Question about Line-X on Bushwacker flares - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question about Line-X on Bushwacker flares

Just a few questions for you guys that have done it already. I just had my chrome bumpers done with Line-X premium. Now I am looking at getting my Bushwacker flares done. I would assume it is best to have them Line-Xd so that it is the same texture for matching? Also, does the rubber seal fit back onto the flare easily after they are coated? Any issues with your flares such as warpage (I saw an old post last night but it was quite a few years old). Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Line-X.jpg (209.0 KB, 61 views)

2013 DC 4.6, Flowmaster exhaust, Undercover, V-leds exterior, LED interior, LED strips in door pockets/footwells, Pioneer AVH-P5100 head unit, Alpine Typr R 8" subs, Oracle halos/power indicator, BHLM, Fuel maverick 18x9 +1 offset w/ Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18, Aries bull bar/N-Fab Podium step bars, V-Leds Micro headlights, Rigid fog lights, GrillCraft grill with Rigid LEDs, ReadyLift 3/2 SST, ScanGuage II, Switched backup cam, Vleds 6K LED strips in bed, G-Tek SABM, Clazzio seat covers, G-Tek Fab sill protectors, Line-X bumpers, TRD front/rear sway bars, Pedal Commander, Hornblasters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bump....still looking at getting this done.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Rubber trim will not go back on.?the flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim. Should not warp if sprayed correctly. Slow light coats.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svcustoms View Post
Rubber trim will not go back on.?the flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim. Should not warp if sprayed correctly. Slow light coats.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
Is there a different seal that is used for the install after the Line-X?

2013 DC 4.6, Flowmaster exhaust, Undercover, V-leds exterior, LED interior, LED strips in door pockets/footwells, Pioneer AVH-P5100 head unit, Alpine Typr R 8" subs, Oracle halos/power indicator, BHLM, Fuel maverick 18x9 +1 offset w/ Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18, Aries bull bar/N-Fab Podium step bars, V-Leds Micro headlights, Rigid fog lights, GrillCraft grill with Rigid LEDs, ReadyLift 3/2 SST, ScanGuage II, Switched backup cam, Vleds 6K LED strips in bed, G-Tek SABM, Clazzio seat covers, G-Tek Fab sill protectors, Line-X bumpers, TRD front/rear sway bars, Pedal Commander, Hornblasters
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
my preference would be to color match the flairs so in your case (Red). Just a preference of course and that way there you know there can't be any issues with warping or the gasket not fitting back on.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra234 View Post
Is there a different seal that is used for the install after the Line-X?
We do not use a gasket, but there may be something out there.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
You install Line-X'd flares against the paint without a gasket??

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
From the picture the original poster has already installed the fender flares. There is a little rubber gasket running between each fender and the bodywork. I think he's asking if you can reuse that rubber gasket or have to get a new set and if spraying with a line ex or coating would effect installation.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 19,925 Times in 6,295 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeXD View Post
I think he's asking if you can reuse that rubber gasket or have to get a new set and if spraying with a line ex or coating would effect installation.
I'm thinking they don't reuse the gasket and the Line X is too thick for the gasket to be reused.

Quote:

Quote:
Rubber trim will not go back on. The flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes....that is the question...If I Line-X the flares what would I use before reinstalling them since the original seal will not fit.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra234 View Post
You install Line-X'd flares against the paint without a gasket??
The gasket ruins the paint anyway, so what's the difference?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
The gasket ruins the paint anyway, so what's the difference?
I saw a mod for a "paint saver" behind the flares. What part of Montana? I was stationed in Great Falls for 5 years. I loved it up there...beautiful state.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Some clear bra on the fenders might work. The previous owner put flares on mine and I can't take them off because there are deep scratches in the clear that won't buff out.

I'm in Great Falls. It's not a bad place if you can deal with the wind
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm thinking they don't reuse the gasket and the Line X is too thick for the gasket to be reused.
I believe I purchased my flaires from SV custom years ago. It came with a gasket so i'm curious the comment 'We do not use a gasket' I ended up not installing mine after many users commented how it left rub marks in the paint. If in time my fenders get scratched up then i'll throw them on.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Some clear bra on the fenders might work. The previous owner put flares on mine and I can't take them off because there are deep scratches in the clear that won't buff out.

I'm in Great Falls. It's not a bad place if you can deal with the wind

Ahhh yes...I remember the wind. I was there from 92-96 but could still probably find my way around...lol. They finally kick the high school kids off of Central Ave?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in