Thinking about having a digital compass installed - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking about having a digital compass installed

I have owned my 2002 Tundra Limited since it was new - it's now nearing 178,000 miles.

I've been driving my wife's 2015 Camry - it has a lot of accessories, including GPS, backup camera, etc. One feature that I have come to really like is the digital compass that appears in the lower corner of the rear view mirror.

How practical would it be to have one installed in my old Tundra? I'm not savvy at all about this kind of stuff. Would such a compass require having GPS?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Beaumont

Last edited by Beaumont; 08-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Thanked 10,709 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
It's just a compass. You can find many compasses available. I have had one in every vehicle I have owned since 2004, and don't really see the need, however GPS is nice to have, and more functional than a compass.

You can possibly find a replacement rear view mirror with a built in compass, however it would require wiring for it to operate, can't say it's worth the time, unless you really like to know you are heading north to north-eastish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Wish I had gps..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 16,907 Times in 7,956 Posts
Mentioned: 777 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8950 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
Wish I had gps..
pretty easy to add it.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post
pretty easy to add it.
You talking Garmin/etc or factory add on ? Scout is out because I have an Obama flip phone... old school.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
You talking Garmin/etc or factory add on ? Scout is out because I have an Obama flip phone... old school.

If you have a 2014-17 SR5 or limited without nav, find a used stock head unit that does have it (has to be non-JBL on eBay, forum, etc.) and it's a plug and play swap, nothing else needed. I don't know for sure about the 2018-19, but I assume it would also work with a like year replacement.

And of course you can always go with a aftermarket H.U.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
cliffy (08-15-2019)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post
If you have a 2014-17 SR5 or limited without nav, find a used stock head unit that does have it (has to be non-JBL on eBay, forum, etc.) and it's a plug and play swap, nothing else needed. I don't know for sure about the 2018-19, but I assume it would also work with a like year replacement.

And of course you can always go with a aftermarket H.U.
Ahh, It never crossed my mind to check into this. I have a '19. I think the last time I messed with a radio was putting a Kenwood in a Chevelle or something. I've never worried too much about radios and music just usually kept what was there but now days the can do so much. Thanks for the tip! Do you know if the units that come with factory navigation need a paid subscription?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Ahh, It never crossed my mind to check into this. I have a '19. I think the last time I messed with a radio was putting a Kenwood in a Chevelle or something. I've never worried too much about radios and music just usually kept what was there but now days the can do so much. Thanks for the tip! Do you know if the units that come with factory navigation need a paid subscription?

No, they do not. If you want to update the maps every few years you need to buy an SD card with the new maps from Toyota or do like I did and find one on eBay for cheaper.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
cliffy (08-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in