Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra Performance Modifications, what works, what doesn't....and why

216K views 275 replies 102 participants last post by  Youngfrankenstein 
#1 · (Edited)
Since http://www.dirtydeedsindustries.comspecializes in making maximum power on a Toyota tundra. I thought it would be helpful for everyone if I started this thread:)

I briefly looked in the performance section on this forum and have come to the conclusion that we need a log of credible information as to what works and what doesn't for the newbies. As many of you know, I have tested a ton of performance modifications, and I have a lot of friends whom have done the same. I will attempt to break up each section alphabetically just to keep the info as organized as possible. I'm going to edit and grow this first post with new info as the mod is tested. I will also point out where I received the feedback on the test, or if it was my own feedback. I welcome your questions/comments. I also welcome your donations, meaning if you have a part or system that you want tested, feel free to send it to me and I'll test it in the way that you request if at all possible:

All track testing is done at the same track (unless otherwise specified) with similar conditions since Qualcomm stadium night time temps don't vary enough to matter. All dyno tests were performed on the same dyno operated by the same guy (unless otherwise specified), and all stock trucks came in with very close to the same hp as the others (unless otherwise specified). Very consistent.

Cold Air Intakes No first hand testing has been done. I have worked closely with a friend (Jbroas) testing a custom 4" cold air intake. This testing realized a gain at the track, no dyno testing done. I will try to get specifics from JBroas and post here. If anyone wants a cold air intake tested feel free to send one. From the feedback received by Jbroas and his testing at the track I tend to stay away from cold air intakes as they try to fool the ecu into leaning out the afr and pulling less timing. Either way the gains are very limited. All in theory and I'd love to do more testing. Testing was done with various combinations on a crewmax 2wd at Qualcomm stadium.

Electric Fan We make a bolt on electric fan for the Tundra's. The results are better throttle response, better low end torque. More fun to drive. It's definitely noticeable. No dyno testing has been done, but other members have dyno tested electric fans and have seen small gains. Definitely a mod worth doing!!

Exhaust I will not report findings on competitor systems as I would seem biased to some people in doing so, I don't feel that it would be professional. All tests were done with stock air box, and stock filter that is far from being dirty enough to necessitate changing(unless otherwise specified). All other aspects of the trucks have been tested bone stock unless otherwise specified.

Bone stock hp tends to be around 316-319 hp on this dyno. Bone stock 1/8mile times tend to be 10 sec flat at Qualcomm stadium.This is with a crewmax 4X4 5.7L raced in 4H (unless otherwise specified).

Editing in this combination on 11/29/13:
Stock manifolds, true dual BAmufflers with H pipe, custom 4" cold air intake, electric fan, 2wd 07 crewmax running drag radials. We removed the rear cats and saw absolutely no gains in e/t. Sound however, was increased. In this case that was not a good thing as the owner of this truck wanted the quietest sound we could achieve, he was willing to put up with a little more sound if there was power to be had in doing so. None was realized.

Here is some of the combinations that I have tried:
Stock manifolds/cats. This combination is very limited. It is difficult to make power by changing up the parts after the stock manifolds/cats. Matter of fact, if you change too much stuff you will actually start to lose since the stock system is so 'engineered' to work as a whole. The stock manifolds/cats work best with the stock tailpipe. The stock muffler is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system and replacing it for a free flowing muffler or straight pipes is good for about 3-10 hp depending on the day and temps, etc. This system knocks 1/10th off our 1/8 mile time.

OBX Headers, no cats, BAmuffler true dual 2.5" with X pipe and TRD tailpipes. This combo is good for 41HP over stock. Driveability is substantially enhanced. You don't ask yourself if you feel the power....."well I think I feel more power", you tell all your friends that your truck is way faster!! This system took the truck from 10 sec. flat to 9.7 seconds. I did not test afr with this combo, but am sure that it was fine based on testing done with more aggressive systems.

