LED plug and play/aftermarket headlights - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LED plug and play/aftermarket headlights

Good evening everyone, I just recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Tundra limited TRD4x4. I've only owned the truck a monjth now but I have lots of plans for her.

1st thing 1st I'd like to get rid of the stock halogen lights and currently researching LED bulbs. What do y'all suggest? I'm looking for something reasonably priced and that's plug and play. Brands and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

If anything the thought of an aftermarket headlight replacement is a possibility. What do y'all suggest? I also would like the DRL's the newer models have and read something about the 2018 factory headlights will work on my 2014? Thank you for your time and helping me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1319227156_1525656347286.jpg (92.8 KB, 101 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,458 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...available.html

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought some plug and play LED headlights and fog lights from my buddy.. https://www.facebook.com/bassheadaudiola/
Love them and they made the truck look better I think.
IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg Still the old fog light just to show the difference in color.

2018 tundra TSS 4x4

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Toyota LED conversion with harness or just stick with halogens.

I looked and Philips seems to make the best setup.

Doesnít have any fans to worry about. Not the brightest but brighter then stock. Seems to get the better reviews when it comes to glare.

Toyota conversion is a lot pricer but itís from the factory so there shouldnít be any issues with inspection and the assembly was made for the LED lights so glare isnít an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I did the Philips on mine. Brighter and whiter than stock with just a touch more scatter (but a thousand times better than crappy ChiCom led drop ins).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Spyders...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad92646 View Post
Spyders...

How is the light output from the Spyders? I like the look of them, but I've heard a lot of negative feedback, saying the light output is terrible, so they were replaced with something else...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag8806 View Post
Good evening everyone, I just recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Tundra limited TRD4x4. I've only owned the truck a monjth now but I have lots of plans for her.

1st thing 1st I'd like to get rid of the stock halogen lights and currently researching LED bulbs. What do y'all suggest? I'm looking for something reasonably priced and that's plug and play. Brands and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

If anything the thought of an aftermarket headlight replacement is a possibility. What do y'all suggest? I also would like the DRL's the newer models have and read something about the 2018 factory headlights will work on my 2014? Thank you for your time and helping me.
Nice truck! I have the GTR Lighting Gen3 LEDs from Headlight Revolution. Awesome light output, great beam pattern with no glare (provided you align them properly)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
All of the LED bulbs in the stock halogen housing will have scatter issues. How much will depend on the bulb construction. If you try the bulbs, make sure that the low beam LED's have a 'cup' over them to direct the light in the proper direction to mitigate most of the scatter. Also, make sure that your local ordinance allows you to install LED bulbs. Some do not unless you have specific housing's designed for LED bulbs.

I would strongly advise to avoid any of the bulbs with cooling fans. They are, typically, loud and annoying on top of being a failure point. If the fan fails, the bulb will burn up.

You can get away with H11 LED bulbs in the fog/driving light housing. The cooling fan advice still applies.

The best option (and really the only proper way) is to use the Toyota OEM headlights with the wiring harness. It is pricey but you won't have any issues going that route.

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!

Last edited by UNTMatt; 05-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,045 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmax808 View Post
Nice truck! I have the GTR Lighting Gen3 LEDs from Headlight Revolution... great beam pattern with no glare (provided you align them properly)
^the no glare comment is just not true. Like @UNTMatt said, there will ALWAYS be glare with PnP LED bulbs in the H4 tundra headlights.

Anyways-
I ran the Philips Ultinon H4 LED bulbs for a while, retrofit my headlights, went back to H4 LED in prep to trade the truck in, and then decided to keep my truck so I bought the 2018 LED headlights.

The Philips H4 bulbs were good for plug and play bulbs, but still not great and there was absolutely glare. Not as bad as it could have been, but present nonetheless.

Retrofit was cool, but I personally don’t like the razor sharp cutoff. Look awesome though, so continue to run them until I decided I was going to demod my truck to trade in.

2018 LEDs look better than my retrofit (subjective for sure), and are OEM. I used the iHacker harness off the other Tundra forum, as my research led me to believe that is by far the best harness available. I rec’d the harness 3 days after purchase from iHacker. I received the 2018 black LED headlights and 2018 LED fog lights 3 days after purchase from @ToyotaOfCoolSprings

So far really liking the 2018 lights.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
UNTMatt (05-16-2018)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
^the no glare comment is just not true. Like @UNTMatt said, there will ALWAYS be glare with PnP LED bulbs in the H4 tundra headlights.

Anyways-
I ran the Philips Ultinon H4 LED bulbs for a while, retrofit my headlights, went back to H4 LED in prep to trade the truck in, and then decided to keep my truck so I bought the 2018 LED headlights.

The Philips H4 bulbs were good for plug and play bulbs, but still not great and there was absolutely glare. Not as bad as it could have been, but present nonetheless.

Retrofit was cool, but I personally donít like the razor sharp cutoff. Look awesome though, so continue to run them until I decided I was going to demod my truck to trade in.

2018 LEDs look better than my retrofit (subjective for sure), and are OEM. I used the iHacker harness off the other Tundra forum, as my research led me to believe that is by far the best harness available. I recíd the harness 3 days after purchase from iHacker. I received the 2018 black LED headlights and 2018 LED fog lights 3 days after purchase from @ToyotaOfCoolSprings

So far really liking the 2018 lights.
No glare IS true...or at the vey least, VERY minimal glare. I have been driving with them for a year, and I have Never been flashed by other vehicles on the road. As I mentioned in my previous post, the beam pattern is very good, so much, that it "appears" that there is no glare, even though there may be some glare present as you had mentioned. If there IS glare, it is only when the beam itself is directly in your line of sight. I have even checked it by standing at various distances in front of my truck looking at it from various height levels. There was no glare that I could visibly see, even though the light output from them is very good (I measured it at 1579 lux -usable light) which is why I am extremely satisfied with these LEDs.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is that measurement with the 2018 LED's, or with plug and play bulbs?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I tried the Ultinon plug and play lights. I actually got flashed by oncoming cars rather frequently. I have since installed the 2018 OEM LEDs and have not been flashed since. I personally think the light output out of the OEM LEDs is incredible, plus it is totally legal unlike the Ultinon bulbs which do not have a DOT number so are not technically legal anywhere in the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2016 SR5 TRD CM bone stock still under warranty
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aftermarket body parts never fit worth a damn, none I've come across anyway. I must warn you about the lamps I've used the light output is awful. I mean laughably bad. The beam pattern is not designed properly at all I would not consider them usable. That may not be the case for your car I can't say you'll need to do some research on that particular lamp. Amazon often has enough reviews to get a good read on things.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm using the GTR gen3 LED bulbs in my '14 Limited Crewmax, I must say these bulbs were worth every penny. There is a bit of glare, but guess what? There was a bit of glare with the stock halogen bulds too.
I think it's just the reflector design. No matter the output of these things can rival a 35W HID kit.
I highly recommend these bulbs. Dont worry about the fans. They don't, they're giving us a lifetime waranty on 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in