"Distance to Empty" and Fuel consumption - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"Distance to Empty" and Fuel consumption

2015 Crewmax with 4.6. Use it for business and they are now changing how we are compensated for our vehicle and gas. So I have a few questions that I hope can shed some light. When I fill up, it shows how many miles till I'm empty. How come that number erodes a lot faster that my gas needle?? It seems like after about 10 actual miles that number shows maybe a difference of 14 to 15 miles. Also, has anyone notice a difference in consumption, say between driving 60 mph vs 70 mph? I notice that there is very small difference in RPM when I vary from 60 to 70. I am going from a gas card to compensated to 21.3 cents per mile. When I had the gas card I got use to driving at 70 and now I have to back off the go pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Miles til empty: My 2015 5.7L will display 325-340 miles to empty on a full tank during the summer. That number can drop to 290 in the winter. I figured it was gasoline formulation changes between summer and winter. However, the number shown usually tracks pretty close to how far I go between fill ups. For example, if I fill up and get a "Miles to empty" reading of 320 miles, I can reset my trip odometer and will be getting fuel in about 320 miles.

My fuel gauge runs to empty as the miles to empty approaches 0.

My fill-up is about 19.5 to 20 gallons when my "mile to empty" reading drops below 10 miles remaining. I don't count the 6.5 to 7 gallon "reserve" that remains.

As for mileage difference between 60mph and 70 mph...my first gen Tundra (with 4.7L) was very sensitive to speed increases. I usually could get about 16.5 mpg at a steady 60 mph; I once got 20 mpg under perfect conditions going cross-country with the cruise set at 60. At 70, that mileage usually dropped to mid-15's and below 15 at 75. My 2015 5.7L is somewhat less sensitive, but I can still see a drop of about 0.7 mpg between 60 and 70.

21.3 cents per mile seems pretty chintzy for mileage if you're using your private vehicle to conduct company business. Even if you had an economy car, I'm not sure 21.3 cents would cover your total cost of operating the vehicle on a per mile basis (fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, taxes and tags........)

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (12-30-2017)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
You put your full trust in any "distance to empty" indicator at your peril. When using it, you should think of it of a constantly updating "idiot light" that becomes ever more important as the tank level falls. The large reserve of the Tundra will protect most fools who will trust the accuracy.

I quit betting on the accuracy of "distance to empty" meters when I was left out-of-gas on the I-10 exit ramp to West I-620 Loop at rush hour in Houston, Texas. NOT a Toyota. (Some of most intimate details of your vehicle you have to learn through bad experience.) The nearest convenience store I found was maybe four miles away, and then I had to buy a gallon of milk and pour it out just to take a gallon of gasoline back.

Oh, yeah, I had to leave my nervous wife with the car. I got back to find her with the family 40S&W on her lap. It seems a van of scroungy characters had stopped to "help her", but left after she explained everything was under control.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 AM

I only started using or relying on the "Miles to Empty" reading after corroborating the readings against the fuel gauge and getting consistent results when refilling the tank. When that number drops below 10, the tank will accept 19.5 to 20 gallons to fill up to the automatic shutoff. It's been that way for 2 1/2 years and 40K miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I consistently refill 23-25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. I’ve seen some 25.5 gallon refills.

If I refill only 22 gallons I say to myself “ I could’ve kept driving.” When the DTE reads 0 I used to reset my trip B and could gauge how far I could go on the “reserve fuel”. I no longer do this. I know when it’s time.

But don’t be like me. Some would say I’m a bad influence on your fuel pump plus I don’t drive in traffic.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:14 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 31,913 Times in 13,836 Posts
Mentioned: 814 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5971 Post(s)
@Instrument53 You are putting too much thought in it.

I have driven either via company gas card or paid for mileage since forever.
Before we get started, are you getting a car allowance on top of the 21.3 cents?
If not you are getting screwed . Especially if you drive a lot of miles. If you aren't getting a car allowance you should be getting the max IRS for mileage.

