Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

6" or 8" BAMuffler???

33K views 82 replies 38 participants last post by  RHChan84 
#1 ·
Hey guys, have been through countless threads on the subject and still having trouble deciding which BAMuffler setup to go with. (Don't wanna bug Keith TOO much)

I don't wanna get the 8" and wish I had gone louder, but I don't want to get the 6" and it annoy my girl / neighbors.

Is the 6" overly aggressive like a flowmaster or is it just a nice mean sound that won't wake the neighborhood?

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Anyone have any videos of the sound on a custom 7" system?

#2 ·
I went 8" and am very happy. I didn't want to annoy the wife and neighbors either.

The 8" has a nice rumble upon starting and under acceleration it can get fairly aggressive. It rumbles the entire parking garage at work. But at 55-70 cruising on the highway it is dead silent....but if you want to hear it? Mash the pedal and it wakes right back up. I have no regrets with the 8" but my main goal was to add a nice V8 rumble and the 8" delivered that and actually a little more that I was expecting.

I honestly wouldn't mess with custom ordering a 7" unless you're that worried. It will probably cost you more and take longer to get. I think Keith mentioned that his standard systems (6" and 8") are readily available to ship. I got mine in like 3 days from ordering. Hope this helps and hopefully someone with a 6" will chime in to help.

#4 · (Edited)
First off, Keith doesn't mind talking to us on the phone.
He helped me a lot with my 6112/5100 shocks, and I didn't even buy them from him.
Although I did buy my "7" inch BA Muffler system from him.

A tad loud for this old man, but an 8 inch would have been too quiet.
I feel a 6 inch would have been too loud.
7 inch is perfect, I love it....:D

I can keep it quiet around town, but I can light it up as well.
Quiet on the highway unless I step on it..
Make sure you install the Helmholtz resonator.

#5 ·
I wish the hemholz was integrated into the system. I love the BAM sound and performance. It was perfect on my 2008 4.7 without the hemholz thingy. I don't like the idea of having to cut a hole in the tailpipe section to reduce drone. To me that makes a bolt on system not a real bolt on system. I am debating the 8" or the TRD rep when I get the funds saved up.

#6 ·
I have been running the 6" system on a 2012 for about six months. Most of my driving is stop light to stop light FUN when working. Had a chance to go from Houston to north Texas a few weekends ago. When driving 70 to 80 MPH its just as tame as the stock system. I was surprised how quite it was. As mentioned above,,,you can can get a lot of attention if and when you want it.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these systems, but I don't wanna 2nd guess myself afterwards!

I have listened to a bunch of the 8" ones and I would like something with just a little more pep when you get on it. Have it narrowed down to the 6" and the 7" (I think).

Videos of a 7" system would be awesome! I have watched countless 6" and 8" videos and it's really hard to tell how good it sounds when your not there in person.

#13 ·
Problem with some videos is this, it is just the sound in neutral (or park) reving the engine.
That actually does nothing for decent sound comparison IMHO.

My truck sounds best in gear accelerating or decelerating.
I'll shift it into manual and drop a gear or two sometimes to slow down instead of using the foot brake.
That comes from downshifting 10 gears at work.
Probably why I got 135K miles on the rear brake shoes of my 05 DC.

My favorite sound is going under a bridge or overpass and tapping that pedal.
Just a tap, not even flooring it.
Sounds awesome and makes me happy I didn't get an 8 inch.

There are a few videos on YouTube of guys and girls driving Tundras with BA mufflers.
These are the ones to look for or listen to.

I would make one but I don't have time or anyone to help me do it.
If I had the means to make a drive by video, I would..

I first bought a Magnaflow for my 14 DC.
Sounded great around town, but had the highway drone from hell.

My 7 inch BA has a tad of drone @17.5K rpm (about 60MPH), not very noticeable.
My wife has never said my truck is too loud, and believe me she would tell me if she felt it was.

#14 ·
I went through the same thing. Listened to countless videos and couldn't decide between a 6 and an 8. Finally said screw it and ordered the 6 and I couldn't be happier. It has a growl on start up but cruising its pretty quiet. It only gets loud when you drive aggressively or get over 2800 rpms.

#16 · (Edited)
Here is a video of my 2015 TRD with 7 inch SS BAM. sorry for the bad editing, not a pro.

Reving and acceleration Tried to roll down window but had too much wind.

