Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Viper 5901 Bypass Module

8K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  jxm1092 
#1 ·
What bypass module is everyone using for the auto start? I am currently in the process of piecing together the system. I would like the module to not use a key. Thanks for the help

#4 · (Edited)
I just got through installing the last component on my Viper 5902 this morning, the defogger circuit - what a bitch! (I believe the only difference between the 5902 and 5901 is the fancy color key fob, I'm told the 'brains' are the same)

I used the DEI DBALL bypass unit, it doesn't require you leave a key in the vehicle.

Some notes on your install:
I interfaced my Viper 5902 with the OEM factory alarm to utilize the OEM Glass Break Sensor I had installed. You will need to turn off the factory set 30 second auto arm or the pickup is going to sound the OEM alarm when you remote start it. I have to disarm and then remote start it before rearming it until my Mongoose Techstream programmer arrives next week.

I added 3 DEI 530T window closing modules (front, back, and rear slide). Those were pretty straight forward. The nice feature is all my windows are now full auto up and down, including the back glass. I gave up on the sunroof, I may try that again in the future.

The defogger circuit took me all morning to install. I couldn't figure out how to interface it without a serious mod. I metered every pin on the button panel to try and find the trigger wire - couldn't find it!
I ended up taking off the panel that contains the defogger button and stripping it down to reveal the circuit board inside. I began tracing the tracks back and was dismayed to see it goes through a complex circuit and a IC. The only solution I could think of was to use a relay to close the circuit where the switch is. I soldered a wire at either side of the switch on the circuit board and ran it to a relay. I then used the Viper defogger output to trip the relay and close the switch.
You need to change the mode of that defogger output on the Viper, by default it is on 'status' which means it goes low all the time. You should change it to 'pulse'. Its in programming menu 3, item 11, and option 3 (1 is status, 2 is latched, and 3 is pulse). In pulse mode it sends a brief ground signal, I used this to close a relay for that brief period, which in turn simulated a brief push of the defogger button. I spent all morning messing around with that blue and white wire from the Viper module, I never want to see a blue and white wire again :banghead:

I was going to do a write up on the install but it would have taken me as long to photograph and document the install as the install took itself. Its a lot of running wires, taking off panels, and serious headaches.

Good luck with your install.

#8 ·
The 5902 automatically makes the defogger output on the Viper module go low if the temp is below 55 during remote start, it can be set to pulse or latch for 10 minutes.
The 5902 also has a defogger button on the remote to manually turn it on if so needed.
The way I wired mine means I can turn it on or off using the remote, each press of the defogger button will cycle through on and off. I also get a visual on the dash when I get in the pickup as to whether it is on or not, including whether it was turned on by the remote start (if the onboard temp gauge thinks it is below 55), or turned on by my press of the remote defogger button.

Your method is much easier, but I prefer the way I have it set up now.

#10 ·
Quick off topic question for you. My keyfob is set to autolock, the buttons are a little too easy to hit. It only appears to autolock the keyfob after I arm the alarm. I don't normally lock the pickup when home at the ranch and that means the buttons stay unlocked. It also means it is possible to accidentally do a "Pit Stop" when exiting the vehicle (If I hit the remote start button on the keyfob as I reach to remove the keys it enters Pit Stop mode).
Is it normal for the 5902 to only autolock the keyfob buttons after pressing the arm button?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.