2016)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 AM

On a barely related issue, although many Tundra owners don't like the Flex Fuel trucks, it is a sad ironic tragedy that it is so frowned upon and difficult to supercharge the FF Tundras. E85 is THE IDEAL fuel for boosted engines, and the fact that Tundras already come this way puts us SO CLOSE to having the absolutely perfect boosted truck platform (besides turbo diesels obviously) it is actually painful to me. If anyone found a good way around this, it would change the game entirely. 3URFE + Bolt-on supercharger + E85 would probably be capable of 750+whp alone. And it would be cheaper to fuel than 91octane with 500whp.

'07 5.7 4x4 Double Cab Limited Pyrite Mica/Rock Red: King Factory 2.5 shocks, Light Racing UCAs, Coachbuilder +2 shackles, body mount chop, Auburn LSD, 5x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 18x9" +12 FN Wheels BFD, 3, Demello front bumper, Comeup Seal 12.5RS winch, Auxbeam LEDs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hokiruu For This Useful Post:
boostedtundra (08-25-2016), Mr. Creosote (08-25-2016)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
On a barely related issue, although many Tundra owners don't like the Flex Fuel trucks, it is a sad ironic tragedy that it is so frowned upon and difficult to supercharge the FF Tundras. E85 is THE IDEAL fuel for boosted engines, and the fact that Tundras already come this way puts us SO CLOSE to having the absolutely perfect boosted truck platform (besides turbo diesels obviously) it is actually painful to me. If anyone found a good way around this, it would change the game entirely. 3URFE + Bolt-on supercharger + E85 would probably be capable of 750+whp alone. And it would be cheaper to fuel than 91octane with 500whp.

This sounds good in theory but the engine itself can not handle that amount of power without upgrading the rods and pistons at a minimum. At this time the aftermarket and engine builders do not make this an affordable option like an LS or similar. Regardless of the selected fuel or the choice of sc or turbo the engine and ecu can not support 750whp
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM
BRX
Premium Member

Thanked 2,714 Times in 1,192 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Speaking of flex fuel, I recently discovered that performance shops over here in the UAE are importing VP racing's C85 (E85 on steroids in short).

My initial plan was 800 WHP with pump gas and 1000 WHP with race fuel (Q16). However, I was just done emailing Hal at Dynosty about switching to Ethanol instead of race fuel and he said that E85 makes as much power as Q16. Only difference is that I'm gonna need bigger injectors and a flex fuel sensor.

Race fuel also wears out sensors and parts faster and is almost 3.5 times the price of C85 over here. Another plus is that I won't have to run 2 different maps for each fuel or empty the tank completely each time I want to increase power.

I'm going with 1300 ID injectors now instead of 1000 ID and it should be able to reach +1000 HP with ethanol no problem. Hopefully the transmission/drivetrain doesn't eat up a lot of the power it makes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'07 2WD RCSB 5.7L Tundra
TRD SC, Haltech EMS, ASP All Pulleys, Spoolin Shift Kit, Walbro 485 FP, ID1000cc Injectors, AIRAID CAI, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Ranger E-Fan
JBA Long Tube Headers, True-Dual 3" BAMufflers & Mid-pipes
TRD Sway Bar, Belltech 442SP, Caltracs Drag Profile Traction Bars
TRD Forged 22" W/ Hankook Ventus ST RH06, Pro Comp 16" W/ M&H Cheater Slicks

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post

This sounds good in theory but the engine itself can not handle that amount of power without upgrading the rods and pistons at a minimum. At this time the aftermarket and engine builders do not make this an affordable option like an LS or similar. Regardless of the selected fuel or the choice of sc or turbo the engine and ecu can not support 750whp
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRCSB View Post
Yes, you are correct. I was not clear enough. I know 750WHP would require a built block and better tuning option than the factory ECU. I didn't specifically mention this because it is pretty much always the case any time you almost double the factory power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in