JBA headers, no cats, BAmuffler true dual 3" with X pipe and BAmufflers custom tailpipes exiting behind each rear tire at a 45* angle and slash cut. The gains realized from the OBX headers and the same BAmuffler system in 2.5" are realized once again, and then some!! The combo is good for 49HP over stock!! 89LB TQ over stock!! It makes the truck run a very consistent 9.3 seconds in the 1/8 mile!! This system brings the afr to 12.5/1 at full throttle, literally perfect;)

Nitrous All testing has been done with JBA long tube headers, BAmufflers true dual 3" with X pipe, and BAmufflers custom tailpipes exiting behind each rear tire at a 45* angle and slash cut. All testing was done with a Nitrous express mainline wet kit, with the fuel side of the system deleted making the system a dry system using a 50hp jet. I will post pics asap. All you have to do is push the nozzle thru the stock air filter, zip tie it to the plastic ribs in the filter, and seal it using a glue gun. You'll want to point the nozzle away from the mass air meter. Doing so takes afr from 12.5/1 at full throttle down to 11.5/1 at full throttle. I have not tested it on the dyno and probably never will. But, extensive testing has been done at the track. The truck consistently ran 9.3 with the JBA/BA exhaust, the dry nitrous brings that very truck down to a consistent 9.1!!

Supercharger Edited an update to 'Supercharger' 3/29/14
Just to sumarize, Bone stock HP comes in around 319. Installing long tube headers bumps HP to 368. Installing a Supercharger bumps HP to 445. Downloading the BullyDog tune on top of the supercharger causes HP to jump to 534!! All HP figures are the same dyno, same dyno operator. And generally the same conditions since Escondido is usually pretty temperate throughout the year. Notice the driveline loss between bone stock and Supercharged. These engines, bone stock, are rated by Toyota at 381 HP to the crank, our test truck lays down 319 to the wheels. And supercharged Toyota rates em at 504 HP to the crank, our test truck puts out 445 to the rear wheels. In both stock naturally/aspirated, and stock/ supercharged there is a loss of about 60 HP thru the driveline.

So far I've only dyno tested this modificaiton, I will hopefully have e/t's to report on the supercharger by itself and with the BullyDog 93 tune!!!

Tuners I've tested Hypertech and Bully Dog. I've tested various configurations. From bone stock to full race exhaust, and will be testing with a supercharger. Stay tuned.

Hypertech tested on a bone stock 07-09 with touchy throttle is transformed into a normal/performance throttle instead of the ultra sensitive stock throttle. Throttle response, low end, mid range, better. Feels more performance oriented and decisive. Transmission doesn't 'shift around' as much. It literally re-tunes the truck to drive nicer. On the dyno a stock Tundra shows an extra 7hp!! While this figure is somewhat optimistic, there is no loss during any of our testing. Given this fact and the better driveability, ,the Hypertech is a great option, especially for the price.

The Hypertech was also tested on a truck with JBA long tubes, BAmufflers true dual 3" with X pipe, and BAmufflers custom tailpipes. The a/f ratio ran 13.3/1 at full throttle. While most tuners would say that is 'safe' I'm more comfortable with 12.5/1 on a naturally aspirated Long Tube headers exhaust. No dyno testing was done given the afr, and there was no noticeable difference in power. The truck did feel more responsive and seemed to drive better, but testing was limited given the afr.

BullyDog tested with JBA long tube headers, BAmufflers true dual 3" with X pipe, and BAmufflers custom tailpipes exiting behind each rear tire at a 45* angle and slash cut. Tune set at Trail tune, Performance shift, Performance throttle, Speed unlimited. The result is better throttle response, noticeably more low end, noticeably more mid range, at 3000 rpm the throttle blade opens up abruptly making the truck feel like a turbo just spooled up. The transmission hunts for gears much less. It shifts much firmer. It's much more decisive and faster shifting. It doesn't down shift as abruptly when decelerating. You don't have to hold down the throttle as hard to maintain 65mph on the highway. Simply put, it enhances the way that truck drives in a very positive way. HP goes from 368 to 375 peak. Unfortunately this doesn't translate into any gains at the track, but with the positive change in driveability it is well worth the price. AFR is actually slightly fatter than stock tune bringing it from 12.5/1 to 12.2/1.

Turbo All testing has been done on a 5.7L crewmax 2wd. I will compile more specific info as I have time to ask Jbroas specifics. This system is a Spoolin' kit using stock tune, and some testing was done with TRD supercharger tune. We did a ton of the redesign and experiments in house. Stay tuned, I believe with a stock tune HP was 399 to the rear wheels!!

See less See more
#8 ·
Keith how's that blower install moving along? You threw me for a loop when I seen a for sale ad on your signature for TRD superchargers. You are selling TRD systems and you are not selling your personal supercharger?

