Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Recommendations on Headlight Assemblies

10K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  OldGuy43 
#1 ·
I've got to admit that I've been very disappointed in how my 14 Headlight assemblies have weathered. Very disappointed. I finally bought a repair kit and got the oxidation and crap off of them only to find that there tiny bubbles throughout the light pattern in the middle of the plastic. No amount of sanding or etc is going to fix them.

I'm rather pissed at Toyota right now. I've seen decade old lights in better shape than these. They still had the OEM halogens in them. Its not like I burnt with HIDs or anything. Terrible.

At the same time, I added Beamtech LEDs and they look fantastic but those bubbles are getting on my last nerve.......

Anyone have recommendation for the headlight assembly. I've been looking at the non LED Pro headlight assemblies but if they're going to do the same thing, then I might as well buy a TYC or some other brand.

I'd like to see some recommendations from anyone that has changed out the headlight assemblies and was happy with their choice of whatever they choose.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Reactions: sundance
#11 ·
Do the LED DRLs dim when you turn the headlights on?
If you prefer the DRLs to dim when the headlights come on (OEM), I believe that is a shortcoming of the HR harness. The DRL are the same brightness all the time with the HR harness.

iHacker has three versions of harnesses depending on the model year/trim of the truck, and if you prefer to have the DRL dim when the headlights are on (OEM). The dimming DRL version for pre-2018 trucks is the most expensive at $130 (includes a relay and some simple wiring under driver-side dash). You can either leave the amber DRL or delete them with a simple connector depin. If you leave them, they continue to function exactly as they did before, remaining on with the headlights (?), but brighter when used as a turn signal.

The non-dimming DRL conversion harnesses (HR or iHacker) for pre-2018/non-LED DRL trucks requires a fuse tap under the hood to power the LEDs. The iHacker dimming harness requires some simple wiring under the driver-side dash with no underhood fuse tap.

Doing the 2018 LED headlight conversion through HR is pricey. You can probably save $300 on the conversion by buying the iHacker harness set (little more $, dimming, high quality), and getting headlight assemblies directly from the cheapest dealer source. Consider the final "shipped" price, not the part price.

Edit: FYI, there are three different versions of the 2018+ LED headlights, so be sure you understand what you're ordering. In 2018-2019, there are two identical versions of the LED headlights on higher trims, except that they come in a chrome housing and a black chrome housing. These headlights have bright silver/chrome lamp dividers and reflectors. For 2019, there is a third version that comes on TRD Pro, and that housing is like solid matte black with chrome reflectors only...if I understand correctly.

TUNDRADUDE34 is a promo code that will net you a 5% discount on the headlights from Sparks. My dimming DRL LED conversion cost will about $750 all-in with incidentals.
Being I posted and actually read the iHacker link, TOCS link to Roman's pricing, and I'm smart enough to compare Roman's price to HR prices, I knew all that.
I have black OEM TRD Pro headlights, and I looked at TOCS link (when the 2018 lights were offered for sale) so I'm also aware of the different styles.
I read thru HR's info and didn't think their harness allowed the dimming of the LED DRL, and asked @Madmedic to verify.

Honestly I wouldn't buy anything from HR anyway.
Every LED bulb I've bought from them failed.
Yes they sent me new ones, but then they failed as well.
The contacts on the LED bulbs they sell are very thin and easily break over a short period of time.

The Sparks promo code is nice, but I buy all my OEM from @ToyotaOfCoolSprings
Roman has been very good to me over the last 4 years so I always buy from him.

Some members aren't as dumb as you seem to think, we actually do our own research.
I suppose it is nice you provided all that info for others, but there was no need to quote me on it.

#4 ·
https://www.tundras.com/threads/201...lay-harness-for-2014-2017-models-v-2-0.24416/

As much as I like my aftermarket amber LEDs of my 2014 SR5, I'll probably end up doing this.
The tops of my headlights are looking pretty scratched up.
I guess from using automatic car washes.
Maybe I should put blue painters tape on them when going thru the auto washes if I buy new ones.

My truck is paid for in October, I might do it then..

