Finally getting around to doing a write up on my Katzkins install. I had custom ordered this truck back in February and took delivery around late May. My mods and upgrades are going slowly as the Florida summer heat makes working on outdoor projects miserable. For this job, I brought the seats in the living room so I could work in the a/c.
First off, a huge shout out to John Huey at Affordable Leather in Tuscon, AZ. He gave me a great price on this kit and walked me through the entire process. I probably called him half a dozen times and he was always extremely helpful and shared a lot of great advice. For those thinking of tackling this DIY, go for it. It's not difficult, they only go on one way and you'll save a ton of money. Plus it's kinda fun.
I won't go into too much detail, because John did a great write up already here:
Mine is just a quick thumbnail DIY. First off, the ugly, factory airline looking seats of my 2015 DC Longbed in Silver Sky.
Once I chose my pattern and colors, the seats were cut and shipped very quickly. I think they showed up at my door about 10 days later. I went with Katzkins Premium leather in black, perforated inserts and silver contrast double stitching.
Gonna need some Hogring pliers and a bunch of hogrings. Also some heavy duty cutters to cut off the factory hogrings.
Removing the factory cloth.
New leather going on. Install is pretty straight forward, there are metal rods buried inside of the seat cushions and vinyl rods sewn into the inside of the seams on the leather. The rods will line up and meet together and will be joined by the hogrings. These rods are what give the leather it's contour to the seat cushions.
Fronts took a little longer because I added seat heaters as well. Nothing too complicated. I ordered my heaters from TRD Sparks. Included instructions explain the install pretty well.
Front bottoms going on.
Fronts finished and came out perfect.
I waited until the seats were back in before I cut the holes out for my headrests. I don't know if it matters or not, I just thought it'd be easier that way. This was by far the most nerve racking part of the whole job. Cutting holes in your new leather is no laughing matter. Much like the space shuttle on re-entry, you only get one chance at getting the landing right.
And the final product. All in all, I had around 8 hours into this project. It was really fun, and I learned a new skill. Thanks again to John Huey for all the help!
Thanks for looking,