User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question on running boards.

I'm about to purchase running boards that are made from cold rolled steel sheets and powder coated black.

I live in Canada. Wlll these rust quickly? I know the steel is quite prone to rust. Just wondering how much protection the textured powder coat will offer?

Should I just stick to aluminum boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Powder coating is better than paint but aluminum will corrode more slowly. Want corrosion free you need to go to stainless steel.

It takes oxygen in the air in contract with bare metal to have corrosion with running boards and so I go with either chrome plated or a basic black that I can easily touch up if there are any scratches. Fingernail polish is a lacquer paint and I will use the clear version to touch up scratches on my cars and trucks as it is quick to do and lasts very well.

Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles. An ounce of prevention as the saying goes....
The Following User Says Thank You to Calson For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (07-16-2019)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
Powder coating is better than paint but aluminum will corrode more slowly. Want corrosion free you need to go to stainless steel.

It takes oxygen in the air in contract with bare metal to have corrosion with running boards and so I go with either chrome plated or a basic black that I can easily touch up if there are any scratches. Fingernail polish is a lacquer paint and I will use the clear version to touch up scratches on my cars and trucks as it is quick to do and lasts very well.

Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles. An ounce of prevention as the saying goes....
That's a good thought but the ice buildup would become a bigger issue than the one you're trying to prevent.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Better question , why running boards ( unless the truck is lifted like 6" and 35's )!

They all rust

Running boards , Bushwacker plastic fender flairs with the fake chrome bolts , along with chrome Bull Bar on the front ...... These are all in the same league of hidiuos

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
My truck has its door sill 24 inches above the ground and adding the running boards which are 18 inches above the ground I not only protect the sides of my truck I also protect myself from groin pulls.

I have had nerf bars and full running boards and never had a problem with rust. I touch up any scratches that have gotten past the primer and so there is no bare metal to air and oxygen contact and so no corrosion with aluminum and no rust with steel or stainless steel.

It comes down to whether or not one cares to properly maintain their truck or would rather keep buying a new one at shorter intervals. Even if I was rich the waste of letting a vehicle be damaged from neglect is not something I would ever do. But to each his own - obviously.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
@24hrsparky to each his own, what you don’t like or think is cool someone else may. I agree when I look at some setups I say why but I’m sure people look at mine and may say the same. If we all had the same truck this site would be useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2underpar For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (07-24-2019)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,193 Times in 4,446 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles...
You probably wouldn't. Because your driveway would ice over and then you would have to salt your driveway.
And not everyone has a heated garage with a floor drain and enough room to not blast everything else in the garage with hot, dirty, salty water,.....even if they did have heat and a drain.
Most people who wash their car in cold climates, do so at a carwash. But it has to be a day when the temps are above freezing so doors and locks don't freeze up. Carwashes are packed on days like that. And people don't always have time to wait in line for an hour.
So, it's easy to be condescending and talk like you're smarter/better than everyone all the time(which, I notice you do all the time) but you don't always know what you're talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Azblue (07-22-2019), Johnny 5 (07-22-2019)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2underpar View Post
@24hrsparky to each his own, what you donít like or think is cool someone else may. I agree when I look at some setups I say why but Iím sure people look at mine and may say the same. If we all had the same truck this site would be useless.
Agreed sir !

The Following User Says Thank You to 24hrsparkey For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (07-24-2019)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 AM

PS . With the powder coat you get 2 years of very little rust . After that not so much after rust gets up under the PC its game on .

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I had chrome plated nerf bars on my first gen Tundra. They rusted through from the inside out after 10 years. I replaced those with stainless.

My 2015 has stainless nerf bars. I was tempted to go with powder coated to avoid the shiny stainless, but the rust issue pushed me toward stainless. We have a lot of salt in the winter around here.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM

Thanked 10,709 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
I had the Yota stainless steps on my 2010, they held up well. The brackets that mount them did start to rust, but I also treat my truck with fluid film every fall so they still weren't bad or unsightly, just a few spots from rock chips that were red.

I also have the stainless yota steps on my 2017, and haven't had an issue, and coat the brackets with a little extra fluid film now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in