Tonneau Cover and Side Step Recommendations - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tonneau Cover and Side Step Recommendations

Just got my 2017 TRD PRO, and love it so far. Perfect truck for my needs (ok wants).

This is pretty much my first truck, have been running Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commander since 1985. I had a truck briefly in HS (1980) and my wife had a little torture device Toyota 2WD pickup in the early 80's.

I want to add a hard Tonneau Cover & Side Steps & am looking for some feed back and experience.

For Tonneau Cover, I've ruled out the fold and flip covers, and am considering the: Truck Covers USA American Retractable Tonneau, or the UnderCover Ridgelander. I'm leaning towards the Ridgelander due to the use of racks (with or without cover) and its quick release. This seems to give the best balance of flexibility for my use. My concern with the retractable aluminum covers is crap getting stuck in the 'folds' and getting the mechanism clogged up. My neighborhood is loaded with lots of dirty trees and pin oaks. I've also read they can rattle.

For the side steps, I'm considering the wheel to wheel Rough Country Nerf bars with steps, or the N-Fab Hooped Wheel to Wheel Nerf Bars. I have ZERO experience with either.

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time (have had my XS1100 since 1981, and bought the Cutlass new), all my Jeeps were 10+ year ownership. The TRD will likely be the last vehicle I purchase new, and I'd like to set it up for the long haul with minimal fuss on the install of these items (don't want to drill, etc).

Great Forum so far!

2017 TRD PRO Double Cab in Cement
Mods/Additions: Roadmaster Active Suspension, TRD PRO rear anti-sway bar, Go Rhino RB 20 Side Steps, PE Ultra Track tonneau cover, Lund Revolution Bull bar, Piaa LED Fog Lights, RBP Fender Armor, Bedrug bedmat , Pop N lock Tailgate lock, Toyota LED Bedlights

Last edited by GUZZI; 09-09-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanked 6,384 Times in 3,803 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Garage

Nice ! I haven't seen an Excess Eleven since they were new. Congratulations on keeping yours all these years.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million

Last edited by MetalMonkey; 09-09-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, here she is. Love this thing.... 128K miles, all original (except exhaust and paint which was painted in 1989). I only ride it 5-6 times a year, but it still has its charms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36787_1450770862516_8163317_n.jpg (114.8 KB, 76 views)

2017 TRD PRO Double Cab in Cement
Mods/Additions: Roadmaster Active Suspension, TRD PRO rear anti-sway bar, Go Rhino RB 20 Side Steps, PE Ultra Track tonneau cover, Lund Revolution Bull bar, Piaa LED Fog Lights, RBP Fender Armor, Bedrug bedmat , Pop N lock Tailgate lock, Toyota LED Bedlights
The Following User Says Thank You to GUZZI For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (09-09-2017)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I have been researching both of these (tonneaus and steps/bars) for several weeks. I am also trying to decide what to get. I tend to do a lot of searching before I make a decision, and it drives my wife crazy sometimes.

For the tonneau:
Both options you listed seem very comparable and similar price, and they both have rack options. American Roll Cover seems to be a lower profile than the Ridgelander, so I like the look of that. The Ridgelander seems to have a slightly better slot / rack system that might be a little more versatile. I haven't seen the weight/load capacity of the Ridgelander, but I know the American Roll Cover is 550lbs on top (distributed) and you can even stand/walk on top of it, which may be a nice feature especially if you have a roof-top rack or cargo tray. I think for that reason, I am leaning towards the American Roll Cover, but I haven't seen much about the Ridgelander so you've got me doing some more research on that

For the steps/bars:
I was originally looking at the N-Fab bars/steps as well. I'm still researching but I think I might fork over the extra money and get the AMP Research retractable steps. I also was looking at...
Running boards: If I was going to do this route, I was considering the Go Rhino RB20.
Rock Sliders: If you're just going for the look of the sliders and not actual sliders with full weight support, check the Tyger Star Armor or the Smittybilt M-1. The Smittybilt won't work if you have the 38-gallon fuel tank. I was about to order these until I found out about the 38-gallon tank problem. Then I was going to order the Tyger, but Amazon won't ship them to California.
Bars/Steps: I also like both options you listed, the only reason I'm not doing one of these is because I would prefer to have full length access (can stand anywhere I want) and even have a place to step closer to the bed for bed access.