Great thread, I noticed you touch a bit on the Hypertech. I do understand where you are coming from on the bullydog because of your modifications and the ability to tune for the mods you have. As for the Hypertech this tuner is the perfect setup for me. I like the way my stock Tundra drives but I just want to add a little bit of performance and spending $900 and change on the BD was not a option. This is where the Hypertech shines it is a 1/3 of the cost of the BD and easy to install.

Like I said this is a great thread based on your real world experience with these products and I hope this doesn't turn into another BD is or is not thread.

#10 ·
This is great info, keep it coming!

I know that cold air intakes don't really add any HP or TQ benefit, mainly just sound. I am VERY curious, however, to see if they actually produce a negative affect. If there is time, I'd like to see a comparison test with the Hypertech and CIA and Hypertech w/ factory box. I'm wondering if the Hypertech will take advantage of the CIA reverse the "negatives."

#11 ·
Ouch, just leave out the 4.6l Turbundra why don't ya?... I didn't want to talk to you guys anyways!.. Lol

#15 ·
Supercharged Tundra no Tune needed mods.
1). ASP or URD Smaller SC Pulley $ 150 and adds 30-35hp.
2). Stock Air Box Mod $5- $25 and adds 5-10hp.

These two mods will really wake up the dragon.

Adding an exhaust will release the fire your dragon is making.

#19 ·
Great Thread Keith..thanks for takin the time to put all this info together..!

#21 ·
Subscribed!
I've done some crazy things..more like experiments.. I thought I blew my motor the other day with too much boost..(I changed my Waste Gate Spring to 8lbs) and the motor cut off!.. Well luckily it was soo much Boost...... that my charge pipe Popped Off the Throttle Body! I'm calling that my "Boost Fuse"..-LOL
So I am adding that to "What doesn't work"... Don't use cheap hose clamps on the Thottle Body.....when you are about to double your Boost and throw a "Hail Mary"....:eek:
-
-

#25 ·
Currently have cai sc intake in beta stage as well. So far no cel. Yes the guys I am working with will post dyno gains over stock trd intake. They will also be selling them after we are done testing. Sorry no pics untill we are happy with design and powdercoat it. Also electric fan kit in the making as well. Again we will dyno for hp change there as well. Only problem is all pulls will be with urd pulley and stock exhaust. These guys just opened a new shop near me and plan to focus on tundras at the start so if there are some parts you would like to see made let me know.

Thank you Keith for the write up and for all the help in this community. Looking forward to seeing your sc numbers here soon.

Jbroas- did you manage to run 8psi after new clamps? Or is your boost fuse still in action :)
Looking forward to seeing the intake and the fan setup!

#31 ·
sub'd. I had never heard anything about the electric fan upgrade until this post. I am definitely going to look into that since I hate the throttle response of my truck. I will never race my truck, but would love to have more low end torque to throw you back in your seat off the line.

#32 ·
Is there a thread about which electric fan works best for our trucks and any tips for install? i did a search and found a thread with a bunch of people for and against the mod, but nothing about which fan actually works...

#35 ·
User TexasRanger was making them but got too caught up with his job to keep doing it. I have been working with him to get all of the parts together since his kits were so successful. He has them on over 20 trucks right now. I will continue to build off of his proven design. I will offer 2 levels, one would be just for a fun daily driver/toy which will never see towing duties. It will be less expensive since it will be a single fan. I will also offer a dual fan set up for guys whom will see occasional towing.

#36 ·
Hey Keith. Been a minute since i posted anything on this or any forum. So what is the word on running the hypertech with long tube headers? Bullydog wasn't so great for us NA guys huh? Would running either of these along with the URD MAF cal be bad?

#37 ·
I highly recommend running the bullydog trail tune with JBa long tube headers and true dual 3" exhaust. A/f ratio is 12/1 and the truck drives great!!

I recommend against the Hypertech because a/f ratio ends up being 13.3/1 which in my opinion is too lean.

However, if naturally aspirated with stock manifolds I recommend running the Hypertech.

#43 ·
I am looking for MPGs with a sc installed. Not that it is thatbig of a deal. I am looking to add a supercharger for towing duties in the Colorado Rocky Mtns. Just trying to do homework to make sure it is a good investment.

Anyone have any numbers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.