#10 · (Edited)
If you prefer the DRLs to dim when the headlights come on (OEM), I believe that is a shortcoming of the HR harness. The DRL are the same brightness all the time with the HR harness.

iHacker has three versions of harnesses depending on the model year/trim of the truck, and if you prefer to have the DRL dim when the headlights are on (OEM). The dimming DRL version for pre-2018 trucks is the most expensive at $130 (includes a relay and some simple wiring under driver-side dash). You can either leave the amber DRL or delete them with a simple connector depin. If you leave them, they continue to function exactly as they did before, remaining on with the headlights (?), but brighter when used as a turn signal.

The non-dimming DRL conversion harnesses (HR or iHacker) for pre-2018/non-LED DRL trucks requires a fuse tap under the hood to power the LEDs. The iHacker dimming harness requires some simple wiring under the driver-side dash with no underhood fuse tap.

Doing the 2018 LED headlight conversion through HR is pricey. You can probably save $300 on the conversion by buying the iHacker harness set (little more $, dimming, high quality), and getting headlight assemblies directly from the cheapest dealer source. Consider the final "shipped" price, not the part price.

Edit: FYI, there are three different versions of the 2018+ LED headlights, so be sure you understand what you're ordering. In 2018-2019, there are two identical versions of the LED headlights on higher trims, except that they come in a chrome housing and a black chrome housing. The 2018 headlight versions have bright silver/chrome lamp dividers and reflectors. For 2019, there is a third version that comes on TRD Pro, and that housing is like solid matte black with chrome reflectors only...if I understand correctly.

TUNDRADUDE34 is a promo code that will net you a 5% discount on the headlights from Sparks. My dimming DRL LED conversion cost will about $750 all-in with incidentals.

#14 · (Edited)
For those interested, this is what the 2019 TRD Pro version looks like. Notice the lamp divider is matte black. 2018+ versions are the same except have a shiny matte silver or chrome divider, and the frame outside the LEDs is either chrome or black chrome, depending on which you order.

Second photo is the conversion in progress and shows the difference in the appearance and light strength. Driver-side has 2019 TRD Pro version (first photo). Passenger side is the stock OEM headlight. Photos are of @Bprice06 Tundra. Nice Tundra. (tundras.com):

Attachments

#15 ·
I haven't bought from them, but discountbodyparts on Ebay has your lens for $112.83 . I can't believe a piece of plastic (I know, several assembled) goes for almost $300. <thud>

My '07 lenses were looking pekid the other day in the sunlight and I'm thinking of trying the buffing first, but '07 lenses are $70.15 on Ebay. ($70, $84, $92 from various vendors)

#16 ·
The headlights I got from HR were factory LED Headlights from Toyota, they supplied the harness and were the cheapest, best quality, highest recommendation of any company I had looked at...... I am very pleased with the lights..... I like that it doesn’t dim because it makes the lights brighter in my opinion, I would however, like for the LED to turn off when using the turn signal during the day because it buries the turn signal in the light and it is hard to see. Other than that I am pleased.

#17 · (Edited)
The headlights I got from HR were factory LED Headlights from Toyota, they supplied the harness and were the cheapest, best quality, highest recommendation of any company I had looked at...... I am very pleased with the lights..... I like that it doesn’t dim because it makes the lights brighter in my opinion, I would however, like for the LED to turn off when using the turn signal during the day because it buries the turn signal in the light and it is hard to see. Other than that I am pleased.
I'll post this for others looking to do this swap...

Perhaps you didn't know about the ihacker harness, it is $130 I'm guessing shipped.
The black 2019 TRD Pro headlights from @TOYOTAofcoolsrpings delivered to Dallas Tx is $636.
Actually with the TOCS shipping discount in the iHacker link total would be $624.
Total of $754.

Headlight revolutions (kit?) shipped to Dallas Texas is $942
I suppose HR orders them from a Toyota part distributor and tacks $133 extra to it.
HR would cost $188 more and you wouldn't get the dimming (that you didn't want).

@OldGuy43 has a point with sparks if using the discount he provided.
Shipping is a little cheaper with sparks.
Sparks total would be $600 to Dallas Tx, $36 cheaper than TOCS.
Perhaps Roman would match it, I don't know..
For me, Roman has gone above and beyond for me with his service.
My first TRD Pro headlight was damaged in transit, he didn't hesitate to send me another one and he dealt with UPS for the claim.
That is why I stick with him..

