Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Thrilled To Be Back!

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  danorox 
#1 ·
After a brief hiatus, I am happy to say I am back in the Tundra fold.

Back in 2016 I traded my 2008 DC (without a single issue beyond my perception that gas mileage was a problem) on a 2014 F-150 Eco-bust SuperCrew with 20K miles. Worst automotive decision I have ever made. Problems from the first winter I owned it.

After two years of owning that POS, I recently traded on an absolute beauty of a 2017 Barcelona Red CrewMax SR5 with 7K miles.

Not here to start any arguments with closeted Ford lovers, merely a proclamation that I am 100% thrilled to be in a Tundra again!

#5 ·
Thanks for asking! It's a '55 Pontiac Chieftain. Sitting on the drivetrain from a 1970 Olds Cutlass. 350 Olds Rocket 350...350 Hydramatic...3.73 gears...lowered 3" in the front and 3" in the rear...17" wheels and tires on the front, 18" on the back. It's a lot of fun. :drive:

I'll post pics of the new Tundra when I get a chance. Thanks for the welcome back, guys.

Reactions: MetalMonkey
#11 ·
^^^^ Sure, I'll bite.

I try not to bag on the other brands too much but I'll share my F150 experience.

As I stated in the OP, I bought the truck at two years old and 20,000 miles. The first thing I noticed at about 25K was how bad the front tires were wearing. The outside edges were well past the wear bars and, overall, the tires were worn very unevenly. Took it to a reputable tire and alignment shop and had it inspected and new tires installed front and rear. At that point I was told the front end was severely out of alignment (mind you, this is my commuter that tows my 17 ft boat 10 times a year; hardly worthy of requiring alignment at 25K IMO). It was aligned and for the duration of my ownership (15K-ish miles) I had no further problems.

The first winter I owned it, the passenger side turbo developed an internal oil leak on one of the seals. Because it was internal, the engine was burning the oil and not dripping on the ground (not enough that it was smoking excessively so I didn't notice). When I checked the oil, which I try to do monthly, I noticed it was over a quart low. I took it to Ford and was told the turbo was burned up from the leaking and would need to be replaced. It was replaced and off I went. After the repair was done, within a month it was leaking again and a second turbo was replaced. I was told there was potential for this due to a check valve in the PCV system that was prone to freezing.

Next was a master cylinder recall (no issue, these things happen). My truck was not experiencing the issue but fell within the VIN range for replacement. However, after the replacement, I started having issues. Ford corporate told me this was a known potential issue and bring it back for a second replacement. I did and had no further issues.

Then, at 40K I noticed a leak from the rear differential. After inspection, I could tell it was coming from the pinion seal. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the seal.

At this point, I had no faith in the truck. I got the truck back from the dealer on a Friday after the pinion seal was replaced and traded Saturday morning on the new Tundra.

In Ford's defense, they never questioned me once about any of the issues. I just brought it in and they fixed everything, every time, under warranty. Other than tires, I never paid a dime. But it is quite clear the only thing Ford cares about is how many F150s they can sell annually and they'll deal with the quality problems after the fact. In my mind, there is no excuse for the poor quality of those trucks.

This only outlines the mechanical issues with this truck. Not the terrible fit and finish of the interior, awful "premium sound," heater and defroster that were so pathetic that it was practically undriveable during winter in MN, and turbo lag that was so pronounced as to be almost dangerous on the highway.

This is merely my experience, but the blue oval will never get their fingers in my wallet again.

#14 ·
My business partner has a 2016 F-150 with the 3.5L EB and about 50k miles on it. It's been problem-free except for the excessive tire wear - he replaced all four tires at 30K and had it aligned and will need to replace them again in 5-10K miles. He's pretty anal about his truck and checks tire pressure weekly. 30K mile tire replacements seem unnecessarily expensive to me.....

#19 ·
Back in the olden days (2005-2010) my compadre bought a new F150 V8 Reg. Cab Longbed and filled it with tools which he topped off with a tonneau cover and rear sway bar. He could be an aggressive driver on occasion. The OEM Hankook tires lasted in the 80K mile range, plus or minus. They worked so well for him that he had another set of those same tires installed ~ then later sold the truck before moving to Hawaii. Some trucks and tires have different wear characteristics, I suppose.
Your Mileage May Vary.

#15 ·
I am in the market and on the fence after already owning two tundras on what to buy. I test drove a lot and really liked the GMC AT4, and the Ram interior and the drive was amazing. So I went on all the other brand's forums and man a lot of issues on both GM and Ram. Like the Fords, just don't love them enough, The problem with the Tundra is I can't get past the same look and feel after all these years and the aspect the refresh is coming soon. Wife is like get something new and different! I need a vehicle, but I am so brand loyal to Toyota it makes me sick.

#16 ·
Sparky, I am in the same boat as you. Wish I had a crystal ball. I was leaning towards a Sierra then started reading the forums. Just thinking of making a change for 2-3yrs, then move to new tundra redesign will have out and the bugs worked out. Or do the same with a 2020 Tundra. 50/50 right now. Just wanted a change; not sure if its worth it.

#17 ·
I rented a new F150 with the Ecoboost engine this summer to drive from Ohio to Indianapolis to pick up an MX-5 I bought. On that 150 mile trip I was not impressed with the interior quality at all, the ride was just average, the drivetrain felt a little loose though. But the mileage was incredible...24.33mpg! Dang, I had just purchased a well used '07 Tundra (my 5th) and I was thinking I should have ponied up the extra money and bought a nice pre-owned late model F150 Ecoboost instead of another gas guzzling Tundra. Then I went to the F150 forums and read some real horror stories. I then realized that Toyota had earned my loyalty time and time again. My signature lists all the Toyota trucks I've owned, not to mention 2 Corollas, 2 Camry's and 2 Lexus'. Not one of those vehicles gave me any major headaches. So, just a few months in to owning Tundra #5 I came across a pristine 2011 Rock Warrior and didn't hesitate making it Tundra #6 !
Never gave the other brands any consideration....mpgs be damned. The Tundra may drink a lot but they've proven to be the reliable friend you can always count on. Stay with what you know you can trust.

Reactions: MetalMonkey
#20 ·
Congrats Sparky! I'm sure you will love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.