Something To Consider Before Buying A BAK - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Something To Consider Before Buying A BAK

Let me preface this post with, up until this week, I was super impressed with my BAKFlip MX4. Hadn't had a single problem, it didn't leak, it looked great, I would have purchased again.

Unfortunately, we had a little hail storm this week and my MX4 looks like someone hit it about two dozen times with a hammer. The hail wasn't that bad and I would have expected the thing to hold up much better. To top it off there were 4 or 5 other trucks in the same lot I was parked in. All with different brand tonneau covers, none of which had anywhere near the damage.

Just something to think about before you buy. If you live in an area that gets heavy rain or hail, you might want to consider a brand that uses better quality materials. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
As a comparison, I had zero hail damage on my Extang Solid Fold 2.0 from this large hail. The Tundra had $4,200 of damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hail2.jpg (187.2 KB, 114 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Iíve held off buying a tonneau for this reason and this isnít the first review that shows excessive damage from BAK compared to the other competitors.

I have yet to see a review of the BAK Revolver X2 or X4 with a hail review. Iím partial to that design as I donít want the cover to block the rear window. But I need some first hand reviews as to how it will handle the torrential storms that pass through north Texas before I drop $900. I donít want a cover thatís going to look like the surface of the moon in a minor storm.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have to assume they use the same level of poor quality metal in the revolver. Personally, I would stay away from BAK all together. For the money, buy from a company that makes a product that can stand up to hail.

And for the record, the hail here was marble sized. Nothing anywhere near the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PS View Post
Iíve held off buying a tonneau for this reason and this isnít the first review that shows excessive damage from BAK compared to the other competitors.

I have yet to see a review of the BAK Revolver X2 or X4 with a hail review. Iím partial to that design as I donít want the cover to block the rear window. But I need some first hand reviews as to how it will handle the torrential storms that pass through north Texas before I drop $900. I donít want a cover thatís going to look like the surface of the moon in a minor storm.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 41,172 Times in 14,836 Posts
Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 6240 Post(s)
This is a good example of why your're better off spending a couple hundred more on the F1 with the FRP exterior.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Exactly, or know what you are buying. The MX4 is aluminum, the Extang solid fold 2.0 is not. Not a fair comparison. If you are worried about hail, don't buy aluminum. The Revolver is a complete different beast, it is made of thick aluminum slats that would not dent and is covered by padded vinyl. Again if you are worried about hail, dont buy aluminum, but it is not poor quality materials, it is design.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Svcustoms For This Useful Post:
theoat (06-27-2018)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svcustoms View Post
Exactly, or know what you are buying. The MX4 is aluminum, the Extang solid fold 2.0 is not. Not a fair comparison. If you are worried about hail, don't buy aluminum. The Revolver is a complete different beast, it is made of thick aluminum slats that would not dent and is covered by padded vinyl. Again if you are worried about hail, dont buy aluminum, but it is not poor quality materials, it is design.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I read several reviews on other aluminum covers, none of which have the same poor resistance to denting that BAK products do. The fact is that they use either low gauge or low quality metal and it shows in how their products hold up. For the money people are spending, they should hold up to light hail, period. What's not fair is that they don't stand behind what they build. Again, just my opinion.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 PM

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Holy crap, hail up here looks like shaved ice.
How does the rest of the truck look after hail like that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
Holy crap, hail up here looks like shaved ice.
How does the rest of the truck look after hail like that?
Trucks fine, has a few dings but nothing like the BAK.

The Following User Says Thank You to i.weber For This Useful Post:
theoat (06-28-2018)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
I also respectfully disagree. What other aluminum covers are you speaking of that you reviewed? Also, Bak is not responsible in any way for hail damage. If your truck would have been damaged would you blame Toyota? No! Contact your insurance company, if they won't pay for the cover get better insurance.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.weber View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I read several reviews on other aluminum covers, none of which have the same poor resistance to denting that BAK products do. The fact is that they use either low gauge or low quality metal and it shows in how their products hold up. For the money people are spending, they should hold up to light hail, period. What's not fair is that they don't stand behind what they build. Again, just my opinion.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svcustoms View Post
I also respectfully disagree. What other aluminum covers are you speaking of that you reviewed? Also, Bak is not responsible in any way for hail damage. If your truck would have been damaged would you blame Toyota? No! Contact your insurance company, if they won't pay for the cover get better insurance.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
Josh, I bought the first one from you and I'll probably buy the next one from you too. No need to get your panties in a bunch. The point is that the hail wasn't big enough to cause any real damage, but the BAK is destroyed. Their website claims the MX4 is made from "high grade aluminum" and has a 400lb weight limit. But pea sized hail destroyed it? And yes, if my truck was destroyed from pea sized hail like it was made of tinfoil, I would assume that Toyota made low quality vehicles. So would everyone else!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in