So;
HR headlights only are $789 for the pair before shipping.
TOCS headlights are $565 for the pair before shipping.
Sparks headlights alone run $580 for the pair, $551 with his discount before shipping.

I'm not even sure if HR has the all black 2019 TRD Pro LED housings.
Their website reads chrome 2018 or black 2019.
But the pics of their black housing have the silver in the middle of the headlight that @OldGuy43 described NOT being in the TRD Pro housings.

HR website

I've yet to see a wiring mod to turn off the LED when your turn signal comes on, but there may be one.
If you haven't already, replace your front stock halogen turn signal bulb with a good quality LED and see if that helps with your washout...

[ame]https://youtu.be/6BG2MIlR8is?t=529[/ame]

#19 ·
For this aging Tundra owner the most valuable part of @Crustyolddroolingguy43's posts is the summary of costs. I've been interested in the subject of 2018 LED headlights but for that kind of money i'm good with the stockers.

Thanks oldguy43. :thumbs

#21 · (Edited)
For this aging Tundra owner the most valuable part of @CrustyOLDdroolingGUY43's posts is the summary of costs. I've been interested in the subject of 2018 LED headlights but for that kind of money i'm good with the stockers.

Thanks oldguy43. :thumbs
Sensing that you're a cheapazz, practical kind of guy that's more interested in "function" rather than "form", you should just swap out the stock halogen bulbs for LEDS (see below). Consult @1lowlife for LED recommendations...he seems to have accumulated some practical experience. :lol:

For me, it was all about looks. I don't drive much at night any more; going out in the dark is for young tomcats like yourself. :boink:>:D

First, the TRD Pro grille (from TOCS), and now the 2018 LED conversion. For about $1200-$1500, you can make these SR5 trucks look like something more than a chrome-plated locomotive coming at you. These headlights are, imo, the biggest styling improvement in the basic Tundra since 2014.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Don't forget the FORUM20 discount shipping code for Coolsprings. I just got the TRD pro grille and with the discount shipping code, it was cheaper then sparks even with Tundradudes code. I know both are site sponsors. Roman has put in a ton of effort to let everyone know about options. I really appreciate it.

I also really appreciate everyone helping with choices! Awesome guys. Thanks for all your help!

#22 ·
Don't forget the FORUM20 discount shipping code for Coolsprings...
True...a $15-$17 discount on a $600 purchase is nothing to sneeze at. PLUS, the higher the shipping cost, the more you save. :whoa:

#26 · (Edited)
In stock configuration, the DRL (amber 2014-2018 or 2018+ LED) are significantly brighter when the headlights are off. When the headlights are turned on, Toyota keeps the DRL on but dims them down to 60% brightness. When you use the turn signal, the amber DRL/turn signal bulb flashes at full 100% brightness and is dark between flashes.

Deleting the amber DRL (amber delete) is a popular mod, and is an option regardless of the type of conversion harness used...I plan to keep the amber DRL. The same guys who wanted to keep their LED DRL at full brightness all the time are now complaining that other drivers can't see their turn signals at night because of the brightness of their LED DRL. :facepalm:

Believing that Toyota might be smarter about such things, I elected to go with the OEM-style dimming DRL harness. If the stock incandescent amber bulbs are later revealed as hard for other drivers to see with LED DRL at 60% brightness, I'll consider LEDs in the DRL/park/turn signal location.

iHacker is the only source that has the OEM style dimming DRL harness option. HR provides a harness that does not dim the DRL. Just like iHacker's non-dimming option, HR's installation is slighter simpler requiring only a fuse tap in the fuse box under the hood to power the LEDs. iHacker's dimming option is slightly more complicated requiring a power lead through the firewall grommet. This also requires removing the driver-side lower dash panel and kick panel, mounting a relay (presumably handles the dimming function), and making a couple of simple wiring connections using posi-taps.

iHacker supplies his harnesses to tundras.com members. You would need to join up and PM him about an order. Price for his non-dimming harness is $110, price for the dimming harness is $130. This is the link to iHacker's thread: https://www.tundras.com/threads/201...lay-harness-for-2014-2017-models-v-2-0.24416/

Reactions: sundance
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.