Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Shift lever modification?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  2011 Crewmax Yoda 
#1 ·
Ok, this is a bit of a stretch, but has anyone ever successfully shortened the floor shifter? I swapped my OEM shift knob for a House of Speed custom shift knob and now it looks goofy. I want to chop it down about 3 inches to get it closer to the center console. Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The tricky part is going to be getting the thread to end where there is plenty of engagement, yet with the lead ending at a point where the writing on the knob is facing in the right direction. It may take a little trial and error to get it right. Or...just use a stainless lock nut to lock it in the right position.

Reactions: Dragos28
#6 · (Edited)
did mine a while back.
not sure what toyota uses for shaft material but this thing was hard to re-thread.
for some reason..
be careful to not apply too much torque on die as all the mechanical underside is plastic!
iirc,i had to grind the od of shaft down before threading.could be why it was hard to thread now that i think about it.
i did remove the shifter to do it.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I had the same problem when I wanted to change the shift knob from the horrendous stock SR5 knob. Any knob I tried looked out of place.

I ordered a TRD knock-off boot and knob from the big book-store-in-the-sky. The boot material was thin enough that it fit perfectly under the shifter trim without trimming it, yet stays in place as if it was stock. As a bonus, the shifter knob is small enough that the whole arrangement looks much shorter than stock. The slack in the boot adds to this "shorter" illusion. Which I like.

The fact that it matches my Barc Red truck quite well is just icing on the cake.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.