Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

New Tundra likely in 2021... Shared platform with Tacoma, electrification

81K views 187 replies 46 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 ·
Reactions: theoat
#12 ·
Not exactly refuted ....

That was likely autoblog where Toyota responded

Update: Toyota returned our message for comment with an official statement: "Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) has been successfully implemented on many of our new cars and SUVs. While we're always exploring ways to improve upon our efficiency we have nothing to announce in regards to trucks at this time."

Which pretty much means nothing since Toyota never comments on future changes until they are made public.

#3 ·
If you remember where you saw that, it would be cool. Every article I've read on the topic says Toyota doesn't comment on future plans.

Frankly I don't know how they could put two different sized trucks on the same platform. I think the Tundra would be getting the short end of this since it doesn't sell nearly as well as the Tacoma.

#4 ·
So will the Tundra be smaller or the Taco be larger and will both become a hybrid of sort?

I dont really tow much but maybe a uhaul trailor now and then, so it might not affect me much
but those of you who do tow weekly or so, might impact you all alot.

#6 ·
This comment in the that article is interesting:
Carmaker1 • 4 days ago

Yes, that would be TNGA-F. F1 is the internal codename, versus actual program code.

The Tundra is supposed to enter production on or around August 3, 2020 at TMMTX. Sequoia the following calendar year, while unfortunately the LC 300 was "allegedly" pushed back (rumor).

The 4Runner is rumored to be redone for 2021, but that defies logic to me, when TNGA-F debuts with the Tundra and flagship Toyota BOFs. A "new 4Runner" for 2021 seems more like a very puzzingly belated second facelift or fake news to me.

Next Tacoma is being designed and current one has an EOP of July 2022. Next Tacoma equals SOP in Q3 2020. Current N300 truck was simply a major redo of previous N200 Tacoma (2004-2015).

#7 ·
Body on frame vehicles traditionally don't go modular like what everyone is doing with the "ONE PLATFORM, FOREVER!" thing going on right now across brands and markets with unit-body vehicles (crossovers, cars, and minivans). Although, when Nissan debuted the 2005 Frontier they claimed the platform was based on the recently new at the time 2004 Titan, admittedly pretty loosely. I just think it would be a waste of time to try and match two different vehicle class performance targets (i.e. strength and weight) with two vastly different sized vehicles that need to have vastly different capabilities. Sure, some component sharing could cut costs, but they already do that.

#9 ·
I just think it would be a waste of time to try and match two different vehicle class performance targets (i.e. strength and weight) with two vastly different sized vehicles that need to have vastly different capabilities. Sure, some component sharing could cut costs, but they already do that.
What components do the two share now? Seems like everything is different.

I don't believe having them both on the same platform is going to make a difference that we will notice. Supposedly Nissan uses the same platform for a lot of vehicles of different sizes: "The F-Alpha is an automobile platform from Nissan Motor Company which is used in their trucks and SUV's. The latest version of the platform is the basis for the Nissan Frontier and Titan pickup trucks as well as the Nissan Xterra, Pathfinder (2005-2012), Armada, Nissan Patrol Y62 and Infiniti QX56 SUVs, and Nissan NV series van."

I guess that means the Tundra will not push into the "HD" market. :dunno:
Swears flat out says no HD and no diesel, and he would know. Expect some sort of hybrid, though.

#8 ·
Only time will tell...
The 2021 date for the Tundra would follow the 7 year cycle.
Stream lining frames for efficiency wouldn't surprise me being Toyota (I guess that means the Tundra will not push into the "HD" market. :dunno:
Electrification doesn't surprise me as our Gov't, at least up here is pushing that way including commercial/ industrial building systems (although we have a lot of "clean" hydro generated power here.

#13 ·
In gen 1's or 2's the early 4Runners were based on the Tacoma. The Sequoia linked to the Tundra. I just seem to not be able to fathom, how you get to the Tundra 1/2 ton based truck thru a Tacoma class vehicle. Are they going to downgrade the Tundra to fit the sole purpose of sharing parts between the two?

If they can't increase Tundra's current towing numbers along with some better fuel mileage, I think your going to see the people who buy them to put them to work like contractors, pulling a construction trailer, landscapers, RVers...leave the market. Myself I test drove a F-250 (6.2 L) last week in preparation in what might happen a year from now when and or if the next gen Tundra is announced.