#18 ·
6" Along with hundreds of us, I went through the same dilemma. Almost did the 7, but then said to myself, you have a badass truck, get a badass exhaust and stop being a pu$$%.
Park in my garage every night and yes, will wake up your family when you start it up in the morning. But under normal driving will not disturb a quiet neighborhood and will turn heads when you want them to turn.

Can honestly say, between the look, comfort and power of the TTCM and adding the 6", this is the first vehicle I've had that makes me want to just get up and go for long drives just randomly because, well just because, and I've had a LOT of vehicles before this.

Step up, get a 6", you will smile every day.

#20 ·
Seems like pretty much everyone loves the system that they end up with. I'm thinking the 7" will be a good starting ground for me. If I feel like it's not enough or that it's too loud I'll just suck it up and have Keith swap it out. Either way I'll end up with a badass system.

Now to decide on stainless or aluminized...They don't salt the roads here in FL, but I do back the boat up quite often during the summer and do some saltwater fishing. I tend to wash everything down pretty good afterwards though. Think fishing every other weekend when it's warm would justify the extra $200 for the stainless? The aluminized shouldn't rust out any faster than my other stock exhaust components should it?

#26 ·
Now to decide on stainless or aluminized...They don't salt the roads here in FL, but I do back the boat up quite often during the summer and do some saltwater fishing. I tend to wash everything down pretty good afterwards though. Think fishing every other weekend when it's warm would justify the extra $200 for the stainless? The aluminized shouldn't rust out any faster than my other stock exhaust components should it?
Talk to Keith about that when you call him. I was all set to get the stainless one because I figured it was more money and had to be better right? Well Keith explained to me that unless they salt the streets (and in central Texas they dont) and with my use that there was no need at all to spend the extra cash. So let him know your situation and he will steer you in the right direction.

#23 ·
Have 8, thinking of going to 6 and *Possibly* one of the budget dumps. Just for frame of reference. Just wanted to add, the 7" i believe is sorta a custom build. (Not on website, gotta ask him about doing one)

8 is what I'd call civilized, even at it's loudest it's not rowdy but better than stock. Startups sound good. Found I just wanted to make louder/more rumble without having to get on it as hard.

#31 ·
I ran the 6" pre-axle dump for about 2 years and just swapped it out with Keith for an 8". I loved the 6" but with a canopy and a baby on the way, the truck got to be a bit loud on the highways. I'm also looking forward to a little bit deeper rumble with the 8" as well. I will be rerouting the 8" out the back. I will use part of a stock tailpipe but will cut it after it drops behind the axle. Either way you can't go wrong man. Keith is awesome and has truly made some great products for our trucks and his customer service is second to none.

For comparison, I've also run flowmaster 50's on my truck and the drone and loss of low end torque was obnoxious. The 6" had a much more refined growl, kept my low end and sounded great at WOT.

#32 ·
So I just threw the 8" on and ran the truck. The tone is very noticeable compared to the 6". The note has deepened. The 8" has plenty of noise when getting on it but definitely quiets down while just cruising. I'm very happy with the swap.

#35 ·
I feel like the 7" is just splitting hairs. The 8" seems to be as loud as the 6" at wot and hard acceleration but it beats the 6" during cruising and quiets down where the 6 may still be loud. Can't go wrong with either

#36 ·
I have been reading threads, listening to sound clips etc. Want to get more of a V8 sound out of the 5.7, would like to hear some of a burble even under light throttle but not an annoying crackel sound. Even cruising would like a deep mellow sound, not drone. I think the standard exhaust has no taste unless you get on it. Higher pitch with no quality when accelerating and while cruising a dull sound.

I think the best sounding stock exhaust belongs to the Ford F150 5.0. That deep mellow V8 sounds good and when you get on it sounds strong without being obnoxious. They have had that sound covered for years, buddy had a 1989 Mustang with the 5.0-stick, loved that sound. Knew it was a 5.0 with my eyes closed.

I listened to the great clip the one member posted on the 7 inch, sounds like a good compromise. This week I got to ride in a new Platinum Tundra with the TRD exhaust, sounds good but that wamp wamp helicopter sound around 45-50 is annoying. That is a deal breaker for me.

#41 ·
OH I feel sorry for you!

Oh I feel sorry for you. You poor thing! Laying on the ground putting on you sway bar and exhaust system. It breaks my heart to see a grown man work so hard.
I bet you'll be smiling the whole time.

You may want to do it at a friends house so the nag machine doesn't catch wind of what you are doing and how much money you spent!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.