Amp Research 75137-01A Kit Key Fob Issue - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Amp Research 75137-01A Kit Key Fob Issue

So this is the wierdest damn thing I've had happen after installing the amp power steps. Not gonna lie the instructions do suck as many others have noted and there are decent images of wiring in some of the threads. The steps are working fine, both left doors activate the left step, both right doors activate the right step. All LEDs come on when any of the doors open (not the AMP LEDs, I bought some upgrades from Amazon as you'll notice in the pics - Amak Rock Light pods - same two wire hookup - frame mounted).

However, now my seat belt warning and airbag warning indicators in the dash are constantly on when the truck is on and my damn key fobs don't work anymore. At a loss. All indications point to some funky wiring situation, but all doors work...? This is a 2017 SR5 TRD. I'm going to rip the panels off again tonight and double check the wires. Might give AMP a call too, see what they say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3687.jpg (116.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3683.jpg (187.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3679.jpg (191.0 KB, 12 views)

2017 Black SR5 TRD DC
285/75R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs
TRD Dual Exhaust
5100s Front/Back, CB +2s
Firestone Air Bags, Cabin Control
Lock'er Down Console Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Did you disconnect the battery when you installed the Amp steps?
If not, try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and see if your issues still exist.

Did you unplug any plugs under the dash or in the kick panels that maybe you forgot to plug back in?

I had no issues installing my Amp steps on my 2014..

Good luck..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
The Following User Says Thank You to 1lowlife For This Useful Post:
seikoh (06-15-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've experienced very similar issues as described when wiring items on BMW's (my K1600GT and others). On a motorcycle forum, I belong to, we have a member that was an electrical engineer on the YF22 project. He described the CANbus similar to what I describe below. His fix was and still is the relay, which I've done numerous times on my bike as well as others to provide alternative power sources to accessories.

IMO you may have tapped into a wire that is monitored by the CANbus system. I believe (not known for sure, but suspect) that the CANbus system on the Tundra monitors very few systems (as opposed to German vehicles BMW or Mercedes which monitors all systems). The CANbus monitors amperage per system. Exceed the programmed amperage for that system (ABS, airbag, etc) and the CANbus will shut down that circuit to save the system (or at least the CANbus thinks it is saving the system).

Here is a suggestion that I would try; run a wire directly from the battery into a relay, use the wire you tapped into as a trigger wire for the relay, then from the relay power the lights. The relay should pull very very few amps as opposed to the lights themselves. That "should" fix the issue. Again, assuming the CANbus system is the culprit.

2016 Tundra 1794
ARE Tonneau Cover
7" BDS Lift
20" Fuel Krank Wheels
37X13.50X20 Toyo Open Country M/T

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have the power steps also, and I agree with the above statement, it sounds like the wrong wire might have been tapped into. If the installation is remotely the same as mine (think it’s close), I believe they use 2 signal wires in my install (grey & a blue) one being easily gotten to and the other further up and near the mirror buttons under the dash. I think you could easy help here if u take off the panels and show where u tapped for these signal wires? If it would help I can post mine for u? I about a year ago had to dive into this cause of a bad diode (fun stuff) and after I had to replace a motor (more fun)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Did you disconnect the battery when you installed the Amp steps?
If not, try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and see if your issues still exist.

Did you unplug any plugs under the dash or in the kick panels that maybe you forgot to plug back in?

I had no issues installing my Amp steps on my 2014..

Good luck..
@1lowlife Yep, I'm a dumbass, forgot to connect the passenger side white connection block pictured

In my defense, there was beer involved. Also, for anyone in the future who plans on installing the steps, here is a slightly different wiring option if you want to use the wire looms instead of trying to get the taps up next to the connection blocks. First two images are driver side, connection to the black wire under the steering wheel panel, the other connection in the loom. Second two images show passenger side wire loom connections and the white block I forgot to connect back up.

All good now, fobs work again and no more dash lights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3689.jpg (63.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3690.jpg (48.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (122.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (73.2 KB, 17 views)

2017 Black SR5 TRD DC
285/75R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs
TRD Dual Exhaust
5100s Front/Back, CB +2s
Firestone Air Bags, Cabin Control
Lock'er Down Console Safe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikoh View Post
@1lowlife Yep, I'm a dumbass, forgot to connect the passenger side white connection block pictured

In my defense, there was beer involved. Also, for anyone in the future who plans on installing the steps, here is a slightly different wiring option if you want to use the wire looms instead of trying to get the taps up next to the connection blocks. First two images are driver side, connection to the black wire under the steering wheel panel, the other connection in the loom. Second two images show passenger side wire loom connections and the white block I forgot to connect back up.

All good now, fobs work again and no more dash lights

Takes a big man to admit his mistakes.
We've all been there, all we can do is learn from them..

Glad you got it working again..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in