Personally I like the size of the double cab (2014). Unless your trying to fit a few of your 250-300 lbs. buddies in the back seat, DC is the right size. Mine is used to tow a 29' RV trailer at 7500-8000 lbs wet (loaded).

Attachments

#14 ·
Are they going to downgrade the Tundra to fit the sole purpose of sharing parts between the two?
Probably not. Whatever "sharing a platform" means, apparently it can be done on different size vehicles, like the Frontier, Titan, and NV van. I suspect the things the Tundra and Tacoma share will be invisible to us. Stuff that makes it a little easier and cheaper to manufacture both of them in the same facility.

There won't be an HD Tundra though. It just doesn't have the numbers, particularly among the "cowboys" who wouldn't be caught dead in Jap truck. The Tundra's niche is people who like Toyotas and want a big assed powerful truck with lots of room... primarily to commute in, and occasionally maybe tow something.

#15 ·
It's really not that big of a stretch to see how Tacos and Tundras could be built on the same platform and still perform well. The TNGA now underpins everything from the Corolla to the new Highlander, quite the spread of size and capabilities.

#16 ·
My thought may be way out there, but we may see the Tundra and Taco become the same truck, bigger than the Taco and smaller than the Tundra. The difference being trim packages. The Tundra could be the work versions of the new truck and the Taco would be the sporty off-road versions. It's a thought and I have no evidence to back it up.

#17 ·
Let's keep that as only a thought. That is as bad as Ford saying we will not build any more sedans. Opps, that is reality. Any next generation vehicle has to be a improvement over its predecessor, not a down-grade. I would be totally bewildered if Toyota went that route. Profit over customer...

#19 ·
I can see them using common components, possibly frame elements developed for Tundra and downsized for tacoma as well as electronic packages. Tacoma would benifit. Hope TMC will knock it out of the park. I won't be buying one, but hoping for the brand!

#21 ·
Would they want a V8? I often here Toyota truck shoppers mention the Tacoma MPG is so poor may as well buy a Tundra. Although not all which is why so many more sold Tacomas vs the Tundra. Of course maybe with a small V8 MPG wouldn't change much.

Wonder if the new Jeep truck puts a damper on Tacoma numbers.

#22 ·
Wonder if the new Jeep truck puts a damper on Tacoma numbers.
Latest news on sales:
https://www.expressnews.com/busines...-made-Tacoma-sales-up-but-Tundra-13811912.php

"The company’s Tacoma midsize pickup — built in San Antonio and Baja California, Mexico — led the way with year-over-year sales growth of more than 3,500, a 21.1 percent over March 2017. Tacoma sales in the first three months are up by more than 10,000 vehicles compared to the first quarter of 2017, a 23.6 percent increase.

Tacoma is the best-selling midsize pick-up in the United States, capturing 43% of the market.

The other vehicle manufactured in the San Antonio plant — Tundra, a full-sized pickup — is heading in the opposite direction. Its sales dropped last month by 6.3% from the previous April.

Toyota sold just 8,862 Tundras in April.

Toyota has sold 33,962 Tundras through the end of April, down 5.1% from the first four months of 2018.

The vehicle has only a 5% share of the U.S. full-size pick-up market.
"

#26 ·
Meh

Punch it out to 6.2 and up it to 100 hp per liter

#30 ·
Should be interesting to see come 2021 what is considered "New". If "New" in 2021 is the same "New" like in 2014 (ie a redesign and not a ground up change) then many will be disappointed (including myself). A few weeks ago (well before the article that started this thread) when I was at my local Toyota Dealer I had an interesting conversation with my long time service adviser (and big time car/truck guy).

He told me that the Tundra will get an "update" in 2021 and a full on makeover in 2024. Take it with a grain or ton of salt.
Did not make much business sense to me to spend the $$$$ on a redesign like 2014 then three years later update the important stuff (engine & drive train). I guess we will see what "New" is when the 2020 Auto show season comes around.

Interesting to note that the 2021 date is the common denominator in both the published story and what I was told.
Time Will Tell.

