Trd cold air intake. - Page 4 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
has anyone just used the intake flow unit and the trd filter with the stock air box with good results?
The Following User Says Thank You to seerex For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (04-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
How tough are those trd filters to keep going? I know you have to oil them, which I also understand if not done correctly can gak up the MAF sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to gizzygone For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (04-20-2013)
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
[quote=shaker428;1012770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraStruk View Post
I'll chime in on this one more time. You can pretty much imitate a the TRD Supercharger airbox buy obtaining the same parts for you're stock box. Start with the TRD waffle air filter part # PTR43-00090 I believe it's around $65 and change. The identical filter the supercharger uses. Next, you can get the TRD "Intake Flow Accelerator" part #PTR 0334079 $27.76 The very part the supercharger kit uses and you are done. Works like a champ! Best of all it's designed by TRD.

If you have added the filter and Flow Accelerator to your stock box please post your thoughts. I am doing this tommorrow and was just wondering if you feel it was worth it or not.
I tried to find a pic on these are numbers you sent and i could not find them.... I saw that you posted pics but i keept getting for the pics you posted... Can you post them again?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmand83 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (09-06-2013)

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I did this on Saturday, as well as the charcoal delete. Thank you for the heads up on the part #'s and the idea as a whole.. The $70 I paid for the two parts is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 463.00 my local dealer wanted for the TRD CAI.!! I simply wasn't going to paying that.. Seems like a small HP gain from how it felt driving before, still too early to tell on the mpg as I fill up on Sundays.. The sound is noticeable with my TRD Dual Exhaust.. Not crazy louder/annoying but just a small boost (basically you can hear it breathing in when passing someone) It's only been 3 days but thank you again for the idea.

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraStruk View Post
I'll chime in on this one more time. You can pretty much imitate a the TRD Supercharger airbox buy obtaining the same parts for you're stock box. Start with the TRD waffle air filter part # PTR43-00090 I believe it's around $65 and change. The identical filter the supercharger uses. Next, you can get the TRD "Intake Flow Accelerator" part #PTR 0334079 $27.76 The very part the supercharger kit uses and you are done. Works like a champ! Best of all it's designed by TRD.

If you are into bling and aesthetics then fine, go for the TRD CAI. It does look impressive. If you are after the performance take the two part numbers and run with it. Save yourself some hard earned money.

Last edited by Tman357; 05-19-2015 at 06:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tman357 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (05-19-2015)
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seerex View Post
has anyone just used the intake flow unit and the trd filter with the stock air box with good results?

I have but left the charcoal filter in. I also have the trd dual exhaust and did both at the same time so can't say if it made any difference. I took the screen out between the intake tube and throttle body to get rid of the whistle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorCM13 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (05-19-2015)
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8d8 View Post
Hey all. Is $385.00 a good price for a new trd cold air intake? Also is it worth the $$?

Thanks!!
Why not get one from K&N?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Roll Your Rear Window Down Because The Truck Behind You Can't Do It" (RYRWDBTTBYCDI) Member #43
Black Tundra Club Member #405
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 AM
mdl
Premium MemberPremium Member

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,158 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
I would rather use the stock CAI with paper filter over the K&N. At least I would know my engine is protected from dust and debris out on the trails.

Supercharged 2007 DC 4X4, ASP SC pulley, JBA LT's, 3 inch dual race exhaust by Dirtydeeds, Shift Kit, Auburn LSD, AEM 325 FP, SABM, Icon, Camburg UCA, Coahbuilder1
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
I would rather use the stock CAI with paper filter over the K&N. At least I would know my engine is protected from dust and debris out on the trails.
Does K&N not actually filter the incoming air, or something?

"Roll Your Rear Window Down Because The Truck Behind You Can't Do It" (RYRWDBTTBYCDI) Member #43
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM
mdl
Premium MemberPremium Member

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,158 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBTundraDude View Post
Does K&N not actually filter the incoming air, or something?
It has to do with the finer particles that an damage your engine.

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

There are quite a few other tests/comparisons. In a nut shell the stock paper filter plainly filters best. I am a firm believer that our stock CAI is best and others are for looks and sound-but that is my opinion...

Supercharged 2007 DC 4X4, ASP SC pulley, JBA LT's, 3 inch dual race exhaust by Dirtydeeds, Shift Kit, Auburn LSD, AEM 325 FP, SABM, Icon, Camburg UCA, Coahbuilder1
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
It has to do with the finer particles that an damage your engine.

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

There are quite a few other tests/comparisons. In a nut shell the stock paper filter plainly filters best. I am a firm believer that our stock CAI is best and others are for looks and sound-but that is my opinion...

Interesting. I want breathability and sound is a bonus. I don't want my truck to be suffocating.

Then again....I don't know much about trucks. So, maybe I really only want more sound.

Last edited by HBTundraDude; 05-20-2015 at 01:57 PM.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just dropped the TRD CAI last night on my 2015. I purchased it from a guy on Craigslist for $200 who was parting out his truck for a trade in. It was only 2 months old so I thought it was a no brainer. There's definitely a sound difference, but I can hear the biggest difference when you get up to the 3k+ RPM range. There is some whistling as well and I'm hoping to go through all the connections once more to try and narrow down a source point. We made the swap at night in a Walmart parking lot, so we were just trying to get it done without spending too much time in the lot. I do some 1-2 hr drives on the weekend and will try to see if I get any MPG gains.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Does the TRD CAI from a 2010 fit the new 2014/15?
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocent View Post
I just dropped the TRD CAI last night on my 2015. I purchased it from a guy on Craigslist for $200 who was parting out his truck for a trade in. It was only 2 months old so I thought it was a no brainer. There's definitely a sound difference, but I can hear the biggest difference when you get up to the 3k+ RPM range. There is some whistling as well and I'm hoping to go through all the connections once more to try and narrow down a source point. We made the swap at night in a Walmart parking lot, so we were just trying to get it done without spending too much time in the lot. I do some 1-2 hr drives on the weekend and will try to see if I get any MPG gains.
Any MPG gain with the new intake?
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
Any MPG gain with the new intake?
I think there was some when I did this. It's been a while now. I reset the Avg. MPG reading on the dash on a 1.5 hr drive going between 65-75MPH. I got around 21-22 MPG. I don't know how accurate that is though. It seems high to me. Then, I got into the city on the same trip, it dropped it down to about 18-19 MPG. City driving was about 20 minutes going between 40-45MPH.

Since then, I haven't really reset AVG MPG on the dash and it sits between 14.2-14.7 MPG. This is pretty much city driving to and from work. I also have been a bit heavier on the pedal and not so worried about my MPG numbers anymore. I like to hear the bit of sound gains. haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in