Anyway, I just use my
A trip meter for mileage per tank
B for knowing when to change the oil.
C for total miles.

At my old job we just used to have to put the miles driven on our receipts.
Then we went to having to put the mileage on the odometer when we got gas on the company card and keep track of total miles for the month.

If you are worried about how the mileage difference between 60 and 70 is affecting your bottom line, you need to get a better job.

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 31,913 Times in 13,836 Posts
Mentioned: 814 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5971 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou_Tundra View Post
I consistently refill 23-25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. Iíve seen some 25.5 gallon refills.

If I refill only 22 gallons I say to myself ď I couldíve kept driving.Ē When the DTE reads 0 I used to reset my trip B and could gauge how far I could go on the ďreserve fuelĒ. I no longer do this. I know when itís time.

But donít be like me. Some would say Iím a bad influence on your fuel pump plus I donít drive in traffic.
I have caught myself a couple of times driving 15 miles or so after the 0 miles showed left. But usually I try to not let it get under a 1/4 because the fuel in the tank is the lubricant for the fuel pump as well as the coolant.

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Slim thanks for the input. Just checked the MPG and it came out to 18.5. Our company got bought out and we use to get 700 per month along with a gas card. That changed to 21 cents per miles and a reduced allowance to 492. So looks like there is going to e a mass exodus of the outside sales group. Poor guys in Texas all drive 3/4 ton 4wd diesels....
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument53 View Post
Slim thanks for the input. Just checked the MPG and it came out to 18.5. Our company got bought out and we use to get 700 per month along with a gas card. That changed to 21 cents per miles and a reduced allowance to 492. So looks like there is going to e a mass exodus of the outside sales group. Poor guys in Texas all drive 3/4 ton 4wd diesels....
gotta love buy outs..."we can do it much cheaper..."

2014, Limited, CM, TRD, 4x4, Sunset Bronze Mica
TRD Supercharger
TRD Sway Bar
BAM 10" Exhaust
NFAB side steps (hate em)
Tonno Pro Lo Roll
Pro Grill w/color match
"Brute Force and Ignorance"
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
The fuel light on my '07 begins to glow when there is about 8 gallons remaining in the tank, that tells me I have about 80 miles remaining at highway speeds. However, I prefer to never run bellow half a tank remaining.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any tips to improve distance to empty? Can we replace the tank wit a bigger one?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Horsepower is work done over time. You are using more of it to push a 6000lb vehicle through a wall of air at 70 vs 60. Only way in your situation to get/use more HP is to burn more fuel. Can't hide from the physics.

You could put wooden panels all over the side of the truck to streamline it for better aerodynamics. LOL...Too lazy to find that guys pictures.

Don't run with the tailgate down, that hurts mileage.

I get .545 cents per mile when I drive for work. It's decent when I go on a key west trip. ~2K miles total for the trip. I burn about 300 in gas so I'm getting about 800 for "wear and tear".

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymoco View Post
Any tips to improve distance to empty? Can we replace the tank wit a bigger one?
Transferflow makes a 46 gallon replacement tank. It's the one I'm considering. I'd like to go 10-14 days between fill-ups with my normal driving pattern.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 AM
AG2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRay View Post
Transferflow makes a 46 gallon replacement tank. It's the one I'm considering. I'd like to go 10-14 days between fill-ups with my normal driving pattern.
At fill up, the distance to empty considers your driving habits and MPG on your last tank of gas to estimate your anticipated distance on your new tank. But when you pull out of the gas station and hit a lot of stop and go traffic, your immediate MPG probably drops to 10 mpg. As you leave the gas station, the onboard computer recalculates your DTE based on your driving habits over the last few minutes on this new tank.
At least, that's the way I understand it and that's how I would design it too because your driving habits on that last tank of gas may be completely different than your driving habits today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2016 SR5 Double Cab Tundra - Stock
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
26 gallons tank. Again donít be like me. Be better than me. Refill soon as you see the light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2FB6DDFA-FB4B-4FF5-A08C-FBA4B93269C9.jpg (171.1 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in