#31 ·
I think 2021 will be a major using the 7 year cycle, but I guess it is possible to through in a hybrid option with same cosmetics since the truck (even the 2007 exterior) doesn't look too dated even at this point.

#32 ·
Id like the A pillar not so raked on the next gen so you dont have to bend you neck to get in

#33 ·
^^^^^That would be nice.

I would also like the Driver's door grab handle back. My 2012 has it and I use it a lot especially when my running boards are wet/muddy.

Reactions: Cinder
#36 ·
They're currently looking at using the Land Cruiser frame. Japan wants to use the LC frame, all the American Toyota people are trying to convince the chief engineer in Japan to develop a new frame. LC frame would be cheaper, new frame would be lighter and stronger. There will be at least 2, possibly 3 engine choices. The main engine will be more powerful and much more fuel efficient, and will utilize some kind of hybrid technology "that has never been used before". It'll be a completely new truck, not just a face lift. Don't ask me how I know...Jk you can ask. I have a good relationship with a bunch of the guys clear at the top. One of them actually showed me a video of the new tundra out testing some rock sliders they're considering for the next TRD PRO. It looked a lot like a big Tacoma. I think that's all the info they've given me...

#37 ·
:facepalm:

#40 ·
I don't really care what it looks like. As long as it is on par or exceeds current Tundra performance in all aspects. No compromises.
And more importantly, the new Tundra is consistantly as durable and reliable as previous generations. Like what they did in 2007.
Not looking for what the other companies do: a new ooh-ahh truck every 2-3 yrs and count on people trading in as often so they never find out their truck wasn't built to last 100k.

#41 ·
The Tundra has had only cosmetic changes since 2007. It is long overdue for a major upgrade, especially in terms of crash protection for the occupants. I was waiting for the 2019 to be released with an upgraded Tundra and it never arrived. I cannot see waiting until 2021 in the hope that Toyota will provide an updated Tundra that can replace my 2500 diesel truck.

Although Toyota is the number one car manufacturer in the world by a very large margin, when it comes to 1/2 ton trucks Ford sells 8 times as many vehicles as Toyota. The main truck manufacturers sell a great many more 1/2 ton than compact pickups which is the reverse of Toyota that sells more than twice as many small Tacoma as it does the full size Tundra. Any way you look at it the people at Toyota are treating the Tundra as something not worthy of serious attention and R&D support.

#42 ·
And grass is green and the sky is blue.
What made you think the new half ton would replace a 2500 as opposed to the previous half ton?
It's still going to be a half ton, regardless of upgrades.
And what does it mean that Ford sells more trucks?
All that equates to is they have more name recognition and brand loyalty. They also have more failures and issues. More sales doesn't equal a better truck.
And yes, Toyota's bread n butter is cars and small trucks. They're not even trying to compete in the full size market. We should be glad they even waste their time making a full size so that we even have the option of owning a reliable half ton for more than a year. Everyone is aware of this. So, why still bitch that they don't spend the money on revamping it every 3 yrs? I don't get it.

#44 ·
Toyota is a different company, with a different business model, a different marketing strategy, different target customers, I different approach and outlook on engineering, etc, etc.
If you don't like the way Toyota does things, go buy a damn Ford and STFU already.
Some of us like their product and approach to things and don't exactly want them to become Ford for the sake of a new design every 2 yrs. We like reliability.
And for all the bitch queens out there, if it's so damn easy to design a new truck from the ground up every 3 yrs,...go build one yourself and let us know how simple it is. Oh, and get it to pass every regulation on the books too.
Sure, the big 3 are making an effort to redesign everything since about 2011. But their products are shit.
Also, Chevy got bailed out and Fiat bought in to Chrysler and helped them build a decent half ton.
Japan got devastated by a tsunami in 2008 and the DOJ sued them for 1.2 billion for a gas pedal issue that wasn't real and Toyota paid NASA engineers out of their own pocket to prove it wasn't an issue.
Try building a new truck every year with that kind of political and financial bullshit up your ass all the time on top of it.
They will never have the incentive to invest what other American companies do in half ton pickups. Even though they clearly can build a better one with half their brain tied behind their back. I wouldn't bother with it either if I were them. Again, we're lucky they even still offer a Tundra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.