Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TRD Duel Exhaust is AWESOME!

21K views 78 replies 34 participants last post by  drlam184 
#1 ·
The TRD Dual exhaust isn't an option that I particularly cared about but the truck they found for me had it added. I must say that it sounds absolutely perfect. I'm not a huge fan of trucks that sound like Harleys but this has just enough of that low roar to makes it sound like it should. If any of you are thinking about adding it, don't hesitate.

#5 ·
Total fun.
But cuts gas mileage. Can't resist romping down on it from time to time! :)

#7 ·
I've had mine for four years now and it still gives me smile on my face every time I drive.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#9 ·
TRD vs. BAMuffler

So I am looking to change out my stock muffler and found quite a few posting on the BAMuffler for Dirty Deeds and not much on the TRD package. The TRD package is more expensive than the BAMuffler but I honestly would rather go TRD if it stacks up. I like the looks of the TRD exhaust tips on both sides so its a difficult choice but probably will go TRD after reading these posting.

#11 ·
So I am looking to change out my stock muffler and found quite a few posting on the BAMuffler for Dirty Deeds and not much on the TRD package. The TRD package is more expensive than the BAMuffler but I honestly would rather go TRD if it stacks up. I like the looks of the TRD exhaust tips on both sides so its a difficult choice but probably will go TRD after reading these posting.
I would give Keith a call. He makes a system that uses the TRD Dual tailpipes.

#19 ·
What about the drone at freeway cruising speed? I've read it's bad with the TRD but not at all with certain BA setups. Do you have the dreaded drone with your TRD muffler?

#16 · (Edited)
I agree that the TRD kit is the perfect balance between a clear cut growl when it's commanded but quiet enough to not be obnoxious on a long road trip or when in stop and go traffic. As far as MPG's, I actually think I do a bit better than stock if I stay out of the pedal. I am usually not able to do that, but i can still pull 20 MPG's doing 77 on the freeway. Also, even thought the TRD kit only boasts very modest gains in power on paper, I think it improves mid range torque dramatically. from 2500-5500 RPM's my truck comes to life for real. My '11 was fast too, but not this fast

#21 ·
#18 ·
I've heard the TRD duals and it does sound really nice. Personally, I like the sound of my 6" BA more but to each their own(I say that tight? Lol). The TRD isn't as expensive as I originally thought, about $1000 all said and done right? Not bad. Call Kieth regardless, always good to thoroughly research before buying.

#28 ·
No drone with stock tires. No drone with 295/70/18 Trail Grappler either.

#40 ·
You could find a local Cerakote applicator and have them use the 1800* high temp coating to stop the rusting. Black, silver, several other colors if you just have to..... Just a thought. If you were on the Gulf Coast, say near Mobile AL, I'd say give us a call and let us take care of that. ;)

Eliot

#34 ·
After a michigan winter (we like salt up here) I have some minor surface rust on the pipes. Barely any on the tips. I was expecting some rust. It's just sheet metal. If it rusts too quickly, I get Toyota to make it right. I would consider trying a BA system but I love the TRD tailpipes so I'd use those. I would have to hear one in persone. I really don't want my Tundra to sound like a dodge ram with glass packs. The TRD system is usually subtle but when I wanna blow by someone, it comes alive.

#41 ·
I have tried pretty hard to be light on the acceleration and dropped 1600 feet in 200 miles, all on interstate, average 70. 17mpg was it.

Bought a Honda Civic Si a couple weeks later.

#47 ·
Do you have a tonneau cover? The tonneau cover created instant 7-10% gain in MPG. Because on drops as steep as yours, i would be up into 22-23 MPG. There's a 5 mile stretch of downhill on the way to my Mom's. I literally get 23 MPG's for the short stretch. Unless, as one gentlemen tactfully pointed, my computer could be off.

And I see you Civic is not listed in your signature. I don't blame you. Nice people don't buy compact cars :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.