Let us know which ones you go with, and post some pictures. Also, whatever you decide to get, check and see if Josh from @Svcustoms sells them because his discount seems to be the best pricing I've seen anywhere.

2018 Limited CrewMax 4x4 🔥 INFERNO 🔥 :: TRD Faux ::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to silverhack For This Useful Post:
Svcustoms (09-11-2017)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Just found the Ridgelander says it supports 250lbs distributed, so I'm guessing you can't stand/walk on it. Looks like it's easy to remove, but I think being able to roll up the American Roll Cover and have almost full bed access would be more convenient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to silverhack For This Useful Post:
Svcustoms (09-11-2017)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Undercover LUX se
Weatherproof
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Bakflip and N-FAB. Nuff said.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Bakflip rollbak has been solid for me, been all over the Rockies, Moab, and Yampa bench with no issues. The Tyger steps have been nice too, weird that they wont ship to Cali.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,298 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going with Diamondback HD for sure.
Iron Cross either HD or Sidearms for steps.

2018 Smoked Mesquite(aka Vintage Brown) Platinum 4X4 W/TRD Pro Suspension.
Moonroof. Front window tint. Compustar Pro T11 remote starter.
IronCross Side Arms.
Bedrug Bedmat XLT
DiamondBack HD Tonneau

MI Tundra Club #1
Platinum Club #60
TWAC Club #76
RYRWDBTTBYCDI Club #57
2008 Grade DC 5.7 4X4 Slate Metallic (Gone, Traded in)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 AM

@GUZZI - there is a Ridgelander for sale from @DIABLODALTON
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sal...r-tonneau.html
not sure what your location is, if you're in Oregon.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have the BAK Revolver. It's a hybrid hard/soft. It comes with brackets to lower the tiedown system so it's still usable.

So far I'm very happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2393.jpg (200.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2395.jpg (192.0 KB, 40 views)

2017 Inferno CM Limited
OME - TRD 18" - 35" BFG - TRD Sway - N Fab

Last edited by Lo1dakota; 09-12-2017 at 01:24 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
It really depends on your needs and how you're going to use the truck when it comes to the tonneau. I usually keep my trucks for about 10 years and want to buy stuff that still looks good after a decade. I had a Leer 700 on my 2007 Sierra and it held up as well as the factory paint. I had to replace the lock mechanism once but it was easy and inexpensive. I went through a couple sets of nerf bars because of rust issues (I live in a winter salt state) so I'm trying the OEM stainless steps and will see how they hold up. The tonneau has a quick release system and once you master it, you can have it off in under 10 minutes with a friend to help you lift it off. If you mark the front and sides with a sharpie of something similar, putting it back on is a snap as well. Not for everyone, but i like the look and how it all blends together with the factory wheels, lines, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1130.jpg (207.1 KB, 52 views)

2017 Tundra CrewMax Limited (Silver/Black, Leer 700 Tonneau, Spray In Liner, Remote Start, TRD Pkg, Premium Pkg, JBL Upgraded Entune, OEM Brushed Stainless Steel Step Boards, 2" Toytech F/R lift; Moonroof, Floor Liners)
2007 GMC Sierra SLE2 Crew Cab, 5.3, short box (Sold with 97,000 miles)
1999 Tacoma Extended Cab 5 Speed 4 cylinder (Sold with 234,000 miles)
1997 T-100 Extended Cab (Sold)
1986 Regular Cab 5 Speed w/22R motor (Sold with 267,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in