Fortin Evo-One remote start - Page 13 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 279 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
All done , wires soldered and everything put back together, still works , whew. I couldn't get the obd plug to snap in right, anyone have a picture of what theirs looks like on a 14 and up?

Couldn't remember if fat part was on top or bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jordyd For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installed mine last Friday and it was pretty easy. Hardest part for me was actually cutting factory wiring. Just didn't want to do it. In the end I cut and completed and it is working like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnsanders23 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-02-2017), sroesch (01-01-2017)
post #183 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I've got the Fortin Evo One kit + harness + flash sitting here waiting to be installed. I was sick a couple weekends ago and it was freezing balls outside last weekend, but it's freezing balls this weekend too. Then again, that's why I got this thing, so I need to get out there and just do it.

I've never worked with vehicle wiring, at least not on anything post-1986, and I don't even have a soldering gun with me here in MD. The only part that's making me nervous is the wire cutting. I'm thinking I'm just going to have this done at some local shop, which will no doubt fleece me, but better that than ****ing up and who knows what.

Does anyone have any insight on what all this wiring cutting and soldering entails? I've seen several posts about installs but nothing about this part of the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lifted Tundra Club (LTC) Member #67
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 TRD
5.7 Liter V8, 4" lift (OME), RW Rims, Line-X, Extang TF Solid 2.0 tonneau cover, HID Retrofit, 15/5 tint, Debadged

post #184 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai19 View Post
I've got the Fortin Evo One kit + harness + flash sitting here waiting to be installed. I was sick a couple weekends ago and it was freezing balls outside last weekend, but it's freezing balls this weekend too. Then again, that's why I got this thing, so I need to get out there and just do it.

I've never worked with vehicle wiring, at least not on anything post-1986, and I don't even have a soldering gun with me here in MD. The only part that's making me nervous is the wire cutting. I'm thinking I'm just going to have this done at some local shop, which will no doubt fleece me, but better that than ****ing up and who knows what.

Does anyone have any insight on what all this wiring cutting and soldering entails? I've seen several posts about installs but nothing about this part of the process.
I only cut two wires. One for the ignition, it splits and ties into two separate wires from the Fortin One. And then the tpms sensor that also splits and gets tied into two separate Fortin One wires. I did that only because those were the only two harnesses I couldn't open. Everything else I was able to use a needle and a small screwdriver (with a tip about 3mm or so wide) to open the each harness. There is no reason to solder the wires in my opinion if you twist the wires back together properly. Just don't use cheap tape and you will be fine. 3m Super 33 is great for something like this.

2015 Tundra SR5 TRD DC w/Navi, Spray in bed liner, Heater package, TRD sway bar, Vled's led upgrades, Ranch Hand Nerf bars, Tow Package, TRD style dual exhaust by BaMuffler, 40" Light bar, non matching TRD PRO Grill/Bulge, Rear seat mod, Magnum bumper, Smittybuilt winch MGMC#338

2013 4Runner Limited
post #185 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpride114 View Post
Quote:

I only cut two wires. One for the ignition, it splits and ties into two separate wires from the Fortin One. And then the tpms sensor that also splits and gets tied into two separate Fortin One wires. I did that only because those were the only two harnesses I couldn't open. Everything else I was able to use a needle and a small screwdriver (with a tip about 3mm or so wide) to open the each harness. There is no reason to solder the wires in my opinion if you twist the wires back together properly. Just don't use cheap tape and you will be fine. 3m Super 33 is great for something like this.
I didn't cut any of the wires either. I just went back and edited my first / original post.
post #186 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM

Thanked 10,687 Times in 5,766 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
So, had my Evo-One installed today at a local shop. Price was right.

2017 Plat. When started the led/drl's don't come on. I can only assume they didn't tap in for them as I said to solder everything they could, and remove all unnecessary wires. So I assume they didn't tap for it. I will probably look at work one day, or wait till I do the anytime fog mod.

Other thing, which I am more interested in.

When remote started, and take-over is performed. The column doesn't automatically move back.

Is this normal or?

Thanks

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #187 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
So, had my Evo-One installed today at a local shop. Price was right.

2017 Plat. When started the led/drl's don't come on. I can only assume they didn't tap in for them as I said to solder everything they could, and remove all unnecessary wires. So I assume they didn't tap for it. I will probably look at work one day, or wait till I do the anytime fog mod.

