STOPTECH or CENTRIC rotors - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Rock auto is having a 10% off sale on power stop by the way..

https://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

Power Stop Brake Kit Instant Rebate
See what we have from Power Stop Power Stop Rebate
Have you been considering a brake upgrade to provide additional corrosion protection against the elements? Does increased stopping power when towing or hauling sound like something your truck or SUV needs? Now is your time to upgrade!

From now through August 7, 2019, Power Stop is offering RockAuto customers a 10% instant rebate on two of their popular Rotor & Brake Pad Kits.

Evolution Geomet Coated - Power Stop’s Evolution Geomet Coated Rotor & Brake Pad Kits feature rotors that are fully coated, including inside the vanes, to extend rotor life and maintain that “like new” look behind open wheels. These kits also include Power Stop’s Z17 Clean Ride Ceramic brake pads that significantly reduce brake dust. If you are looking for a solution to rust related braking problems for your car, truck or SUV, the Evolution Geomet Coated kit by Power Stop is a cost-effective solution!

Z36 Truck & Tow - Power Stop’s Z36 Truck & Tow Rotor & Brake Pad Kits are specifically designed for trucks and SUVs used for towing and hauling, or modified trucks with lifted suspension and/or larger wheel upgrades. Each kit includes drilled and slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling and Carbon-Fiber Ceramic brake pads that provide severe-duty stopping power without sacrificing everyday drivability. This combination of rotors and pads delivers the extreme braking performance hardworking vehicles need!

To see the Power Stop Rotor & Brake Pad Kits we have for your vehicle, go to the RockAuto catalog and click on the "Brake & Wheel Hub" category and look for the parts with a "Star in catalog". Simply put a featured Power Stop kit in your cart to instantly save 10% off RockAuto's already reliably low prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 PM

Thanked 1,768 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post
Thanks, and tell me you didn't go from a Tundra to a Ram?!?!?!
"I didn't go from a Tundra to a Ram."

Feel better?

I switched to the Dark Side a year ago next month. And, don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Tundra, and I'm still a HUGE fan of the trucks. The newest Ram reminds me of how the Tundra was in 07 when it came out, with tons of features that nobody else had at the time. So I got me one.

If I wasn't looking at brand new trucks, well, A: I wouldn't have gotten rid of my Tundra, and B: I would have gotten a Tundra.

I can tell you, the Ram's stock brakes, while sturdy and HUGE like the Tundra's, groan and made a high pitched squealing noise until I took a small quiet neighborhood by storm and bedded them in properly. They don't fade and haven't warped yet, but if I keep the truck past the life of the pads, I'll be looking at better materials for the brakes all around.

I did have great luck with my OEM Toyota brakes, though. The factory brakes on both my Tundra's lasted over 40k with lots of towing and no trailer brakes... When I was shopping brakes for my last Tundra, the only reason I went with the slotted rotors and towing pads was because it could be done for the same or slightly lower price than buying Toyota OEM parts. If the OEM ones were cheaper than the upgrades, I would have gone that way for sure. I never felt like my Tundra needed more brakes.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Hemi eTorque 4x4
12" Uconnect, Air Ride, Pano Roof
Dearly Missed: 2010 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD Silver Sky Metallic
Front only Bilstein 5100's at top setting
TRD Rock Warrior Wheels LT 285/70R17E BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's

Last edited by riccnick; 07-25-2019 at 08:22 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OK, I think all my research and all the comments here have scared me into going with Centric Premium Rotors and Akebono Premium Ceramics. The ASP1303/1304 ones. I've run this combo on my wife's MDX and have had good luck. For half the price, I'll swap them out again if I haven't gotten rid of the truck by then. WHich I have no plan to do. After all, I would like to retire someday before I'm 62.... ;-)

I appreciate everyone's feedback/stories.
The Following User Says Thank You to bassett72 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (07-27-2019)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Thanked 6,570 Times in 3,948 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the update and keep us posted with your results.
Retirement ? I recommend it to all my friends . . .

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMonkey View Post
Thanks for the update and keep us posted with your results.
Retirement ? I recommend it to all my friends . . .
Yes, I'm only 47, but plan to retire around 56, at the very least be working less. I've work my butt off all my life and want to enjoy a lot more time with my wife and kids at some point. They will be in college around that time.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 40,846 Times in 14,674 Posts
Mentioned: 369 Post(s)
Quoted: 6629 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I heard in our area it's best to replace the brake fluid every couple of years or so to get rid of moisture/ over heated fluid.

I try to flush it once a year since I drive a lot. 1/4" clear tubing looped up on the bleeders to prevent air getting back into the bleeder. I have a mason jar with a barbed fitting to catch the fluid, also heavier so it doesn't tip over.
The Following User Says Thank You to tridacna For This Useful Post:
riccnick (07-27-2019)
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I just installed Stop Tech’s cryo dipped slotted rotors with Power Stop’s Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Pads about 6 weeks ago and couldn’t be happier. I installed them just before our 3000K trip towing my 30’ RV. So far they’re great, with minimum dust and zero noise. I choose them because I occasionally tow and also because I’m lifted and have oversized tires. They were also a great buy for the money and didn’t break the bank. I choose the Z36 pads over the EBC Green pads only because of the cost. But they turned out to be a great choice and they stop better than I can ever remember, even when new! Hope this helps your decision.

Note: I think it’s really important to properly follow the manufacturers “bed in” or “break in” procedure exactly. It’s not fun, but I followed the directions to the tee and my results were excellent!

2008 Tundra CrewMax SR5
TRD Package
3.5" Spindle lift
Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks set at 1.57"
Bilstein 5100 0-1″ rear shocks
Coachbuilder +2 shackles
Tuff Country Add-A-Leaf Rear Springs
BAKflip Revolver X2 bedcover

Last edited by vms_man; 07-31-2019 at 07:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vms_man For This Useful Post:
riccnick (08-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in