2014 SR5 Platinum Power Fold Mirror Install .. - Page 6 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I finally did this mod. I have a 2018 SR5 w/o memory. It went pretty good, all the wire locations were as everybody said but some of my colors were different. I ran the passenger wire above the plate under the glovebox without dropping anything else and ran it between the HVAC box and the firewall and then over the steering column. Everything zip tied out of the way.

I got the power folding mirrors off FB marketplace for $50 but they ended up being gouged up. I found out I could separate the housings from the folding arm assy by removing the 4 screws that hold the mirror adjustment plate and then the 2 screws that hold the arm to the housing then install my old, nice housings (see pictures). Now I've just got to make holes in the housings for the puddle lights (another day). Good news, these housings CAN be swapped.
You can see the difference between the powered and non-powered arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3869.jpg (192.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3871.jpg (125.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3870.jpg (184.1 KB, 20 views)

2018 SR5 DC
Power tailgate lock
Power folding mirrors
LED Bed lights
Bakflip MX4 Tonneau
LED Interior lights
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cropduster7 For This Useful Post:
B737 (09-11-2019), roboots21 (09-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anybody close to Dallas that can help me with this mod? Willing to pay
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"The only issues I ran into is I assumed that I could use the common ground on pin 5 for the puddle lights. This doesn’t work as it just makes a circuit to ground and the puddle lights stay on all the time. I ran that extra wire for the puddle lights in the 6-conductor wire and was able to just use that and tap to the other side of the footwell light."

I have the same problem and I'm not sure I understand how you addressed it. What I do know is the common ground pin 5 is also used for BSM which I want to keep. Did you actually move the pin in the back of the plug on the mirror to an open spot then run it to the floor light?

Also I noticed this morning my mirror switch does not have back lighting does yours?

I want to thank you so much for the post I would of never got my installed without it!

post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchase70 View Post
"The only issues I ran into is I assumed that I could use the common ground on pin 5 for the puddle lights. This doesn’t work as it just makes a circuit to ground and the puddle lights stay on all the time. I ran that extra wire for the puddle lights in the 6-conductor wire and was able to just use that and tap to the other side of the footwell light."

I have the same problem and I'm not sure I understand how you addressed it. What I do know is the common ground pin 5 is also used for BSM which I want to keep. Did you actually move the pin in the back of the plug on the mirror to an open spot then run it to the floor light?

Also I noticed this morning my mirror switch does not have back lighting does yours?

I want to thank you so much for the post I would of never got my installed without it!
It's been a while so going off of memory here .. but I believe I did not touch the wiring in the mirror itself, but I rewired accordingly on the connector end in the door going into the cab. Being I didn't have BSM, I didn't so much have to worry about that. The wiring might be different for that, so I'll see if I can locate it in the wiring diagram and perhaps provided some further guidance.

As for the backlighting, mine does not either. I think majority of the Toyota mirror switches do not have backlighting, which is silly.

And this is exactly the reason I posted this write-up so that other people could benefit. I'm glad it's still useful to folks!

New England Tundra Club Member #35

Click for Build Log ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
** N-Fab * ReadyLift * Weathertech * Dynomax * TonnoPro * TRD * G-Tek Fab * Raceline * Cooper * JBL * Alpine * Polk *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,463 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Glad this thread was revived.
Make my last payment this month and looking to do more mods that I really don't even need.

Trying to figure out it I'd want to go the 1 A AUTO mirrors mirrors.
I already run Muth signal mirrors and ran my own puddle lights..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 10-04-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any of you wiring gurus know how I can wire my existing puddle lights from a 16 platinum to come on with headlights on? Instead of just the 10 seconds after hitting unlock. I have these aftermarket puddle lights installed that project "Toyota Tundra" on the ground (eBay) and would like them on all the time the headlights are on. If I took the puddle light (+) from pin 6 and T tapped that into the running light (+) from pin 9, would that work? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191008-165835_eBay_1570734654898.jpg (43.0 KB, 3 views)
post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old Today, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone for a great write-up. I have a 2016 SR5 TRD with BSM, Heat. I purchased a set of 2014 OEM Platinum mirrors with all the bells and whistles (Including BSM). When I plugged them up, the adjustment works, the turn signal works, the heat works but I get the "Check Blind Spot Monitor, See Dealer" code on my dash. Also the BSM light does not light up on the mirror like it normal does when I turn the key on. Both my original and new mirrors have BSM. Any Suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in