Other thing, which I am more interested in.

When remote started, and take-over is performed. The column doesn't automatically move back.

Is this normal or?

Thanks
Do the lights turn on when you turn the key to on?

Don't have a plat - but when I remote start mine the DRL/taillights/gauge lights turn on. When I put the key in the dash lights turn off.
Powertechn2 (01-12-2017)
post #188 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyd View Post
Do the lights turn on when you turn the key to on?

Don't have a plat - but when I remote start mine the DRL/taillights/gauge lights turn on. When I put the key in the dash lights turn off.

When I perform take-over, yes they turn on.

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
post #189 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I usually screw things like this up - but I Was able to install mine no problem. It really is easy, there's a video on youtube that shows the process. I think there only 7 wires to connect. Hardest part for me was stripping some of the wires down as some of them are very small gauge and my wire stripper couldnt grip them. Bought a soldering iron off amazon for 20 bucks - soldering is easy.

Only thing I wish I would have done differently was instead of cutting the wires - just strip some insulation off an tie in that way. It was fairly easy though, just patience. Had to remove 3 panels total.
post #190 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
When I perform take-over, yes they turn on.
Hmm...seems like they should come on - don't have the plat but maybe someone that does can confirm.

Should be easy to verify if they tapped the lights though - 2 screws on steering column to unscrew and it snaps right off. Underneath is a small plug for the lights - green wire should be split and connected to yellow green on one side and yellow red on the other. Brown wire should be tapped into by the pink wire.
Powertechn2 (01-12-2017)
post #191 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyd View Post
Hmm...seems like they should come on - don't have the plat but maybe someone that does can confirm.

Should be easy to verify if they tapped the lights though - 2 screws on steering column to unscrew and it snaps right off. Underneath is a small plug for the lights - green wire should be split and connected to yellow green on one side and yellow red on the other. Brown wire should be tapped into by the pink wire.
Yea, I ventured outside to look, but then said hell no. Its been raining all day, and now it is 25, too cold and humid.

I assume they didn't connect them. Not really a big deal. I am guessing they also didn't connect the auto light wires.

I was able to look under the dash and they left all the wires, appeared to be heat shrunk and taped over. So I know the wires are there so I can always address this later or wait till they aren't slammed and have them check and connect them. They stand behind their work even though I didn't buy the unit from them.

I am more curious about the column function.

Maybe someone with a Plat can chime in on if theirs moves after take-over or not.

I figure it works when the key is detected in the cylinder normally. This might be just how it is as it has to fake it into thinking the chip in the key is there to start.

Been waiting on hold with Fortin for 18 minutes. About to give up and just wait and see if someone here responds.

I will start it later and see if the auto-lights come on or not. That will probably answer as to if they did or didn't connect either lights. Not dark yet.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 01-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.
post #192 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 PM

Ok, so the shop definitely didn't connect the wires.

Auto lights don't function when remotely started either.

I don't really care about the headlights at all. They look crappy anyways.

I will likely connect the DRL feed when I do the fog mod.

I have looked at the diagrams for the unit, and searched for logic diagram for the steering column, but found nothing.

I chatted with the service manager at my dealer and he said they could shut off the column/seat moving when shut off. That will probably be as far as I pursue it. I might try to chat with Fortin again when I have more time to wait on hold just to make sure they know of this issue.

post #193 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 PM

Thanked 1,739 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Garage
https://fortin.ca/en/qa/65802/power-...remote-started

idk if this might help? I swear I remember someone on here figuring it out as well.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Hemi eTorque 4x4
12" Uconnect, Air Ride, Pano Roof
Dearly Missed: 2010 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD Silver Sky Metallic
Front only Bilstein 5100's at top setting
TRD Rock Warrior Wheels LT 285/70R17E BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's
The Following User Says Thank You to riccnick For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-13-2017)
post #194 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
https://fortin.ca/en/qa/65802/power-...remote-started

idk if this might help? I swear I remember someone on here figuring it out as well.
Thanks.

I will try that and report back.

Thanks for finding that.

post #195 of 279 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Well, I tried what it said.

Still doesn't seem to work. Tried it twice, then gave up. Now I can push the memory buttons when I get in and it goes back, which it didn't do the first day... But still didn't do it on it's own.

Thursday the dealer is going to change some stuff in techstream for me, one of the items being to shut off the fat mode seat and column. I don't really care for it moving up and in anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in