Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Need your Input, Please

4K views 72 replies 19 participants last post by  tonyspin 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I currently own a 2008 FJ Cruiser and love it. I recently purchased a home and it seems that a truck is more practical (renovations, appliance purc hases,etc..). Since I have had good experience with Toyota, I am looking at the 2010 Tundra. I have focused my search on a double cab, 4.6V8, TRD package with 6Spd auto. I have read about problems concerning camshaft gears, Error codes, tailgate seams, and other issues. I am hoping someone can tell me if these issues have been resolved at the maufacturer (maybe a certain build dates have corrected the issues). I am also asking for whatever input you can provide as to your own experience with owning a Tundra. Thanks in advance for your replies

#3 ·
Welcome to TT. Mine is an 07' and I have no problems with any of these. A lot of these problems you listed were over exaggerated. Some vehicles were effected by it but I think people made it out to be worse than it was. These trucks are awsome, They tow like no tomarrow. I have almost 30,000 miles on my truck with absouletey no problems so far,knock on wood. Good luck

#4 ·
The camshaft problem only affected about 30 trucks made in early 2007. The tailgates have been reinforced and no problems have been reported in a long time. I've had my truck for 2.5 years and I would definitely buy it again.

Reactions: 2010?
#8 ·
That does happen on several forums. I have a Corvette and on several forums some people do make a bigger deal of some issues, but there are several issues found on forums and dealerships and Maufacturers deny the issues. It's great to have a forum available for research and advise.

#12 ·
No. I don't recall hearing much about chrome. I don't have chrome, I hate chrome!

The paint is thin and scratches easily. Stay away from white too. Although white is the fastest, white trucks don't have a clear coat.

#13 ·
They used that eco friendly paint on the Tundras. It will scratch easy and appears they didn't put a lot of coats on it to be even more eco friendly.

#14 ·
Hey 2010?

I bought my 08 Tundra TRD last year for exactly the same reasons you stated. I had just purchased a new home and needed a dependable pick-up to haul stuff. I have loaded up my Tundra with several hundred pounds of brick-paver, bags of gravel, dirt, tools, you name it. I go in and out of Menards every other weekend. The Tundra handles very well with loaded bed. It rides like a 747 with all that weight in the bed and stops well due to the big brakes (good for safety). I recommend you get the 5.7L engine only because it will never be too small for the job and it is FUN and it "hauls ass". Also, I have my bed lined with Line-X so I don't have to worry about scratching or denting the bed. I've not had any of the issues you named. But I am always careful not to concentrate a lot of weight along the removable cover of the tailgate. The Tundra is a great truck and the TRD rides nice. I have had no remorse in buying my Tundra. I hope this helps.

#18 ·
Seriously these are really great trucks. I have had no problems with my truck as of yet (although it has been in storage the last few months).. But I do agree that the paint chips sort of easily. I had my front end touched up when I had the front bumper repainted.. other than that no other issues..

#22 ·
It seems that most of you would prefer the 5.7 over the 4.6? I just want to be sure that I do all the research. The estimated MPG is only one mile difference on the engines and the 5.7 is more powerful, but for some reason the dealership pushes the 4.6 on you.

#29 ·
Hey there are so very few people with problems with their tundras! Doesnt help that ford, dodge, and chevy owners make crap up either!!! Man go for the big motor trust me you will regret it man!!! If you have plans to lift it dont get the trd package its about $3000 extra and if you wanna lift it they remove all the "trd" suspension. Any ways man Good Luck in your decision and if you need anything hit me up!

#30 ·
Thanks! I was curious about the TRD package, because I think it is overpriced. I plan to use the truck for daily driving, home improvements, and errands. I dont have immediate plans to lift it, but it could happen from getting "Mod Fever" from the forums

#39 ·
I'm hoping that happens soon. I will be at the dealership tomorrow, going through all the trade-in process :rolleyes:

I already have a good idea of my price on the Tundra, but the trade in on the FJ is not estimated yet. I want them to give me top trade on my FJ, but you know how the bickering goes on during that stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.